PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots moving to 13? Mcshay Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we usually trade up for a player, not a spot. But, bb might have several players that he believes is worth #13, and can be reasonably sure that he gets one of them or a drop from one of the top 10.

spacecrime said:
BB has said often that you move up for a player, not a spot, so I doubt this will happen before the draft.

BB also said that he has discussions with a lot of teams before the draft to set up rough trade parameters. So it is highly likely that he and his former protoge Ozzie Newsome talked about trade parameters already.

Doesn't mean that either has any intention of trading, only that if they decide to trade, most of the details are already worked out.

RookBoston, you essentially make my point for me - it was precisely because Brady turned into a star, not the backup he was drafted to be, that the Pats won three of four SB's.

As for Mankins becoming a star, it's all relative. A guard is a star when the general NFL fandom can remember your name. Will Shields is the superstar of guards because most fans could tell you he plays for the Chiefs.

And no RayClay, I'm not a 'Skins fan, but they do have the right idea, they just don't execute it as well as BB.

You can't win with 52 Troy Browns, you must have the Bradys, Seymours, Brushcis, etc.

Sure, BB picks up players off the scrap heap and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't, but they are NEVER the deciding factor when it comes to winning the SB. The reason BB has so successfully plugs the holes with nobodies is because of superior coaching and because the scrubs are surrounded by playmakers, plain and simple.

I don't buy into the rumor of Tye Hill...he is a SLOT-CORNER and Belichick already has a team of slot-corners. If he's moving up to #13 then it's for another player...not Hill.

Hill is going to be a great CB in the league ... put him on a team with several large CB's and he comes up huge. Put him here and we have another CB for teams to run at.

If Belichick is moving that high then perhaps he wants Justice...the only player up there really worth the huge $$$. I had him in my 1st mock but I didn't and still don't believe Belichcik would trade draft picks to get him. Winston Justice is just as good and he will go to the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd to Houston.

Last edited:
Maybe BB wants Manny Lawson at 13...if Cleveland did not pick him at 12.

mcsully said:
Ernie Sims (Florida State) has had 5 concussions in 2 years.. Pass :)

AGREE! We don't want Mr. Concussion. Also, they should not have to trade up for the Iowa LB. Greenway has slid because of his poor combine 40 time.

I'll tell ya, from what I've seen of Jackson with my own eyes, I really like him. He's a bigger, faster, Givens, and even has better hands than Givens.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Sure, BB picks up players off the scrap heap and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't, but they are NEVER the deciding factor when it comes to winning the SB. The reason BB has so successfully plugs the holes with nobodies is because of superior coaching and because the scrubs are surrounded by playmakers, plain and simple.
It is hard to tell if you are joking or so wrong that Borges seems informed by comparison. I'll go with joking and/or sarcastic.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I've been thinking about starting a thread on this idea of value, especially later in the draft, but I'll start here by saying we need STARS, and preferrably: SUPER STARS.

If Tye Hill is going to be a superstar isn't he worth giving up a second rounder to go get (the fifth rounder is nearly immaterial in most drafts)? We win because we have, or had, Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, Dillon, Branch, Vrabel, Law and some very near stars in Givens (getting $5mil/yr validates your star status) Mankins, Watson, Warren, Colvin; not because of some alleged secret formula BB uses to conjure up the 'right' players from later rounds.
I don't know what team you're thinking of, but it's not the Patriots. Arguably BB's best trait is being able to find "diamonds in the rough" lower in the draft - not trading up to get "superstars".

Every move is made in hopes the player you draft will become a star. Prime Example - would Brady have been much use in getting to 3 SB's if he had only become a serviceable backup who perfectly fit the Pat's offense style?
Brady is a prime example of how wrong your theory is. You said the Patriots don't win because of some alleged secret formula BB uses to conjure up the 'right' players from later rounds. That's Brady to a T - a 6th round pick for a guy who is now among the top QBs in the league. Look at how many players on the defense, other than the defensive line, were cast-offs from other teams or later round picks. And look at how many of the picks BB has made in the past few years that many of us hadn't even heard of when he made the pick. He doesn't trade up for "superstars".

Brady'sButtBoy said:
RookBoston, you essentially make my point for me - it was precisely because Brady turned into a star, not the backup he was drafted to be, that the Pats won three of four SB's.
No, your claim was that BB doesn't win because he finds talent later in the draft (which is exactly the case with Brady, Samuel, Gay (undrafted), Kaczur, etc.), that he wins because he drafts "superstars". Your claim is clearly wrong.

And no RayClay, I'm not a 'Skins fan, but they do have the right idea, they just don't execute it as well as BB.
The fact that you think the Redskins have the right idea, or even the same idea as BB, illustrates how wrong you are. The Redskins pay through the nose to get superstars. BB lets superstars walk away rather than paying through the nose.

Handel said:
Maybe BB wants Manny Lawson at 13...if Cleveland did not pick him at 12.
If BB does move up, that would be my bet - moving up for Lawson. The issue though is that Lawson is somewhat of a wildcard - Cleveland could take him at 13 (although they'd be better off with Ngata or Bunkley IMO), or Lawson could fall to 21 (or further if we don't take him).

I'm with you Feep

Feep_FLA said:
I seriously doubt the Pats trade up, I'm wagering a bucket of range balls they sticking at 21 or trading down.......I prefer the trade down scenario if it improves our 2nd round position......I would love that!

Although I don't know what the hell range balls are I throw in a bucket too!

Pats stay put or trade down and then...they trade back up, then down, then up again, then into next year then back again and maybe some conditionals for the following year...all to get the absolute best kicker we never heard of from some country we never heard of with an extra 7th rounder they picked up along the way. While STACKING the roster to be locked, loaded, primed, fueled, aimed, set, poised, etc., etc. While just for the hell of it, making the Jets pay more to move up higher...:singing:

Man, wish I was an evil genius like BB, must be a BLAST!:D

Here's the deal....... To trade up its for a can't miss defensive star..... BB isn't gonna trade up for a WR. I expect them to pick at 21 or move down to 28 in a trade with Indy and move way up in round 2 or 3.... Now we are talking some serious players and depth.... 21,52, 75, 84,106,118 and 136 ..... How many teams will get a shot a 7 of the top 136? Less than 5 I'll wager without even looking it up. Sweeeeeeet! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots