PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Passing camp starts tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florio mentioned it this AM. The rule which is somewhat archaic is that rookies can only attend one mini camp before their school finishes exams. Apparently the rookies most impacted are those from schools like OSU who do not wrap up exams until June. But it's a player by player thing and apparently all of our selections must be from schools that wrapped up exams by mid May (as do most schools). It's a silly rule since most of them haven't seen a campus since December as they prepped for the NFL Draft.
Thanks...it did seem a bit confusing..but it makes sense..didn't realize it's a player by player situation...That's great that the rooks are in..

With Donte gone ...Jackson or Washington ... which gets a bigger role in the
passing game this year?

I have always liked Washington's abilities. He's good in the kicking game, but is also a solid receiver.

I don't know what to make of Chad Jackson as his body of work is too small.

What about the mystery UDFA WRs and RBs who were in rookie camp on a tryout basis? I wonder if any of them will be here this week. Washington, Jackson and Aiken could use all the reps they can get, and Slater will probably get some work at WR, as well. OTOH, BenJarvus Green-Ellis (or BJGE) is the only HB/FB on the TC roster who wasn't with the team last season. Two more bodies, at least, should be here now, the sooner the better.

FWIW, the best available FA QBs appear to be Byron Leftwich, Kelly Holcomb and Tim Hasselbeck. If Leftwich is healthy, he might be worth bringing to Foxborough for at least an interview.

According to Great Blue North, neither UDFA RBs Dantrell Savage or Umass' Matt Lawrence have signed with any team yet. If that's true, and if they are healthy, then the FO should call their agents immediately.

http://www.gbnreport.com/UFAsxposition

Of course if Kevin Jones and Lorenzo Neal were to be signed, then the need for more RBs by the start of TC would be mitigated considerably.

It would appear he does not.

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List
during the entire period of his employment.
(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

How does being an emergency QB effect an accrued season??? do you just have to be on the 53 man roster or do yuo actually have to be active for a % of games???

What about the mystery UDFA WRs and RBs who were in rookie camp on a tryout basis? I wonder if any of them will be here this week. Washington, Jackson and Aiken could use all the reps they can get, and Slater will probably get some work at WR, as well. OTOH, BenJarvus Green-Ellis (or BJGE) is the only HB/FB on the TC roster who wasn't with the team last season. Two more bodies, at least, should be here now, the sooner the better.

FWIW, the best available FA QBs appear to be Byron Leftwich, Kelly Holcomb and Tim Hasselbeck. If Leftwich is healthy, he might be worth bringing to Foxborough for at least an interview.

Maybe you haven't seen Leftwich as much as I have, but if you did, you wouldn't want him to be the back-up in the event that "The Unspeakable" happens. Just a horrible QB all around. The guy couldn't even crack the starting line-up with the Falcons last year and was replaced by Chris Redman. Sorry, but I'd rather have O'Connell backing up Brady.

The obligatory "CJ break out game" coming to a board near you in ...5....4...3...2...1...

The obligatory "CJ break out game" coming to a board near you in ...5....4...3...2...1...
I am unashamedly optimistic about Chad. He flashed fairly well as a rookie and was coming off a torn ACL last year. He won't put up real big numbers, of course, with Moss, Welker, Watson there but I expect he'll play solidly when needed.

Please please please be a sign of things to come. If Jackson can come through he adds another dynamic element.
On his blog, Reiss adds :

"If there was a noticeable player from today's session it was Jackson, who is entering a make-or-break year. The third-year wide receiver made a nice catch over the middle and his route running and focus appeared sharper than in the past."

According to Great Blue North, neither UDFA RBs Dantrell Savage or Umass' Matt Lawrence have signed with any team yet. If that's true, and if they are healthy, then the FO should call their agents immediately.

http://www.gbnreport.com/UFAsxposition

Of course if Kevin Jones and Lorenzo Neal were to be signed, then the need for more RBs by the start of TC would be mitigated considerably.

So much for Dantrell Savage. He signed with KC today. The Pats still need RBs.

Interesting that SMY said that Ventrone was being used on offense..WRs...I am thinking that they are looking for a ST player that COULD be an emergency WR, DB...sort of like Troy...

Interesting that SMY said that Ventrone was being used on offense..WRs...I am thinking that they are looking for a ST player that COULD be an emergency WR, DB...sort of like Troy...

I talked to Bubba and they want him to be versitile. Last year durring practice there were times when they had him playing WR against the first team defense and looked pretty good (playing scout team). So the coaches want him to be able to play both WR and Saftey that way he can fill in for either. They are giving him a look at WR. He told me he is pulling double duty and that he is going to do whatever it takes to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back