PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots officially sign Crumpler

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure the true reason why we do not use TEs in our offense,... only to see the guy used once or twice a game at most, i have had enough of that for the past few years.

You do realize that tight ends do a lot more than catch passes right? Watson was playing like 90% of the snaps.

Does Matt Light not get used at all?

Synovia- you seem to be not in favor of the Crumpler signing. How come? Alge is a good TE.

Last edited:
Synovia- you seem to be not in favor of the Crumpler signing. How come. Alge is a good TE.

Alge was a good TE.

Then he put on 50 lbs. He was a terrible TE last year. If he loses the weight, and gains the speed back, he'll be a weapon. If he doesn't regain the speed, and 33 year old players generally don't, hes pretty much useless.

Alge was a good TE.

Then he put on 50 lbs. He was a terrible TE last year. If he loses the weight, and gains the speed back, he'll be a weapon. If he doesn't regain the speed, and 33 year old players generally don't, hes pretty much useless.

Hes fine at pass blocking and still very good at run blocking. He'll catch 20-30 balls from TB in this offense which will put him ahead of what they got from Watson in all phases. Worst case, he'll give you what Watson did (perhaps better in the blocking game) at 1/2 the cost.

Pats aren't done at TE. They'll get a kid in the draft to apprentice under Crumpler.

Alge was a good TE.

He's a TE not a WR sure burst speed off the line is nice for quick routes but I don't think he was signed to be a receiver. Of course being in shape is important if he wants to make this team and I think we all now he can catch but that isn't going to be his first responsibility.

He'll catch 20-30 balls from TB in this offense which will put him ahead of what they got from Watson in all phases. Worst case, he'll give you what Watson did (perhaps better in the blocking game) at 1/2 the cost.

Last 3 years:

Ben Watson:
42G, 87 Receptions, 1002 yards, 13 TD

Alge Crumpler:
45G, 93 Receptions, 923 yds, 7 TDs

If you go to only the last 2 years, Watson has an even bigger advantage. Worst case scenario isn't he gives you what Watson did. Likely scenario is he gives you what Watson did.

Last 3 years:

Ben Watson:

Alge Crumpler:

If you go to only the last 2 years, Watson has an even bigger advantage. Worst case scenario isn't he gives you what Watson did. Likely scenario is he gives you what Watson did.

No question Watson has more in the tank.

Crumpler is a far superior run blocker than Watson. Pass blocking too. Obviously the Pats lose the middle of the field threat.

Keep in mind Tenn has game-managers for QBs- not near the quality of TB. I'd be interesting to see how they use AC.

BTW receptions are the same for both players last 2 years.

Hes fine at pass blocking and still very good at run blocking. He'll catch 20-30 balls from TB in this offense which will put him ahead of what they got from Watson in all phases. Worst case, he'll give you what Watson did (perhaps better in the blocking game) at 1/2 the cost.

Don't understand where this concept of "pass blocking" comes from. According to ProFootballFocus, Crumpler only pass blocked 73 times last year and went out 211. So that means he pass blocked 1 out of 4 pass plays. And in 2008, he only blocked 1 out of every 10 passing plays. As with any TE, pass blocking is the least important attribute.

I think Crumpler essentially replaces Baker's role here and he'll probably do a better job. But he certainly won't be running the same deep patterns Watson used to.

Don't understand where this concept of "pass blocking" comes from. According to ProFootballFocus, Crumpler only pass blocked 73 times last year and went out 211. So that means he pass blocked 1 out of 4 pass plays. And in 2008, he only blocked 1 out of every 10 passing plays. .

Good points on the play breakout.

As it relates to my assessment of Crumpler as a decent blocker in the passing game, I look at TN has allowing only 27 sacks in two years (mostly b/c they run more than pass). My assumption is that AC had a hand in that. Looks like Scafie did moreso.

As with any TE, pass blocking is the least important attribute. .

Not in the Pats offense. They better be able to pass block and pick up the blitz or help w/ the outside rush or they will sit on the bench.

I think Crumpler essentially replaces Baker's role here and he'll probably do a better job. But he certainly won't be running the same deep patterns Watson used to.

No question that he will not run the same routes at Watson. I see BB spending a decent pick on a TE.

Last 3 years:

Ben Watson:

Alge Crumpler:

Skewed stat.

2009 - titans passing game sucked, their running game had a 2000yd rusher
2008 - titans 2 rb's rush for 2000yd. bottom 5 in passing TD's,YD's&ATT
2007 - falcons. michael vick goes to jail. team is a mess. 4-12.

if you are tennessee in 2008 or 2009 why are you gonna pass the ball in the red zone if you can run like that?

You do realize that tight ends do a lot more than catch passes right? Watson was playing like 90% of the snaps.

have you ever heard of the following names:

Dallas Clark, Health Miller, Antonio Gates, Anthoney Gonzalvez, J. Shockey, Jason Witten, etc???

Those guys block and catch. Sure there are some that do more catching and some that do more blocking. We had both a blocking TE Graham, and a receiving TE in Watson. If Watson is not getting the receptions for what ever reason - not being ultilized properly, being a decoy, or is not trusted by the QB, then I for want do NOT want to waste a great deal of the team's assests, that is $ or draft picks, on a player that is not being used. I loved Watson did not want to see him go, but if he is too much coin for the purpose of his use then we neet to jettison the man and just as importantly do NOT replace him with another that will equally be a burden on the team, that is my point

So the issue is not what he does or does do, it more an issue of value added or value spent on a given aspect of your overall team. if its too much for the reward then you can't have the player.

Skewed stat.

2009 - titans passing game sucked, their running game had a 2000yd rusher
2008 - titans 2 rb's rush for 2000yd. bottom 5 in passing TD's,YD's&ATT
2007 - falcons. michael vick goes to jail. team is a mess. 4-12.

if you are tennessee in 2008 or 2009 why are you gonna pass the ball in the red zone if you can run like that?

And you don't think Crumpler had anything to do with that?

The Patriots had a better running game (and Cassel throwing) than the Titans in 2008. (More attempts, more yards per attempt), and a significantly better running game than the Falcons in 07, so that kind of works against Crumpler, doesn't it?

I bolded the irony here. As you complain about Crumpler not being the receiving threat that he used to, you should remember that he's an excellent blocking TE and helped block for a 2,000 yard rusher last season.

And you don't think Crumpler had anything to do with that?

The Patriots had a better running game (and Cassel throwing) than the Titans in 2008. (More attempts, more yards per attempt), and a significantly better running game than the Falcons in 07, so that kind of works against Crumpler, doesn't it?

Different offenses. I'd bet teams were in the nickel and dime a heckuva lot more vs the Pats than the Titans and they still had tremendous ground games.

In 2007 Crumpler caught 42 balls from Joey Harington and Chris Redmond.

In 2007 Watson caught 36 balls from TB in the greatest single season offense ever.

By your logic, Crumpler had a better 2007 b/c he did better than Watson in a far less effective offense.

Lets stop this AC vs BW comparison. Pats didn't want to pay Watson b/c they didn't think his salary demands matched his projected production in this offense. Plain and simple. Crumpler gives them a solid veteran presence, better run blocking and good hands at 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
Good points on the play breakout.

As it relates to my assessment of Crumpler as a decent blocker in the passing game, I look at TN has allowing only 27 sacks in two years (mostly b/c they run more than pass). My assumption is that AC had a hand in that. Looks like Scafie did moreso.

in the Pats offense. They better be able to pass block and pick up the blitz or help w/ the outside rush or they will sit on the bench.

Not targeted at you per se. Just seen some posts that he's such a great pass blocker and I think they're misled. With regard to Pats, here is a breakdown of what their TEs have done in over the past 3 years, from the same site. It's obvious that NE uses their TEs more for pass blocking, but still much less so than as receivers. So my guess would be that Crumpler's numbers would be similar to Baker's this year:

2009:
Pass Blocking: 173
Routes: 563
Titans: 98/614
Summary - Mathews blocked 9 times, went out 5 times. Watson ratio was like 8-1. Baker was 205 as a receiver, 121 pass blocking.

2008:
Pass Blocking: 114
Routes: 562
Titans: 52/638
Summary - less blocking that 2009. Possible because they didn't have a blocking TE. Watson's ratio of receiving to pass blocking was quite low, below 5-1.

2007:
Pass Blocking: 200
Routes: 685
Titans: 81/453
Summary - roughly same ratio as 2009. Brady and Watson both had about 5-1 ratio. Spach and Rivers mostly blocked, but played rather sparingly.

See here:

I like this move alot! :rocker:

Respects,

We're saved! Huzzah!
'Flash' Crumpler ooo-aaah! He'll save everyone of us!
The Pats still need 1 or 2 more tight ends.
Probably another vet plus 1 or 2 rookies to battle it out in training camp.

Not targeted at you per se. Just seen some posts that he's such a great pass blocker and I think they're misled. With regard to Pats, here is a breakdown of what their TEs have done in over the past 3 years, from the same site. It's obvious that NE uses their TEs more for pass blocking, but still much less so than as receivers. So my guess would be that Crumpler's numbers would be similar to Baker's this year:

2009:
Pass Blocking: 173
Routes: 563
Titans: 98/614
Summary - Mathews blocked 9 times, went out 5 times. Watson ratio was like 8-1. Baker was 205 as a receiver, 121 pass blocking.

2008:
Pass Blocking: 114
Routes: 562
Titans: 52/638
Summary - less blocking that 2009. Possible because they didn't have a blocking TE. Watson's ratio of receiving to pass blocking was quite low, below 5-1.

2007:
Pass Blocking: 200
Routes: 685
Titans: 81/453
Summary - roughly same ratio as 2009. Brady and Watson both had about 5-1 ratio. Spach and Rivers mostly blocked, but played rather sparingly.

Nice work, Bucky. I agree with your analysis.

Last edited:
I love this signing. A veteran Tight End that is a positive locker room presence and a great blocker at worse.

Last edited:
Alge was a good TE.

Not only did he weigh 310 at the start of TC last year, but during his last month as a Falcon (Dec. 2007), he was spotted wearing "MV" on his eye-blacks. Not exactly a great judge of character, either. Still, he's the best UFA TE avail., which speaks more to the bone-dry talent pool at that position than it does to his ability to upgrade that position here.

I also have to ass-ume that Crumpler was given a physical during his visit to Foxborough, incl. a Q & A concerning his committment to conditioning. So let's hope that he turns out better than Kyle Brady & Chris Baker. Let's also hope that Bill doesn't use one of our precious 2nd-rounders on another underutilized TE. Instead, he should use one of his 7 6th- & 7th-rounders on a blocking TE of the future, then sign UNH's Scott Sicko as a UDFA.

I like this signing. Could end up being the new Christian Fauria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes