PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' opponents offensive preview in summary - Run first and crappy QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it will even matter if the Patriots can rush the QB, most of the teams they play are run first and have limited QBs.

Regular Season
Mon 9/14 Buffalo - Run first and Trent freaking Edwards
Sun 9/20 at NY Jets - Run first and rookie QB
Sun 9/27 Atlanta - Run first and pretty good QB
Sun 10/4 Baltimore - Run first and crappy QB
Sun 10/11 at Denver - Run first and crappy QB plus no defense
Sun 10/18 Tennessee - Run first and crappy QB
Sun 10/25 at Tampa Bay - Crappy QB
bye
Sun 11/8 Miami - Run first and pretty good QB
Sun 11/15 at Indianapolis - excellent QB
Sun 11/22 NY Jets - Run first and rookie QB
Mon 11/30 at New Orleans - excellent QB
Sun 12/6 at Miami - Run first and pretty good QB
Sun 12/13 Carolina - Run first and an Ok QB
Sun 12/20 at Buffalo - Run first and Trent freaking Edwards
Sun 12/27 Jacksonville - Run first and an Ok QB
Sun 1/3 at Houston - good QB

If the Pats can get a lead and stuff the run, the games quickly become a world of pain for most of their opponents. Should be some real battles in the trenches, can't wait!

Last edited:
Re: Patriot's opponents offensive preview in summary - Run first and crappy QBs

Interesting outlook for the schedule. In the first seven weeks of the season the best QBs we face are Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco (who isn't as crappy as you say, but has crappy WRs). This will give the new pieces in the secondary to gel together before the real test of Manning and Brees.

Hopefully the run defense will be up for the challenge.

I don't think it will even matter if the Patriots can rush the QB, most of the teams they play are run first and have limited QBs.

Regular Season
Mon 9/14 Buffalo - Run first and Trent freaking Edwards

While Edwards is not an elite QB he is pretty decent. And the combo of Evens and TO might make covering Moss and Welker at the same time seem easy. Add in a very outstanding RB. The only issue on the Bills offense is the o-line.

While Edwards is not an elite QB he is pretty decent. And the combo of Evens and TO might make covering Moss and Welker at the same time seem easy. Add in a very outstanding RB. The only issue on the Bills offense is the o-line.

Me no like your take on Bills. Think firewater make you tell heap big lies.:mad:

interesting post.

dammmmn im anxious for the season

While Edwards is not an elite QB he is pretty decent. And the combo of Evens and TO might make covering Moss and Welker at the same time seem easy. Add in a very outstanding RB. .

If you mean Lynch, he'll be watching the first three games but should be around for the December game. The last two seasons, he's only played in one of the team's games vs NE and his numbers haven't been great 14 carries/46 yds in 2008 and 20/74 in 2007. If you mean Jackson, he had a monster game versus the Pats in the near hurricane last year, 27 carries for 136 yds.

Last edited:

Bills and Broncos each have a better starting QB than you give them credit for.

While Edwards is not an elite QB he is pretty decent. And the combo of Evens and TO might make covering Moss and Welker at the same time seem easy.

Only in an alternate universe

I agree... I don't want to go back to small CB debating, but truth is that any NFL starting QB is go enough allow T.O. to make game-changing plays. With Evans there, they COULD be scary.

Bills and Broncos each have a better starting QB than you give them credit for.

Also agree with space... Orton reminds me a little too much of Pennington - a guy who seems so beatable, but could be solid and precise enough to squeak some out.

Flacco is a crappy QB?

We are pretty good against the run so as long as none of these passing games (outside of New Orleans) heat up we can do some damage on the scoreboard...

TO and Lee Evans harder to cover than Moss and Welker? Please!

I was at the Bills training camp today (doing some pre-preseason scouting, naturally), and McGee completely smothered him, except for one time he slipped. T.O. did have a couple catches, but very few of them were deep, and they were usually only against the second or third corner. Even then, he barely created any separation. At this point in his career, he's a possession receiver, not a deep threat. Seriously, he wasn't that impressive; I think at least half our corners are capable of shutting him down. Evans, on the other hand, was quick and precise, and really worries me. He's vastly underrated.

As far as the Bills passing game is concerned, I'm in a wait and see mode; with Owens, Evans, Reed and Parrish there is the possibility of a big turnaround for their offense.

Regarding the original poster's point about the Pats opponent's offenses, I'll be curious to see if there is a shift in the Pats' philosophy on defense. Now I'm not talking about completely getting away from 'we're here to prevent points, not yards (aka: bend not break.) What I am thinking is that there may be a few more plays where the coaching staff is confident enough in the defensive backs that somebody will blitz in an attempt to force the opposing QB to make a bad decision. I'm also thinking that there will be times when they stack the line, maybe a run blitz, or dare the QB to throw - again counting on the corners to come through if needed. For example, who are the Ravens or Jets or Jaguars going to throw the ball to?

Owens is the most overrated receiver in the league. He rarely draws double teams, because teams don't feel it is worth it. He puts up big numbers but almost always leads the league in drops, only actually catching about 80% of the passes that hit him in the hands. There's a reason why the Pats ignored him in the Super Bowl, covering him with Troy Brown and Hank Poteat: they weren't afraid of him.

Marshawn Lynch is, in no way, "very outstanding." He's good, but if he's very outstanding, I'd like to hear the superlatives that are ascribed to someone like Adrian Peterson. Also, that swiss cheese offensive line won't be blowing open any large holes for this very outstanding back.

Most importantly, Edwards being "pretty decent" is another way of saying he's an average to fringe average starter. Look around the league, there are about 20 QBs that a team is better off with. And in Owens career, he has ruined all 3 teams he's been with, teams that were quarterbacked by Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, and Tony Romo, all significantly better than Edwards. Owens numbers and production have been slipping, he's going to play in a windy, cold city not conducive to the deep ball with an unproven quarterback. He has a history of not respecting his quarterback or coaches, and his quarterback and coach are each likely in the bottom 3rd of the league.

All that leads me to this: he is going to swallow the Bills whole. There is absolutely nothing that shows that he is going to do anything different that what he's done in the past, and he's playing with the worst quarterback and the worst coach not named Wade that he has in his career. Does anyone think he wanted to play there? He cares about making money and getting recognition. He'll get both of them there in Buffalo. And he will make the team into a laughingstock in the process. Can't wait!

Flacco is a crappy QB?

Strong arm = yes
Proven = No
Winning offensive system = No

I expect the Ravens to fall off the map this year.

I don't follow the Bills but I have seen Edwards play a few times. Maybe it is the state of overall NFL QBs that bring him up to league average ( a sorry state for the NFL indeed).

The Bills have more weapons but the O line is going to be a big issue. I don't see Edwards lasting the whole year.

Don't forget, last year's defense made even the worst QBs look like superstars. Check out the Pats' defensive passer rating. It was over 100!

I don't care what anyone says, rushing the passer is key. Even in "run first" offenses, 2/3 of their total yardage comes from the pass (unless the passing game is Raider-like anemic).

Remember the 2004 run-first Patriots? They had 3558 passing yards and 2143 rushing yards (37% rush yds, 63% pass yds).

Pats' stats Source: 2004 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back