PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot's in the mix for Brandon Flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strngplyr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider9m
More
Source says Patriots are also in the mix for Brandon Flowers. Ravens have maintained interest

That's one of the last things I expected to read.. If we're interested I think it may have something to do with Dennard not practicing yet due to shoulder surgery this offseason.

Eh, probably just driving up the price for other teams. No way they overpay for an undersized corner that doesn't fit their system.

If signing Flowers (annual, not perennial, I assume) means moving Logan to safety (or moving Flowers there) and getting rid of one more of the Chung/Wilson/Ebner trio, I'm all for it.

That being said, he's scheduled to meet with the Chargers tomorrow.

If the Pats are truly interested in Flowers, it would have to be as a potential move to safety. The guy sucked last year in man press coverage. Hence why he was dumped by the Chiefs. He is strictly a zone cover CB.

I can't see him playing outside for the Patriots. He would most likely be a safety and sub defense nickel or dime back.

Flowers and McCourty at safety would make the starting unit a top two unit in the NFL. I highly doubt there is very much interest there, though.

I don't have enough posts to start a new topic, but I wanted to ask a question...

What are the 4 marquee games this upcoming year? Broncos, Raiders, ______, and ________?

I'm trying to sell my seats at the office today, and I couldn't find the original email ;)

I don't have enough posts to start a new topic, but I wanted to ask a question...

What are the 4 marquee games this upcoming year? Broncos, Raiders, ______, and ________?

I'm trying to sell my seats at the office today, and I couldn't find the original email ;)

Sunday, Sept. 21 -Oakland Raiders 1:00
Thursday, Oct. 16 -New York Jets 8:25 PM
Sunday, Oct. 26 - Chicago Bears 1:00 PM
Sunday, Nov. 2 - Denver Broncos 4:25 PM

Just watch Jack Bauer. Ppl thought I was crazy that McCourty should be moved to fs to be elite. ego time...was right about wilhite, scheme change, Chandler Jones, drafting of Boyce, Dobson, Ryan, Easley, Finch udfa, etc...for an outsider im on same page as these coaches with the info at hand. I know, c, and can anticipate well. I study it weekly and these smart awss opinions r great but one day ud b wise to listen
Umm you want to cut a 25-year-old CB who has a 68.5 QB rating against in his first two season in the NFL to go along with 19 pass defended and 6 interceptions in 27 games (regular season and playoffs). You are not on the same page with any of the coaches I can assure you of that.

Flowers and McCourty at safety would make the starting unit a top two unit in the NFL.

That would probably be the smallest starting safety duo in the NFL, at least. (Flowers is all of 5'9" 187.)

Given the reported Pats interest, I can understand the speculation about a position shift -- small zone nickel CB hardly seems like a roster need. But I'm not sold on the safety projection, either.

Is it me or does it seem like the Pats are linked to every semi-big to big name FA, even before this season? Anyway, where would they put him? We already are not even sure what we're going to do with Ryan yet. I really want him on the field, as he's shown a knack for being around the football. Also, Dennard should be coming back and, though he gets banged up a lot and can't seem to stay out of trouble, I think he's better than Flowers. I don't know. I'm just rambling. I just don't think I'm too big on Flowers and would like to see that money go instead to Dustin Keller if things clear up with him health-wise.

Would more likely spell the end of Arrington on the roster. Good riddance in that case.

That would probably be the smallest starting safety duo in the NFL, at least. (Flowers is all of 5'9" 187.)

Given the reported Pats interest, I can understand the speculation about a position shift -- small zone nickel CB hardly seems like a roster need. But I'm not sold on the safety projection, either.

I'd expect the switch of Ryan to safety would be the more likely play. I also don't expect that Flowers is going to want to go to a team where he's absolutely competing for #3/#4/#5, because I think there will be teams willing to at least pencil him in as either their CB2 or CB3, free and clear, making it his job to lose, but it's worth at least discussing, since it's in the news during the down times.

In N.E., assuming last year is still the baseline, we've got

Revis - clear CB1
Browner/Dennard - Battle for Outside CB2
Dennard/Arrington - Battle for slot CB
Ryan - Outside CB4/possible safety switch candidate

I doubt Flowers would be given any "100%" type assurances above Ryan level, because he's coming off of a really down year, albeit an injury plagued one.

Is it me or does it seem like the Pats are linked to every semi-big to big name FA, even before this season? Anyway, where would they put him? We already are not even sure what we're going to do with Ryan yet. I really want him on the field, as he's shown a knack for being around the football. Also, Dennard should be coming back and, though he gets banged up a lot and can't seem to stay out of trouble, I think he's better than Flowers. I don't know. I'm just rambling. I just don't think I'm too big on Flowers and would like to see that money go instead to Dustin Keller if things clear up with him health-wise.
DT/DE/OLB/Legitimate SS (in name anyway) are more pressing needs than another CB.

Is it me or does it seem like the Pats are linked to every semi-big to big name FA, even before this season?

They should be...as should all 32 teams. When a good/big time player is free..your team should have talks about the person of interest..you have too or you're not doing your job

if there was so much confidence in Arrington and Dennard why do u think they picked up Browner and Revis? Dennard has played very solid for his frame but I promise u he has the weaknesses to get very exposed bc he lacks long speed, size, tight hips for breaking routes and slot cb. idk what arringtons deal is...Ive been rooting for him but he has disappointed me coverage wise. He has the strength n speed but doesn't seem play the go route well and wrs get too much separation on him with whip routes, outs, etc..Imo One, two, or 3 of Hawkins, Green, Jemea, Butler or Daxton seem like they have more potential athletically and special teams than Dennard. Dennard is strong, competitive, and experienced tho. I don't mind him as a 3/4/5 cb but I think we can upgrade and do betr.

if there was so much confidence in Arrington and Dennard why do u think they picked up Browner and Revis? Dennard has played very solid for his frame but I promise u he has the weaknesses to get very exposed bc he lacks long speed, size, tight hips for breaking routes and slot cb. idk what arringtons deal is...Ive been rooting for him but he has disappointed me coverage wise. He has the strength n speed but doesn't seem play the go route well and wrs get too much separation on him with whip routes, outs, etc..Imo One, two, or 3 of Hawkins, Green, Jemea, Butler or Daxton seem like they have more potential athletically and special teams than Dennard. Dennard is strong, competitive, and experienced tho. I don't mind him as a 3/4/5 cb but I think we can upgrade and do betr.

They picked up Revis to replace Talib and signed Browner to abuse receivers. Signing another good player isn't a vote of no confidence to another good player, the point of the offseason is to improve your team, they did that by adding good players.

imo its proof that Arrington or Dennard isn't the answer at outside cb. I think Bill is sick of being torched thru the air and he made it a priority to do his best to make sure that doesn't happen consistently again. Its not a coincidence Dennard almost went undrafted. Even with his arrest issue he lacks the athleticism. Arrington just hasn't put it all together which I hope he does bc I think he overall has the tools.

imo its proof that Arrington or Dennard isn't the answer at outside cb. I think Bill is sick of being torched thru the air and he made it a priority to do his best to make sure that doesn't happen consistently again. Its not a coincidence Dennard almost went undrafted. Even with his arrest issue he lacks the athleticism. Arrington just hasn't put it all together which I hope he does bc I think he overall has the tools.

He was projected as a 2nd round pick, It certainly IS a coincidence that he fell to the 7th after hitting a cop.

If he was going to be a 7th round draft pick anyways, and then punched a cop, he wouldn't be in the NFL at all, he'd be working at McDonalds, if even they would let him.

Adding good players isn't proof of anything other than the fact that BB wants to field a team of good players.

possible projected 2nd rd pick b4 the combine exposed his poor frame and not elite measureables. I agree he plays solid and nice for what he has to work with but....ie. Jalen saunders had arrest issues but is a better talent with greater athleticism... also Hernandez aka 3rd or 4th rounders I believe not 7th....lets choose kindness of bein right and ego. Eckhart tolle. im tryin to work on it. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes