PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots LB Ninkovich Inks 2-Year Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Quarterback

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ninkovich signs two year extension thru 2013

Two years $4 million. He has turned into a pretty decent player. Good inexpensive signing.
Rob Ninkovich signs extension with Patriots | ProFootballTalk

Also Welch back to Practice Squad, McDonald released.

I apologize for starting a thread that isn't about Ocho or Randy Moss or one bashing one of the teams all time greats for giving an opinion.

Re: Ninkovich signs two year extension thru 2013

I remember I thought he was pretty good and people were calling him stinkovich. He isn't all that but he's better than that stiff AD we had.

Better than Banta Cain coming off the edge and a FAR more complete player. Nice signing.

Agree. Good signing. Would like to upgrade. But, that's a liveable number even if he doesn't start. If he starts and plays well. He's a bargain. McDonald back and Taylor off practice squad as we play musical chairs there.

Congratulations to a hard-working player who hasn't made much above minimum in the past. Well earned.

IMO Ninkovich has been unfairly slammed by fans in the past as a scapegoat for the team's pass-rushing woes. He's versatile and plays with good discipline.

I agree with your comments. We need solid hard workers like Ninkovich.

That being said, I'm reminded of Sanders 2 or 3 seasons ago, or even Banta-Cain 2 seasons. I like the signing, but I really wih that Ninkovich has 2 top OLB's ahead of him in the depth chart.

I appreciate all the improvements on the defense in tne last couple of years. And yet, it seems that OLB and S are still are the team's weakest positions.

Congratulations to a hard-working player who hasn't made much above minimum in the past. Well earned.

IMO Ninkovich has been unfairly slammed by fans in the past as a scapegoat for the team's pass-rushing woes. He's versatile and plays with good discipline.

I appreciate all the improvements on the defense in tne last couple of years. And yet, it seems that OLB and S are still are the team's weakest positions.

If only my safety binky weren't looking so good as a CB, the safety situation would be a lot better. :)

As for OLB, it raises a question: what exactly is a Patriots OLB today? What should that be looking for?

If only my safety binky weren't looking so good as a CB, the safety situation would be a lot better. :)

As for OLB, it raises a question: what exactly is a Patriots OLB today? What should that be looking for?

If we're running the 4-3, the prototype would be Derrick Brooks and not Willie McGinest. BB has publicly mentioned some guys he didn't draft like Jon Beason and E. Sims. I'm thinking more speed than any of the lb's we currently have except Mayo. Early binky for me is Nigel Bradham - olb - Fla St. 6'2" 240lb doesn't look that heavy. Long arms. Plays against the Sooners tomorrow night on ABC. New England should have at least one player named Nigel no??

I agree with your comments. We need solid hard workers like Ninkovich.

That being said, I'm reminded of Sanders 2 or 3 seasons ago, or even Banta-Cain 2 seasons. I like the signing, but I really wih that Ninkovich has 2 top OLB's ahead of him in the depth chart.

Oh I agree, I don't want to see him starting every game, I would preferably like to see him more as quality depth.
Versatile player who has looked OK in the 4-3 also.

I remember I thought he was pretty good and people were calling him stinkovich.

Ah, The Timeless Wisdom of San Angelo. :bricks:

It's POSSIBLE ~ just POSSIBLE, mind you ~ that you weren't his ONLY fan, hereabouts. ;)

LOVE the kid, and ~ mark my words ~ he has only just BEGUN to rock.

The VAST majority of his best work...is yet in FRONT of him.

Congrats to Ninkovich.

The obvious question: Where's the spin move, Rob?

Nobody makes $4 million as an (occasional) edge rusher on this team without a spin move. ;)

SAFETY
True enough regarding Dowling.
Arrington seems to be fine in his role as dime back and the smallest DE in the league. I would have thought that he might play free safety, with our 3 corner positions so solid.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
I have given up thinking that I can answer this question. I understand that we don't need to have probowlers at every position, but it would good to have some of our top players be OLB. This used to be a major strength of the patriots. We have Ninovich, Fletcher, Cunningham and Anderson. Apparently, this is what Belichick wants. He certainly had the cap money to pay for an upgrade if he one was available.

Wait a minute. You mean we gave a contract extension to the worst starter in the NFL?! What gives?

Last edited:

Congratulations to Ninkovich. It's not silly money, but it's more than enough to make him set for life if he takes care of it.

Good for him.

Congratulations to Ninkovich. It's not silly money, but it's more than enough to make him set for life if he takes care of it.

Good for him.

Hopefully no one refers him to the Chris McAlister School of Money Management.

Good for him.

This. Love seeing a guy work his way up.

Ah, The Timeless Wisdom of San Angelo. :bricks:

It's POSSIBLE ~ just POSSIBLE, mind you ~ that you weren't his ONLY fan, hereabouts. ;)

LOVE the kid, and ~ mark my words ~ he has only just BEGUN to rock.

The VAST majority of his best work...is yet in FRONT of him.

Well congrats to you for seeing what I saw then. You probably weren't ridiculed like I was though. Oh the slings and arrows I suffer.

Seems a tad bit pricey for him, decent player and a good guy glad to keep him around I guess. Is he a DE in the new 4-3 defense? Haven't paid much attention to him this season.

ninky my binky

We have Ninovich, Fletcher, Cunningham and Anderson. Apparently, this is what Belichick wants. He certainly had the cap money to pay for an upgrade if he one was available.

OK, to me this highlights the necessity of the question. Can you really consider guys like Fletcher, Cunningham and Anderson as playing the same position? I think most of us would call Fletcher an ILB/MLB, and Anderson a situational DE. Plus not one of the guys you named has significant experience as a 4-3 OLB -- and all are a good bit bigger than a Thomas Davis or Lance Briggs (or Jerod Mayo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots