PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Potpourri

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I knew they would not be players for the big money FA....but I thought they would have been more active with the second and third tier FA's

1. I am extremely surprised that we have heard nothing about Seward. Usually they leak something out to Reiss. I have to believe that no offer si going to happen

2. Surprised that they have not brought in a veteran FA QB to compete with Cassel. Why does he deserve such protected status.

3. I guess they don't think much about the available Free agent LBs and their price tags.

4. I think the Jets made an excellent deal for Jenkins and the Faneca signing was smart, despite the money. They had it...why not spend it. They will be much more physical next year.

5. I never would have predicted the Tank williams signing in a million years

Last edited:
Maybe their are waiting to hire a new head coach.

I knew they would not be players for the big money FA....but I thought they would have been more active with the second and third tier FA's

1. I am extremely surprised that we have heard nothing about Seward. Usually they leak something out to Reiss. I have to believe that no offer si going to happen

You didn't read Reiss' mailbag, did you? He fully expects the Pats to make an offer to Seward, unless Seward failed the physical.

2. Surprised that they have not brought in a veteran FA QB to compete with Cassel. Why does he deserve such protected status.

Why are you surprised at this? Cassel is the veteran right now with Gutierrez behind him. Gutierrez outplayed Vinnie in TC last year. That should tell you all you need to know.

3. I guess they don't think much about the available Free agent LBs and their price tags.

Why do you say this? Because they haven't rushed out to sign all the big names? Did you ever stop to think that maybe they felt that making the "big splash" wasn't their highest priority? That maybe finding the right younger pieces was?

4. I think the Jets made an excellent deal for Jenkins and the Faneca signing was smart, despite the money. They had it...why not spend it. They will be much more physical next year.

Faneca should help. Jenkins may or may not be able to handle 2 Gap NT position. Its not just about SIZE as Traylor and Steve Martin proved. I don't think that Jenkins is a good fit and the Jets could end up switching to the 4-3 because of it.

Many people wanted Williams signed 2 years ago. He came for the vet min on a 1 year contract. Its a "prove it" deal for him.

You didn't read Reiss' mailbag, did you? He fully expects the Pats to make an offer to Seward, unless Seward failed the physical.

Why are you surprised at this? Cassel is the veteran right now with Gutierrez behind him. Gutierrez outplayed Vinnie in TC last year. That should tell you all you need to know.

Why do you say this? Because they haven't rushed out to sign all the big names? Did you ever stop to think that maybe they felt that making the "big splash" wasn't their highest priority? That maybe finding the right younger pieces was?

Faneca should help. Jenkins may or may not be able to handle 2 Gap NT position. Its not just about SIZE as Traylor and Steve Martin proved. I don't think that Jenkins is a good fit and the Jets could end up switching to the 4-3 because of it.

Many people wanted Williams signed 2 years ago. He came for the vet min on a 1 year contract. Its a "prove it" deal for him.
I agree...with one modification...on teh backup..I do think a vet may be brought in..they usually have 4 QBs..(last year an exception)..but I can't see them having another rook.. WIth Brady more of a target the backup is important...Didn't many think about that during the PO run? Not a large priority..but I think it will happen later in teh offseason..)

I agree...with one modification...on teh backup..I do think a vet may be brought in..they usually have 4 QBs..(last year an exception)..but I can't see them having another rook.. WIth Brady more of a target the backup is important...Didn't many think about that during the PO run? Not a large priority..but I think it will happen later in teh offseason..)

Almost no team ever carries 4 QBs during the regular season, unless one of them is on the practice squad. The only time I can recall when the Pats carried four on the 53-man roster is 2000; heck, they started the 2006 season with only Cassel backing up Brady.

Nope, another developmental kid at QB as a 4th arm for training camp.

Look at how the team played late in the season. Had Brady been injured, no 'vet QB' was gonna save the bacon. As DaB said, the 'kids' beat out veteran VT, so why sign yet another vet QB at over $1M in an exercize in futility to replace Brady in an emergency? Between Cassie and Gutz, it's as good as you're gonna get without spending several million in cap space and most likely still not geting the job done.

Last edited:

Why on #5? He was a decent SS before his injuries. If he's healthy, he is still young enough. We have no backup after Rodney and Sanders is no more than a backup. In fact they draft another Safety IMO. Three or four safeties in the draft that are an upgrade over Sanders. He rots. Starting safeties will be Harrison and Merriweather. I might even dangle Sanders to Dimitroff in Atlanta plus a choice for Hall.
DW Toys

Don't be shocked if the Pats take a hard look at Henne as another QB in the 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes