Patriots Officially Re-Sign Warren, Underwood Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Officially Re-Sign Warren, Underwood Released
By: Derek Havens

The New England Patriots have re-signed veteran defensive lineman Gerard Warren, the team announced on Thursday. In addition, the Patriots have released wide receiver Tiquan Underwood according to his agent....

GRRRR! We don't need Warren! I'd much rather have a younger guy.

GRRRR! We don't need Warren! I'd much rather have a younger guy.

Who exactly is available? A guy like Brace, who has shown absolutely squat in 3 years?

Maybe they pick up someone younger in roster cutdowns, but it's just as likely no one becomes available who's a better fit than Warren.There's a lot to be said for roster stability with veteran guys that BB doesn't have to coach up. Conditioning and age seem less of an issue than in the past, as the Pats seem to be wanting to rotate a lot D-Linemen in and out more. It's not like Warren would be asked to play a huge number of snaps in any game.

Warren might not make the roster, but it's almost a no-brainer to bring him back for a look. He's not flashy but still pretty solid IMO--just a smart veteran to mix into this young defense.

Who exactly is available? A guy like Brace, who has shown absolutely squat in 3 years?

Maybe they pick up someone younger in roster cutdowns, but it's just as likely no one becomes available who's a better fit than Warren.There's a lot to be said for roster stability with veteran guys that BB doesn't have to coach up. Conditioning and age seem less of an issue than in the past, as the Pats seem to be wanting to rotate a lot D-Linemen in and out more. It's not like Warren would be asked to play a huge number of snaps in any game.

Warren might not make the roster, but it's almost a no-brainer to bring him back for a look. He's not flashy but still pretty solid IMO--just a smart veteran to mix into this young defense.

Smart vetreran D-guys got this playoff and SB run going since 2001. If BB doesn't think it's time to close the door than I tend to trust his instincts. Sorry Bravo, but who exactly is that "younger guy" we need to bring in?

Words of wisdom from an old ****.

Warren is an excellent pick up at this point as are Gaffney, Stallworth and Addai. Veteran depth is so important at this point in the pre-season. Belichick can keep or discard these guys depending on what he sees from the new free agents and the rookies.

There's no reason to think that Warren is taking a position away from anybody at this point. They'll enter camp with 90 guys like every other team and cut 37 of them, just like every other team.

The other thing about the Pats is that they have no problem bringing guys along in training camp and calling them up midway through the season if injuries require a plug in player. There is nothing better than a veteran that knows the system. Sadly, Junior Seau was precisely one these guys whose presence at the end of his career had a positive effect on the team.

Warren provides veteran depth at DL. A position of need. I didn't see much chance for Underwood to beat out any of Welker, Lloyd, Stallworth, Branch, Ochocinco, Gaffney, Edelman, Gonzalez, and Ebert anyways. And at least two-three players from this group will need to be cut before the season starts.

Last edited:
There's no reason to think that Warren is taking a position away from anybody at this point.

I think this entire post was very good, and I agree with a lot of what you say.

I'm also in agreement on some level with your thoughts of Warren, the problem is---"who" would that guy be who he'd be taking a position away from at this point?

The Defensive line seems to be the weakest area on that side of the ball right now, and since it wasn't addressed in the draft (no knocks, b/c you can't take care of everything through one draft) we still have some holes to fill depth wise.

We may be able to sign a roster cut or two as the summer moves on towards the middle-end of August, especially due to the increased rosters. However, the jury would still be out on whether or not that specific player would know the system as well, + be as effective as Warren has been at times in a rotational role.

At this point in time, I am happy with the signing and would be in agreement with those who value his vet presence and ability to provide run support, knowledge of the system, good work ethic, and a healthy body. In my opinion, Warren is a bit old, but he has pretty much done everything asked of him and provides good rotational value and leadership.

If another player comes along, then as you said--all the better. Until that happens, Warren very well may end up making the 53 man roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back