PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Inactives : Mallett, Ridley, Vereen, Guyton, Thomas, Vollmer, Ocho

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't and wouldn't phrase it that way, but otherwise we're in agreement. :)

Looks like the game plan is serious shotgun/spread, with RBs blocking or operating in space rather than crashing through the line.`

it's just a play off of the song. :D

(One.More.Time...We gonna celebrate!)

It's an over reaction.

You do understand that if you have a turnover of any type it decreases your odds of winning..

I would prefer a back that gets 3-4 yards and not fumble, than a back that gets 4-5 yards and fumbles.. you cannot take that chance against a team like the Ravens.

Pretty confident that the Ravens studied his fumbles all week, and can determine his weakness.

Reiss take on this...

Rookie running back Stevan Ridley, who fumbled in each of the last two games but has looked like the team's most explosive rusher, is the surprise player on the inactive list. This looks like a case where the coaching staff couldn't fully trust Ridley's ball security in a game where there could be a razor-thin margin for error.

Last edited:
Disappointed that neither of the rookie RBs have put themselves in a position where they can contribute today.

But mostly surprised about Vollmer -- I thought he was a gametime decision last week. Not that he would get the start over Solder, but I'd like to have at least seen him in the "big" TE package.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I doubt many saw Ridley being inactive...I'm sure the fumbles didn't help, but I think Faulk just offers more for this particular game in the eyes of BB...Still, would have been nice to see him out there as he has that burst of speed that could have hurt the Ravens.

As for Ocho, not much talk on here about that. The death of his father has obviously unsettled him but I guess he is just not ever going to be a major part of the Offense. I think a few of us hope he will be (there is a thread every week) but BB thinks with his head not his heart.

There are a number of us cheering them on from Old England tonight...Go Pats!!!

Found out first time all season Ridley has been inactive. Tough for the young guy ..wow...Iam big on good omens and didnt like it when BB deactivated Troy Brown for SB42.

I felt the same way about Troy Brown being inactive that night. However, Troy Brown was trying to play in his last game that night (could he have helped win the game? debatable, but probably not)...Stevan Ridley has a long career ahead of him and needs to develop the trust of the coaches. These situations are apples and oranges.

Mildly surprised but not shocked he's inactive. I'm disappointed as I believe he's our most dynamic runner but i thought that last fumble had the potential to really hurt his postseason.

I just hope we don't get into a situation similar to last year where we actually need to go to the run. I have no faith in the Lawfirm against this ravens front to keep it 100. I think Faulk helps us in Pass pro and that's it.

Ridley's inactivity might also have to do with his blitz pickups as well as ball security and Ravens stripping strength. A little. Personally, I think we'll see Woodhead heavily involved today. Although he gets blown up on on pickups on occasion, he's no turnstile. In today's game plan, the right read, getting there, and a receiving/running/combo threat might be more important than the possible extra burst/elusiveness Ridley might provide.

Bummed on Seabass, but the good news is that's he's still around. Maybe he's looking toward the next game with an extra week if we get it done today.

Guyton and the other tea leaves of inactives, tells me they're gearing up to stop/contain the run and force Flacco to beat them.

I'm also surprised at the Ridley inactive decision.
BJGE certainly has not been getting it done.

On the last Ridley fumble - he was hit helmet-to-helmet by a Denver DT, and the DT went down and had to be helped off the field. Huge collision, and the DT jarred the ball loose as he hit Ridley, as I saw it. Never good, but a hit strong enough to lay out the DT.

Guess we're going to see a lot of NJGE, Woodhead, and Faulk today..

Maybe we'll see more Edelman and Underwood. Edelman DID light up the Ravens the last time when he filled in for Welker.

Good call, DB.

Edelman could see a lot of touches today. Faulk will be pass blocking in the backfield.

Ocho might have been inactive today with or without the sad family matters. BB might have given him the heads up to save a little face & not stir the media pot before the game.

All conjecture of course.

Last edited:
Mallett is a no brainer(NM)

Ridley is a surprise but not really after fumbling twice(to be expected)

Vereen still has that injury bug(this guy is looking like glass)

Guyton is in a downward spiral(not sure anyone here has ever had faith in him)
Thomas is an extra guy(NM)

Vollmer I guess is still injured(starting to worry about this guys long term health - a back injury that has lasted this long to a dude that big at a demanding position is not a good sign)

Ocho well his father pass and we barely use him anyway(I suppose not surprised given his personal situation, but actually thought, like the first Denver game, they might throw a wrinkle in there with him this week to stretch field/challenge those CB's of Balt given you know they will be focusing on the middle of the field)

the Ridley decision is an over reaction. .

No, its not. It is the big picture, the Patriot way. It's Jimmy Johnson cutting a player right before the playoffs in Dallas. Did you hear anyone speak poorly to the media this week? Thanks BB.

Inactive or not. I heard Guyon yell "Hey Marshall swing by my pad! You can sit down, relax, grab some popcorn and 'enjoy the ride.'". :)

Last edited:
Now i have a sort of a bad feeling about Ridley being inactive.

I don't think Spikes can keep up with Rice out of the backfield on patterns

Spikes will have inside responsibility and the OLBs will have outside responsibility. They will also have Fletcher spy on Rice in stretches.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Spikes will have inside responsibility and the OLBs will have outside responsibility. They will also have Fletcher spy on Rice in stretches.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

TE's should be a factor for the Ravens in the passing game.

3 and out would be clutch here. Another score before halftime pwease

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye