PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots may be the heaviest favored team ever in odds to win SB before week 1 begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.bodog.com/sports-betting/football-futures.jsp

The 8/5 current updated odds the Patriots have right now in the odds to win the Super Bowl might in fact be the lowest EVER in the history of the NFL in terms of odds set every year at this time

I do not remember odds less than 2-1 EVER for any team and that includes the Cowboys,Broncos,Niners and Steelers in their glory years - They are also 1/6 odds in the division,thats what I call a HEAVY favorite.

For those who do not understand what this means is that for every dollar you bet on the Patriots you make $1.80 profit if they do win,Thats not much to gambling people.

Thats pathetic low payout and most will stay away from betting NE because its not worth the bet.

Save your money and just bet the weekly games with your legally authorized local bookie ;) .

Re: Patriots may be the heaviest favored team ever in odds to win SB before week 1 be

I think you only make $0.80 profit - the $1 you put up you just get back.

Actually, if the odds are 8:5, then shouldn't $100 bet = $160 return, or a profit of $60?

Re: Patriots may be the heaviest favored team ever in odds to win SB before week 1 be

Bodog is a joke in terms of serious sports betting in the same way that Harrah's properties are with Blackjack (paying 6-5) taking advantage of suckers.

You can get Pats at +385 right now at Olympic Sports and were able to get better than +400 for the last several months.

That's not say that your point about being the one of the heaviest favorites isn't true. I just don't want to see anyone wasting their money at Bodog.

Actually, if the odds are 8:5, then shouldn't $100 bet = $160 return, or a profit of $60?

ct, that is correct.

Now to the wet blanket... the odds represent the betting public. With the exception of a few sharks, the betting public can be thought of as very much like the American public at large, 70% of whom believe angels are significantly invested in their daily lives. A significant minority also believe elvis is still alive.

So basically, the betting public has simply heard name player after name player signing up with the Pats.

Granted, we haven't lost much this off-season. But come on... it is NOT a better than even proposition that the Pats win the Super Bowl. This is the age of parity, people! No, really, it is!

ah seen it on the talkin box.

PFnV

wouldn't it be a profit of $160. If the odds are 1:1, then a $100 bet would return a profit of $100. So an 8:5 bet will receive more than $100 ($160).

there is no consolation in being paper champions

I know, I know, don't kill the messenger, the odds are interesting to note though

http://www.bodog.com/sports-betting/football-futures.jsp

The 8/5 current updated odds the Patriots have right now in the odds to win the Super Bowl might in fact be the lowest EVER in the history of the NFL in terms of odds set every year at this time

I do not remember odds less than 2-1 EVER for any team and that includes the Cowboys,Broncos,Niners and Steelers in their glory years - They are also 1/6 odds in the division,thats what I call a HEAVY favorite.

For those who do not understand what this means is that for every dollar you bet on the Patriots you make $1.80 profit if they do win,Thats not much to gambling people.

Thats pathetic low payout and most will stay away from betting NE because its not worth the bet.

Save your money and just bet the weekly games with your legally authorized local bookie ;) .
colts were the vegas preseason favorite to win it all last season

so if the pats can keep that, and also go 0-4 in the preseason (like last year's colts), they'll be well on their way.

i saw a denver fan on the other hand, calling for cutler to be put back into the game late to ensure the W haha

That is a little deceiving since your getting the lines from Bodog. Bodog is a terrible site with future bets and always overprices the public teams.

I could get the Pats at 5-1 or so right now if I wanted. They are a big fav but probably no bigger than other past favored teams...

Basically, Bodog is trying to get people to bet on other teams and to stop betting on the Patriots.

As others have said, Bodog isn't the greatest.

wouldn't it be a profit of $160. If the odds are 1:1, then a $100 bet would return a profit of $100. So an 8:5 bet will receive more than $100 ($160).

2 - 1 odds would yield a profit of 100. You bet 100 to pay 200.

So, at 8 - 5 odds, you bet 500 to pay 800. 300 profit. Those odds suck. Would you risk losing 500 to only yield 300? Off course not.

Vegas has NE Pats SB Champs at 5 - 1 odds right now.

5-1 is solid I think but the AFC is pretty stacked....You got like 9 playoff caliber teams in this conference so it will be tough.

So, at 8 - 5 odds, you bet 500 to pay 800. 300 profit. Those odds suck. Would you risk losing 500 to only yield 300? Off course not.

Maybe there's a difference between U.S. and U.K. odds but I don't think that can be right.

You bet $100 at 2-1 and you get the other guy's $200 and keep your $100. If you only got $200 total, what about bets where the team is odds-on (5-8 rather than 8-5). If the quoted interpretation were true, any odds-on bet would lead to a loss even if you won!

Maybe there's a difference between U.S. and U.K. odds but I don't think that can be right.

You bet $100 at 2-1 and you get the other guy's $200 and keep your $100. If you only got $200 total, what about bets where the team is odds-on (5-8 rather than 8-5). If the quoted interpretation were true, any odds-on bet would lead to a loss even if you won!

HOLD on a minute you've got something there...

So 1-1 means you put up 100 and get back 200 (100 profit.)

2-1 means you put up 100 and get back 300 (200 profit).

8-5 means you put up 50 and get back 130 (80 profit).

Ergo if 5-5 = 1 to 1, then 8-5 = 1.6 to 1 (between 1-1 and 2-1, not BELOW 1-1.)

Gosh darn it all to heck, this gambling thing is trickier than I thought!

PFnV

My bad. You're right. [I don't gamble, period, so I sometimes lose sight of how these things work. ;) ]

Gosh darn it all to heck, this gambling thing is trickier than I thought!

Where is Frank Moga when you need him? :cool:

My bad. You're right. [I don't gamble, period, so I sometimes lose sight of how these things work. ;) ]

My old dad always said that the ability to play snooker was the sign of a misspent youth. I guess the inability to gamble goes the other way!

(He also said "Never bet on anything with fewer than four legs". I think that's good advice. :D)

(He also said "Never bet on anything with fewer than four legs". I think that's good advice. :D)

..which is particularly true when betting on the horses or dogs (although we now that's fixed because the hare always wins).

I always found that system of expressing the odds confusing, as others apparently have too. I don't know if it is done that way to confuse bettors or because bookies don't have mathematical backgrounds, but I always figured the sensible thing to do would be to express the probability of winning.

i hate this crap, I wish we were the underdogs again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots