PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots may use draft to replenish LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mike Parente's take, nothing earth shaking, but something to read while your clock watching...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16528281&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

BB's options...
He could either move Mike Vrabel back to the outside, which is where he played last year before switching to inside linebacker in October, or acquire a new outside linebacker with one of the Patriots’ 12 picks in this weekend’s NFL draft.

The latter gives them the best chance to win in 2006, because if they move Vrabel back to the outside, that leaves Monty Beisel as the frontrunner to start next to Tedy Bruschi at inside linebacker. Beisel’s inability to adjust to Belichick’s system last year in his first season with New England was the reason Vrabel had to change positions.

After making the switch, the Patriots improved from 25th in run defense to eighth by the end of the season. They benefited from having Bruschi and Vrabel - arguably their two smartest defenders - on the field next to each other calling plays at the line of scrimmage in absence of injured safety Rodney Harrison.

There’s no point tinkering with a successful formula, so the Patriots will likely pursue a versatile, pass-rushing outside linebacker this weekend to replace McGinest. The only problem is finding someone who fits Belichick’s criteria.
Ignore the minor errors in the piece, instead fantisize about what a more experienced Vrabel will do inside picking off Peyton again, being part of the blitz surprise, life is goooood...:)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Mike Parente's take, nothing earth shaking, but something to read while your clock watching...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16528281&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

BB's options...
Ignore the minor errors in the piece, instead fantisize about what a more experienced Vrabel will do inside picking off Peyton again, being part of the blitz surprise, life is goooood...:)

If I'm going to fantasize (Rated G edition), I'd trade a #3 for Donnie Edwards, let Beisel be a coverage linebacker, and move Vrabel outside....allowing me the option of NOT drafting an OLB who can start right away.

dryheat44 said:
If I'm going to fantasize (Rated G edition), I'd trade a #3 for Donnie Edwards, let Beisel be a coverage linebacker, and move Vrabel outside....allowing me the option of NOT drafting an OLB who can start right away.
Too complicated, move Klecko back to OLB alongside Ty and your front seven is set, then bring on the rookies.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Too complicated, move Klecko back to OLB alongside Ty and your front seven is set, then bring on the rookies.

Klecko has already shown that he lacks the agility to play in space. I imagine he could show up in TC playing ILB again, but I don't think he'll be playing OLB.

Leave Vrabel in the middle on run downs

He can move to a rush postion on passing downs. Klecko will not make the team this year. He will be an early cut. He has no position. He has straight ahead speed only, and doesn't have the strength for the middle.

Other possibilities are:
Eric alexander, I still think he was the best ILB on the field last preseason but never got a game shot. He seemed better than Brown and Biesel and he's been in the system a long time between LSU and the Pats.

TBC may do the job. He looks good at times but other times gets caught out of position.

bucky said:
Klecko has already shown that he lacks the agility to play in space. I imagine he could show up in TC playing ILB again, but I don't think he'll be playing OLB.
Probably, but if you get an edge rushing stud you can use him on passing downs. I don't see Dan going back to ILB, his natural quickness off the snap is minimized, whereas his quickness off the snap works great in-line and would allow him to seal the edge against the TE/FB and play to the strength of his down lineman experience and instincts. I'd have him compete for the slot with TBC, Beisel, Claridge and whomever. I can see him succeeding, and if not, no harm.

I was surprised to see, in the main forum, a suggestion that we draft as many as 3 LBs ...
presumably discarding some current benchwarmers.
THIS thread makes a lot more sense to me.

One of our theorems is that Belioli do not enter the draft NEEDING certain positions.
This clearly implies that mgt have found their replacements for McGinest (and Chatham) ...
and even TJ, who bailed too late last year for them to succeed him in the preseason ...
among our stealth quartet of Banta-Cain, Beisel, Claridge, and Alexander. It's just that
WE don't know who they are.

Any of these lads, of course, could be supplanted by a great rookie. But a fan who fathoms the system has to believe that ... whichever LB or two we acquire in a few days ... he is not going to be asked to become the answer at LB.

By the way, i love to muse that DannyBoy's career might be salvaged as an OLB. The NT and ILB options don't seem to be there for him anymore.

flutie2phelan said:
among our stealth quartet of Banta-Cain, Beisel, Claridge, and Alexander. It's just that WE don't know who they are.

Any of these lads, of course, could be supplanted by a great rookie. But a fan who fathoms the system has to believe that ... whichever LB or two we acquire in a few days ... he is not going to be asked to become the answer at LB.

I think this is the variable we do not have enought info on, has this quartet made enough progress to take more snaps that last year??, either way we need to replace #55 somehow...maybe there will be a DE that we can use in this role?? The Carpenter pick is too obvious for this franchise.

flutie2phelan said:
I was surprised to see, in the main forum, a suggestion that we draft as many as 3 LBs ...
presumably discarding some current benchwarmers.
THIS thread makes a lot more sense to me.

I think the other thread makes more sense. For fans to be counting on Klecko, Alexander, Beisel and TBC to solve our problems at LB is a matter of wishful thinking. These are all good players, but to expect them to step in for McGinest, Phifer, TJ and Chatham... that's asking much.

rookBoston said:
I think the other thread makes more sense. For fans to be counting on Klecko, Alexander, Beisel and TBC to solve our problems at LB is a matter of wishful thinking. These are all good players, but to expect them to step in for McGinest, Phifer, TJ and Chatham... that's asking much.

My quartet includes Tully Banta-Cain, not Klecko.

But as to the larger point ... suppose BB was as dismissive of that foursome as you are.
Would he then have let the entire first cycle of free agency pass by ...
without making some serious effort to bring in vet support ... before looking to the crapshoot of the draft?
After all, last year he bulked up during FA.

My main point is to try to replace your judgment of the second-stringers ... and mine ...
with Belichick's, Pees', and Pioli's judgment - as we infer it from their actions ... and inactivity.

flutie2phelan said:
My quartet includes Tully Banta-Cain, not Klecko.

But as to the larger point ... suppose BB was as dismissive of that foursome as you are.
without making some serious effort to bring in vet support ... before looking to the crapshoot of the draft?

My main point is to try to replace your judgment of the second-stringers ... and mine ...
with Belichick's, Pees', and Pioli's judgment - as we infer it from their actions ... and inactivity.
:singing: Always look on the bright side of life...whistling :singing:

flutie2phelan said:

I'm not being dismissive. I'm being pragmatic. I like Beisel and TBC and Klecko, but they are on the team to play particular roles. Just because TBC is valuable to the team doesn't mean he's qualified to play the Elephant. And Beisel is (worst case) a star on ST. But that doesn't make him a run stopper.

Yes he would. He generally does.

Beisel and Brown?

I'm not convinced. Look at 3-4 LBs that draft class has produced. Lofa Tatupu, who doesn't fit our system. Odell Thurman, who doesn't fit our system. Merriman, Ware and Pollack were all fits, and they went #11, #12 and #17, with us waiting at #32.

My only regret is Kirk Morrison, who went in the 3rd round, and looks like the next coming of Roman Phifer.

Let's not infer what isn't there for inference. The second stringers are on the team because they're good second stringers. Whether they can step into the starting roles has not been demonstrated.

And the fact that the braintrust didn't pursue Arrington or Peterson? Maybe they just dont like them.

BB has already said that this draft has a lot more LB candidates that fit the Pats system than recent years. Maybe the like the idea of Lawson and Dobbins better than anything they saw in FA.

I have no problem taking 3 LBs in this draft and letting competition sort out the weaker ones.

Ideally I'd love to see any of the 3 following options.

A) Wimbley or B) Lawson OLB (1st) or if both are gone
C) Carpenter ILB (Trade up from 52 or down from 21 into early 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back