PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots moving to 13? Mcshay Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBamsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
From Espn. com

There is also a rumor floating around that the Patriots (No. 21) have interest in moving up to the Ravens' spot at No. 13. One report has New England doing so for Florida receiver Chad Jackson, but that's not coach Bill Belichick's style. If the team does move up, it's more likely to be in pursuit of linebackers Kamerion Wimbley (Florida State), Ernie Sims (Florida State) or Chad Greenway (Iowa).

Sims?
I just report the rumors so don't shot the messenger.:rolleyes:

Holy crap! 3 years ago, there were rumors of the Pats moving up to #4 to get D-Rob only to see the Jets do it. Could history be repeating itself?

According to Patriot Weekly, it's to get CB Hill....And the Jets make a move up?? The smoke is getting heavy.

Last edited:
Weren't they trading up with Detroit for Sean Taylor a couple of year ago?

Oh boy, this is starting to get fun.

SamBamsFan said:
From Espn. com

There is also a rumor floating around that the Patriots (No. 21) have interest in moving up to the Ravens' spot at No. 13. One report has New England doing so for Florida receiver Chad Jackson, but that's not coach Bill Belichick's style. If the team does move up, it's more likely to be in pursuit of linebackers Kamerion Wimbley (Florida State), Ernie Sims (Florida State) or Chad Greenway (Iowa).

Sims?

Ernie Sims (Florida State) has had 5 concussions in 2 years.. Pass :)

Just wait until NEM's wife's cousin's hairdresser checks in with the REAL scoop...

SamBamsFan said:
From Espn. com

Sims?

I agree with you on both fronts that I don't see the Pats moving up because the price is too steep and even if they did, it wouldn't be for a WR..

According to the value chart
pick #13 1150 points
pick#21 800 points

To make it work (I'm not advocating, just rambling)
Pats give #21 800 pts
#52 380
#229 (not comp-can be traded) 2.5 points
total 1183 points

Ravens give up
#13 1150 points
#146 33 points
total 1183 points

It works but I think the price (a #1,#2 and #7 for a higher #1 and a#5 )
is too steep....
Just my $0.02,
Michael

Last edited:
Those names don't excite me to move up to #13.

I believe our top 3rd, top 4th and 6th make this work.

Of course, the patriots are considering the available pick #13. Why would we not?

I've been thinking about starting a thread on this idea of value, especially later in the draft, but I'll start here by saying we need STARS, and preferrably: SUPER STARS.

If Tye Hill is going to be a superstar isn't he worth giving up a second rounder to go get (the fifth rounder is nearly immaterial in most drafts)? We win because we have, or had, Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, Dillon, Branch, Vrabel, Law and some very near stars in Givens (getting $5mil/yr validates your star status) Mankins, Watson, Warren, Colvin; not because of some alleged secret formula BB uses to conjure up the 'right' players from later rounds.

Every move is made in hopes the player you draft will become a star. Prime Example - would Brady have been much use in getting to 3 SB's if he had only become a serviceable backup who perfectly fit the Pat's offense style?

The only other thing you hope for in the draft is to get guys good enough to be coached into filling the blanks around the stars well enough to keep your team from constantly having bring in expensive FA's.

People, we won with Troy Brown at CB, why? Because the stars like Bruschi and Seymour, Vrabel and Harrison, McGinest and Colvin and Warren ravaged the opposition so throughly that it really didn't much who else was out there, not becuase Troy Brown suddenly could play like Ty Law.

Every team needs more stars, if BB says Hill will be one, then he's worth price.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Weren't they trading up with Detroit for Sean Taylor a couple of year ago?

No, they were going to trade up for DT Dwayne Robertson

mgteich said:

Of course, the patriots are considering the available pick #13. Why would we not?

Yeah - I never understand why everyone thinks a move from #21 to #13 is just soooo outrageously expensive.

Yeah we swap 1st rounders and have to give up some of our mid round picks (we can also trade 2007 picks that might or might not represent more value for the Ravens)... but that type of a move can represent a quantum leap in talent, especially if someone they have ranked in the top ten slides.

I like 3rd & 4th round picks too - don't get me wrong - and its clear you can find starting caliber LBs and other positions there - but for certain players and positions, 1st round draft choices make all the difference in the world.

mgteich said:

Yeah but only with the #1
so it would be #21 800
#75 215
#106 82
#191 16
total 1113
a #1, a #3, a #4, and a #6 to move up 8 spots.......

for pick #13 1150 points.....

patsfan2113 said:
that was a different year. Sean Taylor was shot down almost immediately by BB. To Paraphrase, he said something on the order that if he wouldn't give Milloy the $, why would he give it to a rookie.

SamBamsFan said:
From Espn. com

There is also a rumor floating around that the Patriots (No. 21) have interest in moving up to the Ravens' spot at No. 13.
BB has said often that you move up for a player, not a spot, so I doubt this will happen before the draft.

BB also said that he has discussions with a lot of teams before the draft to set up rough trade parameters. So it is highly likely that he and his former protoge Ozzie Newsome talked about trade parameters already.

Doesn't mean that either has any intention of trading, only that if they decide to trade, most of the details are already worked out.

patsfan2113 said:

Which is why I think the Jets don't pull the trigger on the trade. They have so many needs, they could use the multiple picks more wisely than by packaging them...
Just my $0.02,

I would trade up to get ahead of Miami (#16) IF Wimbley slides past Cleveland.
Of course if I were Cleveland, I'd be looking to do anything I could to secure Ngata. He is a huge powerful 3-4 NT and let's face it, Ted is just a stopgap.

Don't know if it was just his own instinct but on Sunday night Curren said the Patriots were targeting Wimbley. Felger of course wants his shut down corner, but he nodded and agreed that Kamerion could be a DE/OLB fit for them in the first.

Correct, but.....

patsfan2113 said:

Correct. But there was also a lot of talk about the Pats moving up to 5th (or there abouts) to select Sean Taylor. Being down here in Miami, that was the big rumor in the Miami Herald. I remember being very excited. It's strange that Sean turned out to be such a head case. He was a killer for us at the U.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back