PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Koppen Carted Off Monday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dan Koppen injury thread

One last thought. why would this be any different than releasing Warren and resigning him later in the season which we could do. Obviously the issue is that another team gets a shot to sign him but i don't think we'd have to worry about that with Koppen.

NFLN: Dan koppen broken ankle

just heard it at 9:40 pm
googled the time to heal and it says atleast 6 weeks :confused::eek::mad:

One last thought. why would this be any different than releasing Warren and resigning him later in the season which we could do. Obviously the issue is that another team gets a shot to sign him but i don't think we'd have to worry about that with Koppen.

You generally can't release an injured guy and stop paying him his salary -- unless you make an injury settlement with him.

Last edited:

Something that seems more definitive:

Lions Training Camp Notes: List Of Injured Players Is Shrinking - Pride Of Detroit

"Within a five-day period, the team and player can reach a settlement on the injury. If that happens, there is a length applied to the settlement (how many weeks until the player will likely be healthy). At that time, the player can then sign with any other team. The Lions, though, couldn't re-sign him until six weeks after that time.

If the player doesn't reach a settlement with the team, he is paid until it's determined that he's "healthy.''

At that point, he is officially waived by the Lions, who cannot re-sign that player at any point all season.

File this under complicated rules most people have never heard of."

Ah, thanks! Sounds like it's something in-between -- there is a team-specific restriction on re-signing, but it doesn't last all season.

If I read that right, the Patriots couldn't sign him for the duration of the negotiated injury period, while other teams could. But the Pats could re-sign him after the period ends. So teams generally don't take the chance of doing this with starters because they could get poached, but they might be willing to take the chance with Koppen in the final year of his contract?

Unlike an ordinary, cut, though, Koppen would have to agree to it. What's in it for him? (Keep in mind that this is a once-a-career settlement he'd be using up.)

I thought we were pretty well set at OL....until about 1 week before the start of the season when we we began cutting....and cutting....

How good would Maneri look on the roster about now....yeah....you can never figure on an injury like this, but we were going thin on the OL to start the season.....just saying....

I do wonder about the prognosis on Cannon....

So we're looking at a November return to full health, which would leave him plenty of time to get into full game shape for the playoffs.

I feel much, much better about our line than a couple of weeks ago!

We have SIX starting quality lineman, plus a backup that has started. If both Vollmer and Wendell are back soon, we are in fine shape.

We do badly need another veteran backup now that Connolly has been moved to starter; it seems unlikely that we'll find a starting center out there.

I thought we were pretty well set at OL....until about 1 week before the start of the season when we we began cutting....and cutting....

How good would Maneri look on the roster about now....yeah....you can never figure on an injury like this, but we were going thin on the OL to start the season.....just saying....

I do wonder about the prognosis on Cannon....

Thank god it's "only" a broken ankle. In that case he should be ready for the PO at least.

Thank god it's "only" a broken ankle. In that case he should be ready for the PO at least.

Yes, depending on the severity of the break, and whether or not there is ligament damage or surrounding tissue/area damage.

Hopefully, as Deus said--we will get him back for the all important stretch run for Dec and Jan.

We will certainly find out more today, after the MRI is done (well, maybe we will find out more, lol..) One way or another, we will have a better idea depending on Belichick's info and whether or not he goes to IR.

Dan Koppen has a broken ankle | ProFootballTalk

Could Cannon be available to us for this season or was he IRd?

Could Cannon be available to us for this season or was he IRd?

PUP'ed.

He is eligible to return as soon as the 6th game is over, and there is a window after that of 3 weeks/games (not including the period that they get to activate him)

He is likely to miss about (approx.) 1/2 the season, unless he isn't ready to go then, in which case they'd put him on IR.

As of now he is eligible to return though. We'll see.

Last edited:

The one thing I hate about the NFL is the severe season ending injuries every team suffers through. Guess they're hoping for a clean break and no ligament damage. If so Dan might be back before the season ends.

Depending on the prognosis coming out of the MRI and surgery, he could be ready to resume football activities in 8 weeks. And if that remains the case they will almost certainly carry him on the roster for at least several weeks to see how he progresses through state of the art rehab (Dan if you're reading this try Reiki - works wonders on speeding up the healing process and can't ever hurt you...;)). After that it will become a needs based decision pending things we can't even speculate about at this juncture. They carried Law in '04 for several weeks until they realized his ankle (dreaded lis franc) wasn't going to heal and he was going to require surgery. Bill isn't one to let his players wait for a returning savior, but sometimes guys can focus and do things short term and occasionally they even develop in the interim into long term solutions...

Ah, thanks! Sounds like it's something in-between -- there is a team-specific restriction on re-signing, but it doesn't last all season.

If I read that right, the Patriots couldn't sign him for the duration of the negotiated injury period, while other teams could. But the Pats could re-sign him after the period ends. So teams generally don't take the chance of doing this with starters because they could get poached, but they might be willing to take the chance with Koppen in the final year of his contract?

Unlike an ordinary, cut, though, Koppen would have to agree to it. What's in it for him? (Keep in mind that this is a once-a-career settlement he'd be using up.)

Lot's in it for Koppen. Maybe you slip him a little cash as part of the initial settlement. He's getting his guaranteed contract whether he goes on IR or not.

Here's the big thing for Dan. As a veteran, soon to be FA, he would get to come back and show teams he can still play rather than going onto the market as the guy who missed all of last season with a broken ankle.

PLUS, maybe he gets to play for a Superbowl ring? I think there's quite a lot in it for Koppen.

Lot's in it for Koppen. Maybe you slip him a little cash as part of the initial settlement. He's getting his guaranteed contract whether he goes on IR or not.

I don't think that's how injury settlements work. In fact, I'm not even certain an injury settlement can apply in Koppen's contract situation. Here's a link to the provision in the old CBA:

If a player has a multi year contract in the NFL and sustains an injury that will keep him from playing longer than 1 year must a team pay him until he has recovered even if they want to release him

As I understand it, an injury settlement isn't just a random pile of cash, it's a proportion of his next year's contract. Koppen is not under contract for next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back