PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Playoff Game Set, AFC Divisional Match-Up Set for Jan 11th at 8:15pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NBC: Patriots to Play on Saturday Jan 11 at 8:15

I don't understand that at all.

Usually, the #1 seed gets the Saturday slot and the #2 seed gets the Sunday slot - - the extra day rest/prep is a nice advantage for the Conference Championship game.

I don't understand how the Pats lucked out there, but I love it!

Didn't happen during the Jets debacle in the 2010 season. Pats were #1 seed but had the 4:30 game on Sunday. That said, I am a little surprised by this decision as well, as I would have expected the NFL to want to showcase the Manning Broncos again in prime time.

Pats are 4-0 in the AFC Championship when they win a Saturday divisonal playoff game.

Didn't happen during the Jets debacle in the 2010 season. Pats were #1 seed but had the 4:30 game on Sunday. That said, I am a little surprised by this decision as well, as I would have expected the NFL to want to showcase the Manning Broncos again in prime time.

Maybe they're trying to give him warmer weather for a few hours? Will be 2:40 local kickoff in Denver instead of 6:15.

Maybe they're trying to give him warmer weather for a few hours? Will be 2:40 local kickoff in Denver instead of 6:15.

that's a good point, i'm sure the NFL checked the weather so as to ensure a manning victory.

Usually, the #1 seed gets the Saturday slot and the #2 seed gets the Sunday slot - - the extra day rest/prep is a nice advantage for the Conference Championship game.

The Seahawks have a Saturday game. Anyone know how they decide who gets which days? Is there some sort of formula?

good...now i can plan on when to get there :D

I never understand why they give the 2nd seed an extra day (assuming both 1st and 2nd seeds win)

I think in this case it makes sense, if both top seeds are expected to advance. Assuming they survive the first game, whatever advantage the Pats might get from the extra day would be mitigated by having to travel to Denver.

Not true at all. It is al based on who will get the ratings.

Here is the breakdown for the 8pm Divisional game

Divisional Round(going by year played in not season)
AFC 8pm games
6 games
#1 seed played 04,08,10,12
#2 seed played 02,06

NFC 8pm games
6 games
#1 seed 11
#2 seed 03,05,07,09,13

12 games
#1 seed 5 games
#2 seed 7 games

And here are the breakdown for days played for #1 seed since 2001 for divisional round

AFC: Sun,Sun,Sat.Sat,Sun,Sun,Sat,Sat.Sat,Sun,Sat,Sat

NFC:Sun,Sat,Sun,Sun.Sat,Sun,Sun,Sun,Sat,Sat,Sun,Su n

Saturday is great. Our magical run started in snowy Foxboro against the Raiders on a Saturday night and we were the number 2seed that year. I even remember the song that CBS had for the intro. I still have that game taped and need to convert it to a DVD ! I loved that kind of snowy conditions for a game and Brady thrives in that .

I was hoping for the earlier game but at least it's not a late Sunday game.

Re: 1/11/14 8:15 Indy/Cincy/KC @NE 8:15pm

I'd think this would be an advantage for us.

We have the extra week alreayd and out opponents may be facing a shortened week. If (I always have to qualify things with if) we make it to the conference game, we'll either have an extra day or our opponents make have a short week.

I don't see the downside.

Works good for me, I'll be in India so the late game works better for me, a nice early Sunday morning game rather than at 2am.

NBC: Patriots to Play on Saturday Jan 11 at 8:15

Like it, because usually we win the game and then win the AFCCG following. So no objections here.

A rare weekend evening/prime time game. One that will see our likeliest opponent, Cincy, playing in its most unusual elements of the season (Saturday night away from home in front of the biggest of audience). One that affords the winner (Patriots) an extra evening to rest/prep for their opponent in the AFC championship game.

I can understand fans in Africa/Asia/Europe not finding the time ideal (or even those in EST/AST who have to work early Sunday morning), however, all Patriot fans should be overall pleased. Every extra little advantage is the important consideration.......

A rare weekend evening/prime time game. One that will see our likeliest opponent, Cincy, playing in its most unusual elements of the season (Saturday night away from home in front of the biggest of audience). One that affords the winner (Patriots) an extra evening to rest/prep for their opponent in the AFC championship game.

I can understand fans in Africa/Asia/Europe not finding the time ideal (or even those in EST/AST who have to work early Sunday morning), however, all Patriot fans should be overall pleased. Every extra little advantage is the important consideration.......

I'm so happy we got this time slot. Game begins at 11:45am on Sunday here so I don't have to worry about getting up early and getting to sleep early on the Sunday night. Will be going to the sports bar here in town and watching with a few beers to calm the nerves.

I'm so happy we got this time slot. Game begins at 11:45am on Sunday here so I don't have to worry about getting up early and getting to sleep early on the Sunday night. Will be going to the sports bar here in town and watching with a few beers to calm the nerves.

That's great--biggest game of the year and it is starting late enough that you can drink. If it would have been a 4:15pm EST start time that would have made it a 7:45am time start for you. Drinking at that time, game or no game, just makes it seem like you have a problem ;)

That's great--biggest game of the year and it is starting late enough that you can drink. If it would have been a 4:15pm EST start time that would have made it a 7:45am time start for you. Drinking at that time, game or no game, just makes it seem like you have a problem ;)

Not if I haven't stopped from the night before ;)

Despite all the Manning ball washing, Pats are the biggest draw in the AFC, probably with the exception being the Steelers....maybe.

Personally, I love Saturday night playoff games. Always been good luck to us. Get the feeling the Colts are coming to town to renew the rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back