PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots interested in WR Marc Boerigter (KC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I thought I saw this posted somewhere but I reposted anyhow.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBAL2I3WKE.html

"While sorting out the quarterback situation, the Bucs also will look at some receivers and a linebacker. Kansas City receiver Marc Boerigter arrived in Tampa on Thursday and will spend today with Bucs coaches and officials. Boerigter's agent, Craig Domann, said the Packers and Patriots are also interested."

*The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Boerigter, a four-year veteran, has battled injuries the last two seasons. He has 39 career catches for 697 yards and eight touchdowns (all TDs in 2002).

*Mike Reiss is a sports reporter for The Boston Globe West who has covered the Patriots for the last four seasons.

Here are his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/316192

MrTibbs said:
I thought I saw this posted somewhere but I reposted anyhow.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBAL2I3WKE.html

"While sorting out the quarterback situation, the Bucs also will look at some receivers and a linebacker. Kansas City receiver Marc Boerigter arrived in Tampa on Thursday and will spend today with Bucs coaches and officials. Boerigter's agent, Craig Domann, said the Packers and Patriots are also interested."

*The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Boerigter, a four-year veteran, has battled injuries the last two seasons. He has 39 career catches for 697 yards and eight touchdowns (all TDs in 2002).

*Mike Reiss is a sports reporter for The Boston Globe West who has covered the Patriots for the last four seasons.

Here are his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/316192

must be flutie's influence....Boerigchter was a stud in his season or two up here (CFL)

He looks like he has a lot of potential by his yards per catch and the TD's he scored in his first season starting. Nice big target, something Brady hasn't seen much of. Makes you remember all those pases that sailed high during the season. He could use a guy who can go up and get them.

MrTibbs said:
He looks like he has a lot of potential by his yards per catch and the TD's he scored in his first season starting. Nice big target, something Brady hasn't seen much of. Makes you remember all those pases that sailed high during the season. He could use a guy who can go up and get them.

They sailed high due to his sports hernia I would think. Without questoin, a big tall stud would be an awesome target.

Ah! Of course now Marc Boerigter is a stud! Reche Caldwell caught 28 balls last year, but that can't compare with Boerigter's marvelous 8 catches! (39 career since 2002 - missed 2004 with a knee injury...just like Caldwell). Despite such, I would still like to see Boerigter float our way. Well, as he was caught behind a big run-first offense in KC, along with Tony Gonzalez getting most of the receptions and Eddie Kennison also seeing a lot of time. He was their #3/4 WR, depending where you put Dante' Hall.

marc_boerigter.jpg

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/marc_boerigter/

Transactions: Signed a one-year contract with Kansas City (4/19/05) ... Signed a seven-year contract with Kansas City (2/7/02) ... Entered the CFL as a free agent with Calgary (5/12/00).

But here's his scouting report, for those interested:

Full Name: Marc Robert Boerigter
Born: May 4, 1978 Hastings, NE
Height: 6-3
Weight: 220 lbs.

Pos: WR
Experience: 3 years
College: Hastings

Insider Analysis
Grade: 60

Expert's Take
Boerigter has very good size for the position. He has decent quickness but not great. He is tentative as he comes off the line and he does not have a burst when he comes out of his stance. He runs very well once he reaches his top end speed and he shows the ability to stretch the defense vertically. He struggles at times to get a release off the line of scrimmage and he seems to have a difficult time with a bigger defender who presses him at the line. He is a little raw in terms of his route running skills and he does not get good separation coming out of his cuts. He lacks awareness in running routes and attacking coverages and he has a difficult time getting open versus tight man to man coverage. He has good hands and he shows that he can be effective in the red zone and particularly on fade routes and he can catch the ball over some of the smaller defensive backs. He will go over the middle and make the catch and he can catch the ball with his arms extended however he does not adjust well to the ball in the air and he is a little inconsistent overall in catching the ball. It is almost like he loses his concentration and he drops a lot of balls that should be caught. As a blocker he lacks upper body strength and he is not aggressive. He will work hard to get his hands on a defender but he doesn't follow through. He can take the ball up field after the catch and he shows some big play capability and he does an adequate job on special teams.

60-64: Good Backup
This is a player who is really on the bubble and only starts because of a team's deficiency at the position. ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle, he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season. ... This player needs to be a solid contributor in the kicking game or show great versatility at his position to keep his roster spot. ... He is a player you don't mind having on your team, but you are always looking to upgrade.

Last edited:
If he's battling with Dante Hall as a reciever there's not much hope for him.

Willie55 said:
If he's battling with Dante Hall as a reciever there's not much hope for him.

Come to think of it, Boerigter was #5 on the Chiefs' depth chart:

Eddie Kennison - 16 games, 16 starts - 68 catches/1102 yds., 5 TDs

Samie Parker - 12 games, 9 starts - 36 catches/533 yds., 3 TDs

Dante' Hall - 16 games, 2 starts - 34 catches/436 yds., 3 TDs

Chris Horn - 14 games, 3 starts - 18 catches/187 yds., 0 TDs

Marc Boerigter - 10 games, 0 starts - 8 catches/119 yds., 0 TDs

And, of course...

Tony Gonzalez - 16 games, 16 starts - 78 catches/905 yds., 2 TDs

pats1 said:
Come to think of it, Boerigter was #5 on the Chiefs' depth chart:

Quality size/speed special teamer, though, who might offer something in the passing game as well. Decent camp body, probably would make the team, worth a look.

Covert said:
Quality size/speed special teamer, though, who might offer something in the passing game as well. Decent camp body, probably would make the team, worth a look.

Worth more than I look. With our current WR, I'd bring him in.

yup, another stud (eye roll). Branch, Johnson, Caldwell, Childress and Boatwhatever......should strike fear throughout the NFL. Please, people.....

Garbanza said:
yup, another stud (eye roll). Branch, Johnson, Caldwell, Childress and Boatwhatever......should strike fear throughout the NFL. Please, people.....
whatever more garbage talk....

They're gonna need bodies for TC. Now that TO is infecting the cowboys I wonder if we will make a serious offer to keyshaun? What I wouldn't give for a Steve Smith..... sheeeesh. :rocker:

I am one of the biggest Pats fans here - but lets keep in real. The WR position isn't exactly deep right now - I suspect that will change immensely. Do the Pats need a stud WR - not really. The distribute the ball so much - Pass, Faulk, the TE's - that Branch as our "stud" should suffice, but boy it would be nice to have a good route running #2 to take the pressure off of Branch - if that is "garbage" talk, then so bit it....but with Brach's injury history, is it really "garbage?" C'mon now. I think it's realistic. Our lack of depth in the seconadry has me concerned too. Of course this will continue to be addressed - but with the Pats recent history of d-backs falling like flies, I want bodies! LB depth concerns me as well. There are many questions right now. I know these concerns will be addressed. I do sometimes worry that the FO will make some bad moves (Brown, Starks and Beisel) again. Not a huge worry - but a worry nonetheless. I also understand that the biggest issue the Pats face is getting Seymour squared away. He is the cornerstone of the defense. I have much faith in BB and company.....but it is NOT blind faith like many of you exhibit. Sorry.

Last edited:
I know I'm on the record as not being too excited about the Caldwell signing, but Boerigter intrigues me. He's a fast, big-play receiver, who was never the primary option in Kansas City. His first year, he averaged 21 yards per catch on 20 catches, with *eight* touchdowns. From a stats perspective, reminds me a lot of David Patten -- you'd see 3 catches for 83 yards in the box score, and go, "who the hell is this guy?"

Kansas City hasn't had a decent receiving corps in years, aside from Tony Gonzalez. I'm inclined to believe that KC's talents are in the O-line/running game, and not in WR development.

This could be a diamond in the rough for the Pats. Boerigter would never be a #1, but could be a #2 with a lot of upside potential, just like Patten was.

GoWhalers said:
I know I'm on the record as not being too excited about the Caldwell signing, but Boerigter intrigues me. He's a fast, big-play receiver, who was never the primary option in Kansas City. His first year, he averaged 21 yards per catch on 20 catches, with *eight* touchdowns. From a stats perspective, reminds me a lot of David Patten -- you'd see 3 catches for 83 yards in the box score, and go, "who the hell is this guy?"

Kansas City hasn't had a decent receiving corps in years, aside from Tony Gonzalez. I'm inclined to believe that KC's talents are in the O-line/running game, and not in WR development.

This could be a diamond in the rough for the Pats. Boerigter would never be a #1, but could be a #2 with a lot of upside potential, just like Patten was.

I just don't get how you can call Boerighter a possible #2 but Caldwell not. He had EIGHT catches last year as a NUMBER 5 receiver.

Caldwell averaged over 3 catches/game for 17 yards/catch as the Chargers' #2 in 2004.

Boerigter is 3 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier.

Boerigter has 4.49 40 speed. Caldwell had a 4.44.

Boerigter went undrafted. Caldwell was a 2nd round pick. I do believe Caldwell has more potential.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
I just don't get how you can call Boerighter a possible #2 but Caldwell not. He had EIGHT catches last year as a NUMBER 5 receiver.

Caldwell averaged over 3 catches/game for 17 yards/catch as the Chargers' #2 in 2004.

Boerigter is 3 inches taller and 5 pounds heavier.

Boerigter has 4.49 40 speed. Caldwell had a 4.44.

Boerigter went undrafted. Caldwell was a 2nd round pick. I do believe Caldwell has more potential.
Honestly where you get drafted shouldnt matter. I dont care if both were drafted in the same round every player has potential just some scouts see it faster in some players than in others.

Another thing is Brady makes WR's better on this team.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Honestly where you get drafted shouldnt matter. I dont care if both were drafted in the same round every player has potential just some scouts see it faster in some players than in others.

Another thing is Brady makes WR's better on this team.

Exactly. You have to apply it to both players, then. Caldwell is the better player to start off with.

pats1 said:
Exactly. You have to apply it to both players, then. Caldwell is the better player to start off with.
So Spurgen Wynn (sp ?) is a better player "to start off with" than Tom Brady because he was drafted higher.

BelichickFan said:
So Spurgen Wynn (sp ?) is a better player "to start off with" than Tom Brady because he was drafted higher.

No, no. With the draft reference, I was just using it as an example to wonder why "Boerigter had a lot of upside and potential at the #2 spot, but Caldwell didn't."

And to "start off with" I mean how the two players have performed in the past. Caldwell has performed better than Boerigter and is thus the "better player to start off with" before Brady's influence is applied.

pats1 said:
Ah! Of course now Marc Boerigter is a stud! Reche Caldwell caught 28 balls last year, but that can't compare with Boerigter's marvelous 8 catches! (39 career since 2002 - missed 2004 with a knee injury...just like Caldwell). ....

Absolutely !

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back