PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots place safety Adrian Wilson on season ending IR

Yup.

That is a surprise to me. It seems that in-season IR would be just right for Wilson. He may be done. There is no cost in keeping him and checking him out next preseason.

Reiss has said it's not in-season IR, it's the usual season-ending IR.

To be in-season, the player has to survive initial cut-down and it needs to be announced as such. Theoretically it could have happened here since including Wilson would still keep them under 53, but they chose not to do so.

sounds to me like he did not make the team so out of respect they IR him and he will retire just like they did with tory holt a few years ago

Not that AW had anything left but our secondary is still the same as last year which is not good. Lot of people were sweating on the offense but our pass defense hasnt improved on paper much which wont help us.

There is no reason to worry about the offense, although I'll feel a bit better when we sign a backup TE.

The defense has no depth at DE, DT, and little in the secondary.

Not that AW had anything left but our secondary is still the same as last year which is not good. Lot of people were sweating on the offense but our pass defense hasnt improved on paper much which wont help us.

I disagree. I think we'll see more of Ebner, and Harmon flashed good stuff in PS.

He looked like ass anyways. Mind boggling that this secondary is still so dubious. All it takes is for Talib to hurt his leg again and suddenly the dominoes all fall: McCourty goes back to corner, the two morons are at safety, and anything goes.

And don't forget Talib has yet to show he has staying power wrt injuries...hope he is healthy the whole season!

God I wish we had Revis, imagine our secondary.....

If we are counting on Ebner for his play as a safety, we are in more trouble than even DI thinks that we are.

I disagree. I think we'll see more of Ebner, and Harmon flashed good stuff in PS.

And don't forget Talib has yet to show he has staying power wrt injuries...hope he is healthy the whole season!

God I wish we had Revis, imagine our secondary.....

Talib will leave next year..so we will need a new #1 Cb some next year

I don't buy it. As mentioned above I believe he was a cut candidate and out of respect they will let him retire on the IR....

Dang it - this is killing me.

I thought Wilson and Ballard might be big contributors this year. Hoped for Dowling, too. Pats needed that settling veteran presence in the DB. Watching the other night, Wilson covered the backs well out of the backfield and had a couple of nice blitzes, but he seemed to be shying from serious contact.

Ah well.

I was concerned about depth before the cuts/IRs.

Now DL is paper-thin (Garay looks like a nice big bodied backup), and the drop off in DB is huge after McCourty, Talib and Dennard.

Now DL is paper-thin (Garay looks like a nice big bodied backup), and the drop off in DB is huge after McCourty, Talib and Dennard.

Anyone gets hurt in the CB field or DB...our D will take a major step back and be crap again. Lets hope no injuries but they will happen...

I bought into the whole "new Rodney" hype so I find this disappointing...

I thought it came out that Houston was the only place he wanted to go to

No. He was ballwashing BB...for the right price, he wanted to come here. Texans paid moar though.

I bought into the whole "new Rodney" hype so I find this disappointing...
I think in some ways we all fell into the feeling of nostalgia. The truth is that with these passing rules even Rodney wouldn't thrive in this modern NFL. You need guys that can cover and hit, not just hit.

I think in some ways we all fell into the feeling of nostalgia. The truth is that with these passing rules even Rodney wouldn't thrive in this modern NFL. You need guys that can cover and hit, not just hit.

True but Rodney and co bought more to the team just play. A strong leadership and attitude. Our current defensive leaders are for the lack of a better description 'nice guys' but dont bring it like our 03/04 defense in terms of leadership and attitude.Just my opinion.

Not completely the same. The #4 CB is now Ryan instead of Cole. I'd much prefer to have Ryan covering Anquan Boldin in the Super Bowl.

Not completely the same. The #4 CB is now Ryan instead of Cole. I'd much prefer to have Ryan covering Anquan Boldin in the Super Bowl.

if the pats make it to the SB and they are not playing the giants I don't care who is cover who I know they will win or at lest have a really good shot at winning

Man, Kyle Arrington has to be pissed after giving up his number.

The Patriots typically target one or two significant players each offseason. Last year it was Fanene and this year Wilson. There were lots of good players on the market at the time of both signings. Very disappointing. With the exception of the one year leases on Andre Carter and Mark Anderson, the Patriots have come up short the FA market for quite awhile now.

Man, Kyle Arrington has to be pissed after giving up his number.
On the other hand, Arrington can have both the diapers and his number back, in theory.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back