Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
March 08, 2006
Hawkins agrees
Safety Artrell Hawkins, who helped stabilize the Patriots’ secondary after joining the team midway through the 2005 season, has agreed to terms on a contract to return to the club, according to a source.

Financial terms or length of the deal, which has yet to be filed with the league, are unknown. As a technicality, the Patriots actually terminated Hawkins’ contract on Tuesday, with the intent of reaching a new deal with him.

Good move, excellent depth

Thats good news I'm glad to have him back.

Good deal. He really stepped up for us, and should be even better after a full training camp, plus gives good depth with his ability to play corner and safety.

The secondary seemed to solidify with him in there although it may have been misleading as the pass rush got stronger at the same time (and the opponents weakened) so I think I may have been able to play back there.

The interesting thing about him is he was fairly physical and as a 30 year old ex CB he should have pretty good speed for Safety. Plus with new DC Dean Pees being the one who suggested trying him at Safety, a lot of things suggest that he could be the #3 Safety next year (#2 if Rodney doesn't return on opening day) unless Sanders or Scott step up.

He played a key role in playoff drive. Much more comfortable with
him starting 9-10 instead of G.Scott. I'm assuming Rodney will be
ready a month or so into the season.

I like the guy's attitude, he looks to be reliable at safety.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Good deal. He really stepped up for us, and should be even better after a full training camp, plus gives good depth with his ability to play corner and safety.

I'm comfortable going into next year with Rodney, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, and Scott on the depth chart at S. Many fans are putting a high priority on SS in the Draft and are thinking we should draft Bing in the first round. I think we are ok for next year if Rodney contributes. I have no problem with a S in the mid to late rounds, but given the talent available at LB in the first and second rounds, I'd rather see us go in that direction.

This is great news! Really enjoyed watching him play last year, and with a TC and more time with the secondary, he should add even more to our backfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the least he can be a nickle or dime back. He also provides some backup to Rodney, who BTW, will start the first game of the year.

good signing.

kurtinelson said:
I'm comfortable going into next year with Rodney, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, and Scott on the depth chart at S. Many fans are putting a high priority on SS in the Draft and are thinking we should draft Bing in the first round. I think we are ok for next year if Rodney contributes. I have no problem with a S in the mid to late rounds, but given the talent available at LB in the first and second rounds, I'd rather see us go in that direction.

Exactly. Add Stone in there, who can tear it up on special teams and can also play some CB, and wasn't too bad as a starting safety, and we're golden. I don't see a necessity to draft a DB just yet.

Even if Rodney isn't ready for the start of the season, having him, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Scott, and Stone at S should fare well. I see Ventrone sticking to the practice squad barring any injuries.

At corner, all that's left is to possibly re-sign Chad Scott for pure depth. Gay will get his ERFA tender. Starting whoever shows the best camp performance from the group of Samuel, Hobbs, Poole, Gay, and C. Scott is likely. Whoever is left out provides depth, along with Poteat, Hawkins, Troy (if retained) and Bam Childress, in emergency situations. Don Davis is still around too.

Last edited:
A tremendous move. I feel very comfortable heading into free agency and the draft with Hawkins in the mix.

pats1 posted

"Exactly. Add Stone in there, who can tear it up on special teams and can also play some CB, and wasn't too bad as a starting safety, and we're golden. I don't see a necessity to draft a DB just yet."

-----------------------------------

A month ago, we needed a top shutdown corner with probowl potential and a starting level safety. We signed Poteat and Hawkins and we're ready to go. :)
-----------------------------------

With Hawkins AND Poteat AND Stone last year, we still needed a shutdown corner and a safety.
----------------------------------

BTW, I am fine with both signings. And Hawkins may have more potential at starting safety than Sanders or Guss Scott.

Great move.

What stuck out at me the most about him was his tackling. He didn't lay the wood, but he wrapped up real well and I saw many solo tackles that I'm not sure Samual would have made!

Unquestionably, Artrell brought the veteran leadership the secondary needed to get back to playoff caliber performance, being fast and capable of playing CB and STs just gives Pees another swiss army player for his arsenal. For giving up 30 lbs to Rodney, he still made a few guys reconsider their choices when he popped them.

mg, I agree with Pats1 that any "need" to draft another CB has been eased, but I still would like a matched set to compete with the current roster (before I finalize my needs, I retain the right to change priorities).

PATSNUTme said:
He also provides some backup to Rodney, who BTW, will start the first game of the year.

Boy if Rodney were available that early, that would be a huge bonus. I hope you're right. And yes, I do like the signing of Hawkins. G. Scott seems to be injury prone but I hope that changes next year. At any rate, as we've seen the past couple of years, we need all the backups we can get at DB.

pats1 said:
Exactly. Add Stone in there, who can tear it up on special teams and can also play some CB, and wasn't too bad as a starting safety, and we're golden. I don't see a necessity to draft a DB just yet.

Even if Rodney isn't ready for the start of the season, having him, Wilson, Hawkins, Sanders, Scott, and Stone at S should fare well. I see Ventrone sticking to the practice squad barring any injuries.

At corner, all that's left is to possibly re-sign Chad Scott for pure depth. Gay will get his ERFA tender. Starting whoever shows the best camp performance from the group of Samuel, Hobbs, Poole, Gay, and C. Scott is likely. Whoever is left out provides depth, along with Poteat, Hawkins, Troy (if retained) and Bam Childress, in emergency situations. Don Davis is still around too.
And do not forget about UDFA from last year Ray Ventrone..who will playing in NFLE. I think he's one NFLE player who may make it..maybe starting off as a 4th S..ST whiz.

I guess we're just playing with semantics. The patriots will not "need" to draft at any position come draft day. That is the philosophy of the patriots. There will be a roster that can start and backup, ready to go, without counting on any rookie.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Unquestionably, Artrell brought the veteran leadership the secondary needed to get back to playoff caliber performance, being fast and capable of playing CB and STs just gives Pees another swiss army player for his arsenal. For giving up 30 lbs to Rodney, he still made a few guys reconsider their choices when he popped them.

mg, I agree with Pats1 that any "need" to draft another CB has been eased, but I still would like a matched set to compete with the current roster (before I finalize my needs, I retain the right to change priorities).

pats1 said:

I have said several times that Mike Stone was a very close third on ST tackles, has great speed in comparison to Izzo, Chatham and Davis. He did this in fewer than half the season when compared to Izzo, Chatham and Davis. In short, a new ST star.

IMHO, Izzo is showing his age and the hits he has absorbed. I think of Mike Stone a former second round draftee, with near CB speed as the "new", "younger" version of Jerod Cherry, with the additional ability to play some SS in a pinch, something that no one wanted Jerod to try.

Izzo has been taking hits for a long time, and I think his game slipped badly last season. At 32, it may be time to yield to Mike Stone who is 28.

We all think the Pats will draft a LB or maybe two, Izzo yielding his spot on ST, potentially frees a spot for Claridge and/or the LB draftee.

AzPatsFan said:
Izzo has been taking hits for a long time, and I think his game slipped badly last season. At 32, it may be time to yield to Mike Stone who is 28.

I join you in expecting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back