PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Offense: Amazingly Efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find a source for it right now, but I believe the Pats are #1 in TDs per drive. At least as of a few weeks ago, they were scoring a touchdown on 30% of their drives.

It's a really great point and great job finding those stats. It really shows how its carrying this young defense. Do they have a # of possession stats anywhere? (excluding kneel-downs hopefully).

But we don't have a lot of yards. That means the other defenses stop us on a regular basis, right?:confused:

But we don't have a lot of yards. That means the other defenses stop us on a regular basis, right?:confused:

It could mean we get a lot of turnovers and only have to go a short distance to score. I am not a stats person, but I always get annoyed when they show another QB has a lot more yards than Brady, and then wonder how the Pats are winning the game. Meanwhile, we've gotten a turnover in enemy territory and only had to drive 20 yards for a score. Same thing with time of possession stats. If you don't have to go far to score, it skews these stats.

Belichick doesn't agree:

Belichick On The Most Important Stats Other Than Winning | GMEN HQ | A New York Giants Blog

so let's play along with the coach on this one. ;)

Amazing you can paste something and not understand it.

Points is number two, because that correlates to winning.

Yes we know you need to score one more point than the other guy. Because that's how you win. Are points or stats important in and of themselves? Reread quote please.

Are yards important? If they help you get more, or allow less points, contributing to wins? Yes.

Last edited:
Bill Belichick explains which stats he likes

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 17, 2010, 10:41 AM EST

A year ago, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked to explain the decline in statistical production from Randy Moss, and he bristled at the question.

“Stats are for losers,” Belichick said then. “The final score is for winners.”

Bill Belichick explains which stats he likes | ProFootballTalk

It could mean we get a lot of turnovers and only have to go a short distance to score. I am not a stats person, but I always get annoyed when they show another QB has a lot more yards than Brady, and then wonder how the Pats are winning the game. Meanwhile, we've gotten a turnover in enemy territory and only had to drive 20 yards for a score. Same thing with time of possession stats. If you don't have to go far to score, it skews these stats.

Those occasional turnovers, as Felgie calls them? I thought they were insignificant.

Those occasional turnovers, as Felgie calls them? I thought they were insignificant.

Felgie also said this defense couldn't stop anyone. I guess he forgot about Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Joe Flacco, among others.

Felgie also said this defense couldn't stop anyone. I guess he forgot about Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Joe Flacco, among others.

And I forgot about those easy TDs and short fields our opportunistic defense has caused. Maybe the ongoing story will be, opposing offenses can't stop our defense?

Last edited:
However, in the voters' minds, I'm guessing this is what they're asking themselves: "How can I justify giving Peyton the award again?"

LOL, exactly. Although Peyton is on a 6-4 team and just got his ass handed to him in back to back games against the Pats and Chargers with a combined 7 picks thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:

To those who try to find meaning in Felgie's opinions:

101577316v3_225x225_Front.jpg

Felgie:

head_up_your_ass.jpg

The thing is, it's relatively easy to win a game and have fewer yards of offense than the losing team. If the other team makes several good drives, but is kept from scoring, or held to field goals, then all it takes is a couple decent drives for touchdowns to win the game.

Say your opponent got the ball first, and had a drive of 70 yards but was field to a FG. That's 3points.

Your team gets the ball on the 20 and goes 80 yards for a TD. Now it's 7-3

Repeat each and it's now 14-6.

The opponent then goes another 70 yards for another FG. In 5 total possessions, he's out gained you in yardage 210 to 160, yet you lead 14-9.

That's why it's hard to consider yardage as an effective measure of an offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back