PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Release LB Banta-Cain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots Release LB Banta-Cain
By: Ian Logue

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Tuesday that Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain will be released today....

Wish him the best, but excellent! Situational pass rusher only at this point, and not a very good one at that.

How much cap money will this save the Pats, assuming he isn't re-signed?

This is intriguing, so will they actually go out and try to find a starting caliber OLB, or will they just make due with the current depth, or lack of.

Last edited:
meh ..............

Mediocre guy gets surgery and then gets kicked off a building immediately following. Haha! Ooops, I apologize, that was impolitic.

Great move, when this guy gets paid he worries more about his music than his game.

Great move, when this guy gets paid he worries more about his music than his game.
Banta-Cain and Kerry Rhodes should start up their own clothing line. 'Raising Cain'. Resurrectin' Careers and sh it.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to miss The Banta-Cain-Spin-O-Rama. It never worked of course, but it was always good for a chuckle or two watching a new RT knock him flat to the turf every week... Still makes me laugh today. Hey wait... that's right. He DID pile up quite a few HALF sacks back in '10. Every couple games or so he'd surprise a QB who didn't see him still lying on the ground and would unwittingly scramble over him, stumble and sometimes get yanked down. Embarrassed, the original RT who had quickly moved on from TBC to block someone else, could only look back over his shoulder, shrug and say..."My bad."

Last edited:
Awesome move. I have nothing against the guy, but he's a situational pass rusher, and not even a great one.

How is releasing a situational pass-rush an awesome move? The fact is that Tully is injured and is unlikely to be worth his cap of $1.8M as the season starts.

Now, Belichick will likely to look for another situational pass-rusher who can play special teams as an upgrade to Murrell. Perhaps the player he finds will be an upgrade to Tully fo $1.8M, perhaps not.

Whether Belichick is willing, or even able, to sign a top OLB who will fit our system is another matter entirely.

BOTTOM LINE
We had a solid backup OLB who led in a couple of categories for us when he was forced to start. We had a solid special teamer.

We now need to replace Banta-Cain.

Awesome move. I have nothing against the guy, but he's a situational pass rusher, and not even a great one.

What???? I thought he was a solid addition to that team!

Must be preseason....Jet trolls out in numbers....

I couldn't find one here after Pats beat their team's green azzes 45-3 tho :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes