PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots name Dean Pees as Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily, even though most of us were probably blind-sided by the Jets wanting Mangini (at least until last week), BB always has a back-up plan in the works!

Does this piss off Pepper, and if so will Mangini grab him? I hope not, despite the rumors all day about Pees, I was kind hoping to see Pepper get his shot.

So does Ryan come back to handle LBs again, or is he headed to the Jests?

Last edited:
So they really did do it right after Mangini's press conference. Funny.

PatsDeb said:
Luckily, even though most of us were probably blind-sided by the Jets wanting Mangini (at least until last week), BB always has a back-up plan in the works!

HA!! I love it, he is ALWAYS one step ahead of everyone!

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Does this piss off Pepper, and if so will Mangini grab him? I hope not, despite the rumors all day about Pees, I was kind hoping to see Pepper get his shot.

I surely hope it wouldn't piss him off. Only one of the two could get the job and Pees has a lot of years on Johnson, including college HC experience. If you're trying to gain some stability after 2 straight defections, a second rookie coordinator in a row isn't so appealing.

Bates must be holding out for a HC job or a more relaxed DC spot.

Great, and I forgot to set my VCR to tape NEST tonight. Moron.

Anyway.

I guess we'll be hiring a new LB coach and I wonder if Joel Collier will become the lone Secondary coach, he split that with Mangini last year.

patchick said:
I surely hope it wouldn't piss him off. Only one of the two could get the job and Pees has a lot of years on Johnson, including college HC experience. If you're trying to gain some stability after 2 straight defections, a second rookie coordinator in a row isn't so appealing.
Pepper's been with the Pats six years, Pees only two... that's all that makes me wonder if this would make Pepper feel passed up for the gig.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

A good question. I like Peppers, but he might not have the experience yet.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Pepper's been with the Pats six years, Pees only two... that's all that makes me wonder if this would make Pepper feel passed up for the gig.

Remember when Romeo left, the rumor was that he was going to take Pepper with him but he stayed with BB. There must have been some reason for him to stay here.....

Bill's Girl said:
Remember when Romeo left, the rumor was that he was going to take Pepper with him but he stayed with BB. There must have been some reason for him to stay here.....

Maybe he digs the Foxboro night life. :cool3:

Bill's Girl said:
HA!! I love it, he is ALWAYS one step ahead of everyone!

Last year he saw this coming that's why he brought Pees in then. Preparation - you've got to love it.

Patriots promote linebackers coach Pees to defensive job
January 17, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. --The New England Patriots named their third defensive coordinator in three years Tuesday when they promoted Dean Pees from linebackers coach after Eric Mangini was named head coach of the New York Jets.

Pees held his former position for two seasons after serving as head coach at Kent State the previous six seasons.

He took his first NFL job with the Patriots when the defensive coordinator was Romeo Crennel, who became head coach of the Cleveland Browns after last season. Mangini succeeded Crennel for one year after spending five seasons as the Patriots' defensive backs coach.

"Dean Pees has done an outstanding job coaching our linebackers," coach Bill Belichick said in a statement issued by the club. "When he joined us, Dean brought a wealth of experience into this system and has been a significant part of our success over the past two seasons."

The appointment of Pees, 56, was announced about an hour after a news conference at which the Jets formally announced the hiring of Mangini, who, at 35, is the youngest head coach at the NFL. The Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs last Saturday after winning three of the previous four Super Bowls with Crennel as defensive coordinator and Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator.

Weis also left after last season's Super Bowl victory and became head coach at Notre Dame.

Pees had been a defensive coordinator for 15 seasons during a college coaching career that began in 1979 at the University of Findlay in Ohio.

© Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

I'm sure much like the players, all the coaches know their roles and where they fall on the totem pole. I don't think Pepper will be angry and more than likely respects BB's decision.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Pees, coaching since 1979, 15 years a college DC (with time in that role under Saban at Mich ST.), 2 years a college HC, was on Saban's short list for Miami DC.
Pepper, coaching 6 years - Asst. LB, ILB, and DL coach. 13 year NFL veteran.

Pepper is a DC-in-training under THE defensive master. No reason for him to get bent over this appointment, he's still a sophomore in the BB Coaching Academy. Collier has been a coach longer, so he might be the next in line behind Pees with another year or two under his belt. Pees is a likely HC after NE goes 4-in-6 next year.

LB coach:
- BB has the pick of 10 different pro coaching staffs that just got kicked to the curb;
- Pat Hill of Fresno State is being interviewed by Oakland for their HC position, if he goes that's a college staff BB may like to raid;
- Ferentz's staff in Iowa may have a prospect, especially with all the folks drooling over their LBs;
- if you were a young (under 50) college asst. coach looking for a graduate studies program in coaching, where would you mail your resume? ;)
- Matt Patricia, Dante's Asst O-line coach, was a defensive Line coach at Amherst College for two years.
- BB has used his scouting staff as coaches, remember when Fears was ill last summer? Anybody want to bet his scouting staff isn't turning in reports on college and pro asst coaches?

:singing::singing:

BB may not name an OC until after the staff does it's year in review to assess the play and development of the offense.

Last edited:
Maybe Pepper doesn't want the job. Dante can be anything he wants but he's happy being what he is.

You could say that Bill and Dean are like two Pees in a pod. Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a long weekend, lol.

scott99 said:
You could say that Bill and Dean are like two Pees in a pod. Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a long weekend, lol.

Personally, I think BB is just trying to aPees Dean and Pepper should be steaming mad.

well

Ok, now which team is peas headed to next year after we win the superbowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back