PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OL- Racial Makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I realize this may be a delicate topic,so I ask it with caution and with no malice intended. Would it be safe to say that BB/Pioli prefer white offensive lineman? Of the 12 OL on the roster,11 are white. The five starters plus at least the first 3 off the bench,( I'm not sure where Yates falls on the depth chart.) Can this possibly be a coincidence? I don't know, but I guess it happens no where else in the NFL. I was shocked to see the #'s. I expect to get flamed, but what other explanation can there be? Hoping for some serious feedback.

They prefer smaller, more athletic linemen. Any racial trend is purely coincidence.

lets not get into this
mod, should prob remove this
cuz all it will cause is racial arguments and we dont want that

we had Gorin but he got traded. we just play the better guy..

I think their preference is the best players they can find - at any position.

lets not get into this

The original poster isn't saying white linemen are better than black linemen, or vice versa.

I realize this may be a delicate topic,so I ask it with caution and with no malice intended. Would it be safe to say that BB/Pioli prefer white offensive lineman? Of the 12 OL on the roster,11 are white. The five starters plus at least the first 3 off the bench,( I'm not sure where Yates falls on the depth chart.) Can this possibly be a coincidence? I don't know, but I guess it happens no where else in the NFL. I was shocked to see the #'s. I expect to get flamed, but what other explanation can there be? Hoping for some serious feedback.

I'm sure others can bring some additional insight into this discussion, but it seems to me that there's a good amount of racial parity in the NFL these days, especially at a position like OL, which is really a skill position involving technique and brawn - rather than something that requires pure athletic talent like RB.

A lot of it is luck no doubt - the Pats may have drafted guys like Koppen, Light, Kazcur etc.. but that doesn't mean they are going to be good starters.

So overall I'd say race plays no part in it whatsoever. If the OL sucked and a bunch of white guys retained their starter positions, then someone might be able to make some assertion - but that's clearly not the case here.

lets not get into this

Hey, what's wrong with a little lively racial arguing? Perhaps there is a reason why whites are more prolific among offensive linemen, just like blacks dominate at cornerback. There you go. Let the arguing begin!

Last edited:
The original poster isn't saying white linemen are better than black linemen, or vice versa.

i know
but the discussion is sure to bring along a lot of ignorant posts

Hey, what's wrong with a little lively racial arguing? Perhaps there is a reason why whites are typically more suited for offensive line play, just like blacks dominate at cornerback. There you go. Let the arguing begin!

How many black kickers do you see?

I think the Rooney Rules "stipulate, you must interview a black kicker or punter before signing a white one":p

I miss Roby from the Dolphins

Not any in the league right now. Or punters. But Reggie Roby was black and he punted in the league a long, long time.

This is a really awful thread. When are we all going to stop focusing on people's race and remember that we're all just people?

the same day that people stop talking about black coaches in the superbowl. it was freaking ridiculous to keep talking about the two black coaches this year - it wasn't a big deal (at least i hope).

let's appreciate people for their accomplishments and stop bringing race into it.

Since this thread hasn't been locked yet, I'll go Jimmy the Greek on ya.

Many white Europeans are built more like Clydesdales than greyhounds and have thick, stumpy thighs and calfs.

OL is very well represented in the NFL by the paler ethnic groups.

The OP makes a good point, which brings up this.....do BB and Pioli prefer white QB's?...has anyone noticed that the starting QB for several years has been white?

Coincidence? I think not.

I wont even get into the fact that BB and Pioli have only worked for white owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots