PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Issues? Rank 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Pass rusher, a Tedy type one.
2. A deep threat, not exactly as good as Moss, but at least have speed, this some ppl have addressed that's why we picked Price at a 3rd rounder, he should be a desean Jackson type of player if everything goes right.
3. Playoff mentality, this includes Brady himself.

1. Pass rusher, a Tedy type one.
2. A deep threat, not exactly as good as Moss, but at least have speed, this some ppl have addressed that's why we picked Price at a 3rd rounder, he should be a desean Jackson type of player if everything goes right.
3. Playoff mentality, this includes Brady himself.

Tedy Bruschi??

1. DE
2. G
3. OLB

DE/DT
OLB
C/G (pref both)
FB
WR

other then OL i think the offense is pretty much set if they re-sign Mankins, and light, and add a right G in the draft or FA it's one of the best OL's in football.

QB set with Brady and hoyer

RB 1555 yerds and 18 TD's from Woodhead, and BJGE there is relly not much more you can ask for on a pass first team.

WR Wes Welker, and Deion Branch, 134 rec 1554 yerds 12 TD's one of Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, or Taylor Price, needs to step up and become that #3 WR

TE set with Gronk and Hernandez, who had 87 rec 1109 yerds and 16 TD's

i dont care how many TD's Brady, throws or how many points they put up in the regular season come playoff time teams will find a way to hold them under 25 points that's way IMO all of the big needs for this team are on defense.

#1 3-4 DE they need a guy that can hold the point of attack in the run game and open holes for the OLB's to make plays

#2 a pass rushing OLB im not talking about a 10 sack guy who gets most of he's sacks when the team is up by 30 points im talking about a James Harrison, type guy that teams have to game plan around who can get pressure on the QB every play... useing dose two #1's and tradeing up to get Robert Quinn, would be a smart move IMO

the way i see it the pats are two players away from being a top 10 defense and that what they will need to be if they want to win the SB again

Hard to disagree with what's been said about the D in this thread.

I've been reading about Brady's injury and the surgery that was performed (Medical expert: Tom Brady in serious pain - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN) and I guess I think his health is an "issue" as he prepares to start another season at the age of 34. He's taken a lot of hits that don't show up in the sacks stats.

I disagree on your RB conclusions. Yes, of course, the law firm and Woody had great seasons, but I think that, as he gets older and injuries take their toll, Brady could use a game changing RB in the backfield; the kind of guy that a Defense has to plan around.

The Jets "re-proved" on Sunday what BB demonstrated in SB XXXVI; if you can disrupt and cover a bunch of good receivers, you're going to have a QB who looks "confused" (but really isn't) all day. I think they need a WR that the opposition has to plan around.

And, finally, "Sign Mankins. Just pay the man and sign him up."

when you actually list them out the needs are substantial.

My priorities:

1) Right DE with pass rush abilities
2) Left OLB with pass rush abilities
3) Left OT, especially if Light leaves
4) Left OG, especially if Mankins leaves
5) Left DE to eventually replace Ty Warren
6) Right OG better than Connolly, especially if Neal and Kaczur are both done
7) Young C better than Koppen- #6 & #7 might be filled by one combo guy and one vet
8) Power RB with more speed than Law Firm
9) Right OLB to push Cunningham
10) Good pass coverage S, especially if Meriweather leaves
11) 3rd CB to push or replace Butler in nickle
12a) Tall WR (6'3" or taller) to compliment our smurfs
or
12b) very fast WR to compliment our possession guys (may be filled by development of Price & Tate)

Last edited:
I agree with you that BJGE and Woodhead did great things for us this year but as it stands, they are the only two RBs under contract. Obviously it's a position that needs to be addressed and I'd like to see them do more than simply bring in some JAGs and see which one sticks. I wouldn't be disappointed if they use a high pick on the position. Adding another RB that can cause problems can only help Brady.
High picks at RB aren't anything near as effective as getting a diamond in the rough, which is what the Pats do successfully. They need to use their draft clout on an O-lineman.

Priorities:

1. BETTER GAME PLANNING FOR PLAYOFF GAMES- Pats need to stop treating the playoffs like they're just another game. They are not. They need to regain their ferocity and hopefully some of the young guys will get that in Jan and Feb of 2012.
2. Get back Ty Warren- Solidifies his side of the line and opens pass rush lanes for next priority
3. Find a solid pass-rushing LB either through draft or trading pick
4. Get back our Ghost- Starting field position for the opposition was ridiculous all year.

1 # Team attitude . I miss those days of hits ,trash talking and just being mean . I remember the pregame fights in the SB vs pathers ,the same talking and trashing of steelers of old. Now this team is a bunch of "DO YOUR JOB" guys ,no emotion and no passion. These teams play with no attitude. It is not the defense sucks now its more like this defense has no balls , attitude and able to bully people.Seymour would bully gaurds and smack em around.
Now things go bad we just do our job and hope somehow we win....crap.
In NFL the talent is so close that if you play with less emotion or motivation you deserve to get beat.

2# Coaching We need a decent OC , unlike BB stepping into change stuff around he can concentrate on Defense.

3# Mayo looked pissed last night on quick slants i want him to step up and be the leader. How many big hits has he has laid ...i do not remember many.He plays too placid per coaching.

4# OL - this is a great line but man it gets bullied in the playoff , we have come as far as talent and coaching can take us .Its not like mankins has to come in to make the line mean. What the heck the others are doing.Seems like this whole draft the good football player who is good at heart and is a saint.our OL gets beat every time they play a more emotional and passionate teams DL. No amout of new players is going to change this. IN the 07 SB,last year ravens and this year jets , these defense [front 7] played with more passion and that is how you beat this team or that matter how we beat the colts in the early decade.Great talent with no passion can be had.

Last edited:
Priorities:

Outside Linebacker (3-4 Defensive Alignment)
Right Offensive Guard
Defensive End (3-4 Defensive Alignment)
Offensive Tackle
Running Back
Backup Free Safety
Nickel Cornerback

Pass rushing OLB, OT, C, and DE.....maybe even a CB if someone BB really likes falls...after that a RB that is a threat to break a play for BIG yards on any carry...BJGE can get the tough 3-5 yards but isn't really a threat to go the distance....need to have defenses pay if they are going to put 6 or 7 DB's on the field.

I like the WR's and TE's we have already. Not sure what will be avail in FA but BB should take a plunge there also. There already are a ton of youngsters that need mentors, and Taylor and Faulk may be gone next season...Matt Light could be a $$$$$ issue casualty....

PLEASE SIGN LOGAN !

In my very humble, yet awesome opinion :cool:...

1. DE
2. RG
3. OLB
4. WR (specifically flanker)
5. C

Four out of five were significant issues last offseason as well.

1) Head Coach - all things must come to an end and the Pats recent run of "chokes" falls on the feet of Bill. Blows 18 pt (record) lead against Colts in AFCC game, loses SB 42 to 14 pt underdog, loses 1st round playoff home game to Ravens, 2010 14-2 Pats fail to win a single playoff game as #1 seed. He is turning Tom Brady into Dan Fouts. Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass,...lose when it counts. Time to institute coaching term limits, 10 years and your are out.

2) Running back - further indication on Bill's failure. He has NEVER been able to draft and develop a running back. Epic short coming...

3) GM - the organization lacks the proper coaching structure for success. Letting the "ball boy" or "equipment guy" call offensive and defensive plays is a joke.

4) Fans - time to wake up and smell the coffee. Tickets, parking and concessions prices through the roof. If you keep rewarding playoff failure they will keep serving 14-2 playoff chokes.

See rabthepat, the problem with your post is #1 makes you look like you don't know anything about football, so why would anyone read further?

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but you were in the playoffs last year, and this year. Does it really make sense to trade a proven coach , like BB? To say Miami, he'd kick your butt in 2 years. There is no team in the NFL that would not hire BB in a second. We would even consider it. If he landed a job with a AFC team, you might never see a playoff again, hes that good.

Last edited:
Not much to add in the way of priorities, really:

1) 3-4 Defensive Ends who can command double teams. We will then find out how good our OLBs are in pass rushing situations.

2) Centre and Guard with an ability to over power larger DTs and NTs (although I wonder if Koppen is playing hurt...)

We did go 14-2 and lose by 7 points to a very fired-up and brilliantly coached team. There isn't a huge amount to fix and, besides, the salary cap precludes making wholesale changes.

See rabthepat, the problem with your post is #1 makes you look like you don't know anything about football, so why would anyone read further?

Not trying to hurt your feelings, but you were in the playoffs last year, and this year. Does it really make sense to trade a proven coach , like BB? To say Miami, he'd kick your butt in 2 years. There is no team in the NFL that would not hire BB in a second. We would even consider it. If he landed a job with a AFC team, you might never see a playoff again, hes that good.

He doesn't know anything about football. He was constantly negative in the midst of the 2007 undefeated season and almost seemed happy that the Pats lost the Super Bowl afterward.

Wow! I dont post much because I feel things here fall on deaf ears. But here it goes. A decent (no, we dont even have a decent one) pass rush can cure many problems. The secondary does not have to run around all day, we watched Marc Snachez waiving to recievers to alter routs to get open. With most other team he would have been on his back. EVERYONE who beats the Patsies (yes, I feel they are soft) does it with a heavy pass rush. We have not had one for years. Wouldnt Clay Mathews look good in blue right now. To win in the playoffs you must pressure the QB. Make the other team one dimensional. Most of the D-line was injured but 3-4 defenses pressure with the OLB ala Willie Mcginest, DeMarcus Ware, Clay Mathews etc. The Jests, Cowboys, Chargers, Packers, Steelers and Ravens have all found a way to pressure the QB with OLBs. Why has this team passed on the bigges impact position on the defense for so long? This has to be the biggest need for this team (it has been for years). You dont need #1 picks for OL,DE. If you do then stop trading out of the first round and pick 1 or 2 if you have the pics (which the Patsies always do). Its so frustrating even discussing this when BB will continue to trade down and pick dissapointing corners over and over and let impact players fall to other teams.

pick 17:best DE availalbe to fit our system
pick 28:best OT available who is capible of playing both sides
Pick 33: Best C/OG available
pick 60: best 3-4 OLB available
pick 74: best OG available
pick 92: best player available of DT,RB,WR,DE/OLB.
Pick 124: same
Pick 156: same
Pick 188: same
Alsolutely no need for DB's look at the roster we will be cutting good quality DB's, not one of our cuts at DB will go unclaimed except for curent PS players.
No need at TE.
No need at ILB.
We have an excelent chance to fill all of our need in this next draft.

Last edited:
I would rank our issues like this:

1. Not being able to beat a WC team.
2. Not being able to beat a WC team.
3. Not being able to beat a WC team.
4. Not being able to beat a WC team.
5. Offensive line.

pick 17:best DE availalbe to fit our system
pick 28:best OT available who is capible of playing both sides
Pick 33: Best C/OG available
pick 60: best 3-4 OLB available
pick 74: best OG available
pick 92: best player available of DT,RB,WR,DE/OLB.
Pick 124: same
Pick 156: same
Pick 188: same
Alsolutely no need for DB's look at the roster we will be cutting good quality DB's, not one of our cuts at DB will go unclaimed except for curent PS players.
No need at TE.
No need at ILB.
We have an excelent chance to fill all of our need in this next draft.
This is just what im talking about. You can not slot a draft this way, If the best DE avail isnt a first round value, you cant pick him in the first round. Dont you people pay attention, dont you know how the draft works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back