Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
from you know who..

Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:50:59 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports North Carolina State LB Oliver Hoyte impressed New England Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees during a private workout. Pees started drawing up plays and showed him the 3-4, and Hoyte knew the ins and outs without ever playing in one. Hoyte's agent, Philip Wickstrom, said, "Dean asked him, 'How do you know that?' He said, 'I study it." Hoyte added, "I just have a knack for picking up schemes. (Pees) drew a basic defense on the board and said, 'If this guy's doing this what should he be doing?' And I said, 'He's gotta being doing that.' He was really shocked." Hoyte believes he would fit the team well and Pees said the same thing.

I couldn't really find much on him,he is a Middle LB 6'3" 252 no 40 time, NFLfans predicts him to be an undrafted free agent.

There isn't too much on Hoyte. He was very productive in college. The knock on him is that his numbers were a reflection of the talent surrounding him at NC State (Super Mario, Lawson, McCargo).

I think he'd be a great pickup say, round 6.

According to Scouts, Inc. the guy is a 4th-5th round prospect. It says he's a 2 down run stuffer whose strength are size and strength, toughness, leadership, instincts in the running game and discipline. Sounds like a pefect BB/Pioli type of player.

According to Gli Brandt, at his proday" Hoyte (6-2 1/4, 241) ran his 40s in 5.01 and 5.05 seconds. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.38 and the three-cone drill in 7.14 and stood on the rest of his combine numbers.

I think it was a slow track. Still, he's obviously a little slow for the passing game, but could be a 4th down pick for the PAts.

Sounds like Ted Johnson!!!!!!!

Have seen him ranked between the 4th and 7th. PFW says he is tough, a good tackler, but a two down "Mike" LB. Needs to be taken out in passing situations, not good in coverage.

From my Shrine Game summary where Oliver played MLB...
Oliver Hoyte (NC State) was Pats’ ILB size and did a decent job, he wasn’t as instinctive as McIntosh, McGarigal and Bray, but he could be a second day pick to compete in Training Camp.
It would be interesting to see how well he could adapt his 3-4 blackboard knowledge to the field...

I heard Tom Casale and Andy Hart talking about this kid on Patriots.com. They said he was one of the most underrated players in the draft and one of the best MLB prospects they saw on tape. Sounds interesting.

Just read that piece. Sounds like an ideal ILB in the 3-4. Coverage is obv. a concern, but he sounds like he has upside to be TJ2 in the middle.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/oliverhoyte.html

NFLDraftCountdown as him as a Day 2 guy, but he sounds like the kind of guy that if the Pats want they would def. "reach" for in the 4th, with all the Kipers whining that they could have waited to get him, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back