PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OL study at Pro Football Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots O-Line Study Pro Football Focus

Nice read. Kind makes all those who think the Pats O-line is "horrible" look silly.

Colts fans say the same things about their Offensive Line.

Which brings up the question, do these stats really indicate the best OL or do forum fans find a problem with everything?

Last edited:

There's now way the Pats Oline is that good. I still remember the Saints, Dolphins, and Ravens getting heavy pressure on Brady off of 3 man rushes. One of the main reasons they lost all 3 games.

There's now way the Pats Oline is that good. I still remember the Saints, Dolphins, and Ravens getting heavy pressure on Brady off of 3 man rushes. One of the main reasons they lost all 3 games.

Its Football.

Its Football.

No O-Line can hold all-day and our guys "open guys" were just not getting open.

first of all, I'd remind you that we're comparing them with the rest of the nfl and not with perfection.
I could probably find fault with any player or group of players in the league if I wanted to.

secondly, while I somewhat agree with your point, the o-line was in a bit of rotation during the year, and I don't remember who played what games.

I'd also like to point out that they calculate average # of blockers per play, and only 5 teams in the league averaged fewer blockers per play (one of those being the outlier, arizona) than the pats, which is a great credit to the line, itself, but let's all remember this isn't just reflective of the o-line, but of the entire offense --- qb, coaching, wr, etc.

We left in extra blockers LESS than most. This should be a stickie!

ProFootballFocus.com - Articles

Great study including attempts, sacks and pressures. Patriots O-line ranked #2 in NFL just a "hair" below Colts.

The #s may tell one tale, but my eyes tell another, which is: Having poss. the least-mobile QB in the league obviously doesn't help, but this OL (esp. Koppen & OxyKaczur) would have difficulty keeping Mike Vick, Fran Tarkenton or Steve Young clean.

Last edited:
Tom Brady was ranked mid-table (No. 14) in personal responsibility for pressure, a lot lower than you would expect from a player of his calibre.

Most interesting part of the article for me. Explains a whole lot for as to why he seemed to be just a shade off last year.

and there is no way the colts offensive line is ranked 1. THey are too small and can't run block very well.

Brady gets rid of the ball so quick that it covers up for poor O line play. My eyes saw Brady take more big hits than ever this past year. I doubt he will make it through another without better blocking up front. They also had trouble converting 3rd and short with the running game, no push whatsoever. Can't say I agree with this stat.

again, these are largely team stats, so I don't want to get hung up on the OL, but I thought it'd be interesting to compare superbowl champion NO to NE.

pass plays -- nearly identical -- 701 (NO) - 704 (NE)
QB hits given up -- nearly identical
sacks given up -- nearly identical
avg blockers/play --- nearly identical
alphabetical ranking -- nearly identical

about the only significant difference is that it looks like NO gave up a couple more pressures per game on average, or one per 20 pass plays.
that's not bad.

my next project will be to compare SOS based on similar stats, if I can maintain interest.

We left in extra blockers LESS than most. This should be a stickie!

Which makes the lack of use of the TE's as receivers even more remarkable. I would have assumed they stayed in much more.

Last edited:
this site is good for seeing some stats but the way they have players ranked is BS they have matt light ranked as the 3rd best T in the NFL in 2008 when he give up 9 sacks but have him ranked #33 this year will giveing up only 2 sacks.

Brady gets rid of the ball so quick that it covers up for poor O line play. My eyes saw Brady take more big hits than ever this past year. I doubt he will make it through another without better blocking up front. They also had trouble converting 3rd and short with the running game, no push whatsoever. Can't say I agree with this stat.

That's what he used to do, but last season he was not. Part of it was not having legit receivers other than Moss and Welker, part of it was his recovery and getting back into the swing of things.

You can only block for so long.

ok, NO and NE graded out almost identically, while NO gave up a couple more pressures per game.

so, I looked at the schedules using the totals for defensive players on each team as listed by PFF, and ignored 6 common opponents --- this left 10 games.
I added up the sacks, hits, and pressures, and divided by ten.

NE opponents average -- 36 sacks / 55 hits / 135 pressures
NO opponents average -- 36 sacks / 58 hits / 133 pressures

nearly identical.

bottom line is NO just gave up a couple more pressures per game.

just wanted to edit in another quick stat ---
if you add up the stats that PFF finds directly attributable to each player, sacks and hits are roughly identical between the 2 teams, while NE's OL gave up about three quarters the pressures that NO's did, and this is while getting contributions from 3 bench players totaling over 1200 snaps, while NO's line remained intact nearly all year with a sub getting 371 snaps.

Last edited:
I've always liked our Oline, but I think the personell is best fit to counter 4-3 defenses (see: colts in the earlier part of the decade). I think Koppen has problems with some of the bigger 3-4 NTS. Kazcur can be a liability sometimes, but other than that no real qualms in my book.

Which brings up the question, do these stats really indicate the best OL or do forum fans find a problem with everything?

:yeahthat:

The difference between NO, and the Pats, was NO made fewer mistakes. We had the Broncos game in hand, and started making boneheaded decisions. I don't even need to mention the the dumb call against the Colts. I completely agreed with the 4th down decision, but not the call. There's plenty of other examples. Many posters are still focused on the brutal play in the last game. They remember seeing Suggs kill Brady, and therefore they think that Light mustve sucked all year. That wasnt the case. All the talk about Vollmer is comical too. He looks like he'll be a great player, but he wasnt the dominate LT people think they saw last season. Neal is very good, but cant stay healthy, and when he's out, it causes major issues with the interior of the line. Kazcur also doesnt suck as much as people think.

As another poster pointed out, there were injuries, and the o-line did have some trouble at times, but not nearly as bad as people think. Also, Brady was NOT the Brady everyone is used to. I know i know, Brady is a god, and the o-line is responsible for all that is bad. Keep thinking that all you want, but Brady (and BB) made some poor decisions last year. Predictable playcalling wont help in these matters either.

Being that i'm a homer (atleast thats what im told) I will mention that i believe these issues will be sorted out at TC. That, and an improved defense will put the team where they always are....in the playoffs....after that, its anyones guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes