PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Receiving Corps against Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at the Patriots receiving stats heading into Week 7, there's a lot to like with the experience and production out of the receiving corps even without Danny Amendola.

New England Patriots 2013 Statistics - Team and Player Stats - ESPN

A five receiver set with Edelman (7 receptions per game), Dobson/Thompkins (6.7 RPG), Gronkowski, and Austin Collie is not bad. There's size, speed and ability to hurt you inside or outside the numbers in that group.

It would be really nice to have Vereen coming out of the backfield with these guys to really stretch out a defense.

The growing pains with the rookies (they have 40 catches between them through six weeks) should pay off as they drop fewer balls and get to the right place more often.

I see some struggles against a good Jets defense this weekend for this group, and limited production from Gronk. But overall, I like where this is headed.

Well just having Rob Gronkowski on the field being the best tightend in the NFL alone will open things up. But Thompkins looks like a rising star and Dobson is rapidly improving each week. Julian Edelman can get open on anybody with his timely and precise route running and quickness and the same for Austin Collie. There is certainly speed, quickness, and versatility amongst this receiving corps both inside and outside the numbers. #10 and #11 will definitely have to be paid attention to.

Really???????

we have no big time player on the outside...amendola will always be hurt in his career....now gronk on the other hand is a game changer

Where's the love for Hooman? :(

I think this week is as good as any to build their confidence on.

They must be flying high after last week's comeback and I'd surmise they're starting to get their mojo going. Having Rob back will alleviate some of the pressure off of the rookies. The Jets defense has been dominated by him in the last few matchups. He should be the focus of their gameplanning. If the other guys can make the plays they have been making, and limit the mistakes/errors, they have a great shot to doing some really good things on Sunday.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see either one of the two rookies have a big game.

Also some key points: Amendola didn't play the last time either so it's not really of any consequence. Neither did Bolden or Gronk. The difference is they have a good shot at suiting up on Sunday. Also, Dobson was only starting his first game ever, and that was Thompkins' 2nd game ever in a 5 day period as well.

I think the offense is way ahead of where it was back then.

Is this the week where Dodson and Co stop dropping balls.

Our offense is essentially Gronk and three WR3s. It should be good enough for Tom moving forward, as there is a legit #1 option on the O to take the pressure off Edelman/Dobson/KT. If one of Dobson/KT can become WR2 caliber by the end of the season, this offense will be ready to roll come playoff time.

One thing cool about this offensive setup that even the 2010-2012 lacked is having a WR3 worth a damn.

2010-Brandon Tate-near useless
2011-Chad Ochocinco-useless
2012-Deion Branch-useless

When Gronk draws a safety over the seam, KT/Dobson can take advantage of CB3s way better than those three ever did. It would of been nice to have one of these two rookies going against Corey Graham in the AFCCG rather than grandpa branch.

I'm excited to see this offense. I think they can start to roll once they gel. Amendola/Vereen will be bonuses.

Is this the week where Dodson and Co stop dropping balls.

To me they seem to be improving, and that's all we can ask. If they keep improving catching and mastering the playbook, we will have 2 great wr's come late nov and dec.

To me they seem to be improving, and that's all we can ask. If they keep improving catching and mastering the playbook, we will have 2 great wr's come late nov and dec.

I think there may be truth to both statements. You'd certainly be right in saying that they've improved, b/c they definitely have. I think as the season progresses (and Amendola/Gronk add to the offense) we will see Thompkins and Dobson continue to look even better. Practice makes perfect and the future looks pretty good for both of these guys in my opinion.

On the other hand though, let's hope they hit up the JUGS machine a little bit in the meantime and stop dropping so many balls.

Either way, I think that the receiving group as a whole can potentially improve upon last season's grouping of Welker, Llyod, Branch, and Edelman--if they aren't there already.

we have no big time player on the outside...amendola will always be hurt in his career....now gronk on the other hand is a game changer

With Gronk, Collie and Edelman working inside, Dobson and Thompkins are serious outside threats. Between them, Dobson and Thompkins are on pace to catch 107 passes during the regular season. And as you say, that's without Gronkowski drawing added attention from safeties through six games.

With Gronk, Collie and Edelman working inside, Dobson and Thompkins are serious outside threats. Between, them, Dobson and Thompkins are on pace to catch 107 passes during the regular season. And as you say, that's without Gronkowski drawing added attention from safeties through six games.

Agreed, Gronk changes complexion of Offense. Opposing DC have to plan for him now opening up seams & holes and Edelman is quite capable of exploiting those areas and Collie's Experience will help BIG TIME as well. Thompkins is a legit deep threat and Dobson can be used either way, just have to hold on better and although he has his drops it's fair to say he makes tough catches to move chains. He will get better, Dobson didn't have one drop incompletion in his final year in college so he does know how to hold on. If we can get Vareen & Amendola back and have our whole Offense together, this will be a special unit along with our Def.

Agreed, Gronk changes complexion of Offense. Opposing DC have to plan for him now opening up seams & holes and Edelman is quite capable of exploiting those areas and Collie's Experience will help BIG TIME as well. Thompkins is a legit deep threat and Dobson can be used either way, just have to hold on better and although he has his drops it's fair to say he makes tough catches to move chains. He will get better, Dobson didn't have one drop incompletion in his final year in college so he does know how to hold on. If we can get Vareen & Amendola back and have our whole Offense together, this will be a special unit along with our Def.

Dobson is talented, but the story about Dobson not having a drop in college is a myth. He had several in the WV and UCF games. See 3:29 for instance:
Aaron Dobson vs West Virginia & UCF (2012) - YouTube

It is all coming down to the Pats' o-line. If they can give Brady time, the Pats will exploit the Jets. The Jets' defense is all about their front seven (really front four) and their secondary absolutely sucks. They have a few studs on the d-line (Wilkerson, Richardson), but their secondary is just as bad as the Pats' secondary circa 2010.

In the last game with the Jets, Thompkins was burning Cromartie on a regular pace and Dobson was burning whoever was covering him. The problem was they couldn't hold onto the ball and ran bad routes. They are much better now than they were week 2 (Thompkins' second game and Dobson's first).

I expect Ryan to bring a lot of pressure on Brady. The Pats need to get the running game going to utilize the play action. That is a tough task because the Jets' are very stout against the run.

If Brady gets time, he will pick apart the Jets' defense. I think the group that will determine this game is the o-line, not the receiving corp.

It is all coming down to the Pats' o-line. If they can give Brady time, the Pats will exploit the Jets. The Jets' defense is all about their front seven (really front four) and their secondary absolutely sucks. They have a few studs on the d-line (Wilkerson, Richardson), but their secondary is just as bad as the Pats' secondary circa 2010.

In the last game with the Jets, Thompkins was burning Cromartie on a regular pace and Dobson was burning whoever was covering him. The problem was they couldn't hold onto the ball and ran bad routes. They are much better now than they were week 2 (Thompkins' second game and Dobson's first).

I expect Ryan to bring a lot of pressure on Brady. The Pats need to get the running game going to utilize the play action. That is a tough task because the Jets' are very stout against the run.

If Brady gets time, he will pick apart the Jets' defense. I think the group that will determine this game is the o-line, not the receiving corp.

I'm not really that impressed with the Jets D. They are 14th in points allowed, and as is the tradition under Rex they beat up on crappy teams, struggle with good ones, and play a style that is too risky and sacrifices points for the chance at negative plays.

Since Rex became HC NYJ the Patriots have averaged 30 points per game against his supposedly great defenses.

I'm not really that impressed with the Jets D. They are 14th in points allowed, and as is the tradition under Rex they beat up on crappy teams, struggle with good ones, and play a style that is too risky and sacrifices points for the chance at negative plays.

Their defense is all their d-line. If can buy your QB time, you can pick them apart. They are great against the run (because of the d-line).

But one thing about their defense, they are 22nd in opposing passer rating and only have one INT all year. They are also tied with 5 teams for 17th in passing TDs allowed. That just shows how bad their secondary truly is.

Since Rex became HC NYJ the Patriots have averaged 30 points per game against his supposedly great defenses.

And let's not forget that Brady historically had spectacular games vs. Ryan's defenses in the second head to head match up of the season.

Well the good thing is the Jets don't have Revis anymore.

Bad news is Jets are still ranked 12th overall against the pass so they are still above average there.

The good news is that the Pats pass defense has climbed to 13th overall against the pass!
AND Gronk is finally cleared to play so we can do some damage!

Also the Jets QB is... gonna be either Geno Smith or David Garrard??
Yeah... Geno Smith has a QB rating of 74.7, more passing INTs than passing TDs (10 vs 7), and Garrard hasn't played a game sinc 2010.

Let's eat em up Defense!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back