PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast VIII: Patriots interested in WR Brian Hartline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amendola did what he was expected to do when we signed him in 2-3 games this season, why the hell do you see that as a positive? Do you think that he signed a 5 year $31M deal to be the #3 WR and perform at a level of expectation in 15% of the games.

You are ignoring the fact that Edelman beat him out for the position, and at the time Amendola was signed, we didn't know a) just how much a beast Edelman was b) he would be on the roster long-term. Amendola's production is obviously going to take a huge hit as a result.

That doesn't mean we keep overpaying him, but it doesn't mean now is the right time to cut ties with him. It might, if we can find a cheap replacement in free agency. But it also might not. You are oversimplifying things far too much just by looking at production per dollar in this case.

I think that the situation is straightforward. The team may be able to keep Amendola at a reduced salary or not. In any case, IMHO, the team needs to look at options at WR. To me, this only means that the team will not accept going into season with Dobson, Tyms and Boyce as our #3, #4 and #5 receivers, if there are other options.

BTW, there is no immediate need to cut Amendola, even if he won't reduce his salary. The team can certainly wait two or three months.

I thought that Amendola played well last year. he caught the balls that were thrown to him and blocked well. I would caution getting rid of him because, as we have all seen, the Pats offense is not something easy to pick up, and only a few WR have made the transition. LaFell I think has picked it up the fastest. Amendola also provided good KO returns and played well in the punt return game.

The way Edelman plays will make it difficult for him to play an entire season. The last Jets game when he was out, Amendola basically took his place and made those third down catches. I'm not sure that is something you just want to throw out with the bathwater. Granted he has not lived up to the hype, but he has been solid, and provides injury protection. If the Pats could convince him to restructure his contract maybe lower his cap hit a little, that would be optimum.

Bottomline is I would keep Amendola over signing Hartline.

You are ignoring the fact that Edelman beat him out for the position, and at the time Amendola was signed, we didn't know a) just how much a beast Edelman was b) he would be on the roster long-term. Amendola's production is obviously going to take a huge hit as a result.

That doesn't mean we keep overpaying him, but it doesn't mean now is the right time to cut ties with him. It might, if we can find a cheap replacement in free agency. But it also might not. You are oversimplifying things far too much just by looking at production per dollar in this case.
Amendola had the job day 1 and he lost it to Edelman and then he lost the #2 job to LaFell this season. Once again his own fault and if anything it highlights the failure of him being signed.

Really folks, you can't make this sh.t up.

Yeah my therapist agrees he isn't a good WR and is grossly overpaid.
You need a new therapist -- preferably, someone with knowledge of football in general and the Patriots specifically. ;)

Amendola had the job day 1 and he lost it to Edelman and then he lost the #2 job to LaFell this season. Once again his own fault and if anything it highlights the failure of him being signed.

Amendola didn't lose anything to LaFell. He is not a split end. They're different positions.

Amendola was not signed to play the position that LaFell now occupies, that is a different position in this offense. He was signed to play the position Edelman now owns, and really only played it one week - and played it extremely well - in a win over Buffalo before his injury. Since then, Edelman put a stranglehold on that position by becoming a beast and Brady's binky.

While I doubt Amendola could match what Edelman's done 100%, I would wager that if not for Edelman's emergence, Amendola's production would probably be worth his contract.

Again - when something like that happens, and a player unexpectedly takes hold of a position that was allocated to another player for the long-term, it means roster decisions have to be made. But not blindly. Yes, Amendola is not worth his contract in terms of production. But why, again, is that enough to release him? Sometimes you have to overpay a guy for a year or two, because it's the best option left, still. We need to see how the offseason plays out. He might end up cut, he might not. It would be great if he restructured, but I don't see why he would, necessarily.

You don't have to. Dispute 1 thing I said Ivan I dare you to. You can't

Lmao, my point was that no one was saying he was worth it. You have been subjecting everyone here to an argument you are having with no one. I have said repeatedly that we all agree he wasn't worth the contract and the only way he stays is a restructure and pay cut and when I challenged you to find anyone who was claiming he was worth it you refused and continued arguing with yourself.

Seek help, seriously. You are mentally ill.

Real simple question, Danny Amendola currently has the seventh highest cap # on the New England Patriots, does that seem appropriate to you?

Sure. Sounds about right. If you look around the NFL, $5.7 million is pretty standard fare in the 4-7 slot in team salary caps. It represents 3.7% of the total cap. It's the third year of a veteran deal. Nothing unusual or surprising there.

Amendola's deal is tied for 198th highest in the NFL. Guys in his neighborhood are D'Qwell Jackson, Brandon Mebane, Heath Miller, Matt Schaub, Brandon Browner. They're all guys who got a good non-rookie deal and who had produced for multiple years. No big deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/

That's the beauty of the rookie deals which puts players at the outset of their careers on smaller deals, and when you have the 2nd youngest team to ever play in a Super Bowl, it means you have a lot of guys still working through their rookie deals.

Show us those posts?

Here is my initial response. Not one person here is arguing that Amendola is worthh his contract yet you hijack thread after thread after thread with literally thousands of posts trashing Amendola. The only person i have ever seen who was as batsh.t crazy as you are in my time taking football on messageboards was NEM.

Ànd Mrs. NEM, and SON OF NEM, and GHOST OF NEM.............??.

You need a new therapist -- preferably, someone with knowledge of football in general and the Patriots specifically. ;)

I'm seriously pissed that Amendola couldn't beat out even Tim Wright.

Amendola didn't lose anything to LaFell. He is not a split end. They're different positions.
He lost playing time to LaFell last season he played significantly more snaps.

If a player who is serviceable finds a role, consistently competes his ass off, and is a very large reason you just won a championship is overpaid by a couple of million dollars that is something I can live with. I think most here would agree that Edelman likely deserves Amendola's deal, and they would take Amendola for Edelman's. So, really, it's not that big of a deal. It's not the end of the world if the entire 53 man roster isn't on team friendly contracts.

He lost playing time to LaFell last season he played significantly more snaps.

Do you understand the difference between a split end, flanker, and slot receiver? That makes about as much sense as claiming that Blount lost his job to Vereen in the Super Bowl.

Here is my initial response. Not one person here is arguing that Amendola is worthh his contract yet you hijack thread after thread after thread with literally thousands of posts trashing Amendola. The only person i have ever seen who was as batsh.t crazy as you are in my time taking football on messageboards was NEM.

Ànd Mrs. NEM, and SON OF NEM, and GHOST OF NEM.............??.
I don't who Nem is but I'm sure he was some poster that you followed around quoting and then posted about how he high jacked the thread. Honestly I just want you dispute one thing I have said about Amendola and if you cannot do that I want you to give me one compelling reason that we should bring Amendola back at even 50% of his current salary which would still be a $3.45M cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back