PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots In the Lead of Peppers Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we could get Peppers for Adalius money, we'd be absolutely insane not to. Cut/trade Thomas in this uncapped offseason, sign Peppers, and you've upgraded your team immensely without changing your salary structure at all. It would never happen, because Peppers will demand much, much more money, but hypothetically that's the definition of a no-brainer. Are you actually against that, Patriotsfaninpa? I mean, I know we don't agree on much, but... wow.

And no, Peppers absolutely would not play DE for the Pats. For starters, the whole reason he wants to leave Carolina is because he wants to be a stand-up player (linebacker) in a 3-4 defense. And even that's leaving aside the fact that 2-gapping him on the d-line would just nullify most of his strengths anyways.

And on a side note, if the choice came down to Vince or Peppers, I'll take Peppers any day.

Last edited:
If we could get Peppers for Adalius money, we'd be absolutely insane not to. Cut/trade Thomas in this uncapped offseason

If the Patriots cut/trade Thomas this year, are they still on the hook for his signing bonus in 2011?

Last edited:
If the Patriots cut/trade Thomas this year, are they still on the hook for his signing bonus in 2011?

No. Bonus is all paid off cap-wise. Hes off the books in 2011 if hes jettisoned this year.

Last edited:
No. Bonus is all paid off cap-wise. Hes off the books in 2011 if hes jettisoned this year.

Then why the hell is he still here? Get rid of his whiney malcontent underachieving ass and use the money plus a little extra to sign Peppers.

Last edited:
Then why the hell is he still here? Get rid of his whiney malcontent underachieving ass and use the money plus a little extra to sign Peppers.

Gotta wait until the 2009 league year is finished. Thats why the 'Fins were kicked in the nuts over cutting Porter too soon. It's all accounting CBA crap...

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that watch the tape when NE plays a team like Indy. NE will rush 3 DL vs 5 OL because its a numbers mismatch in NEs favor dropping everyone else into coverage. Wherein the problem lies is that those 3 have to enventually get pressure. And, thats where Peppers comes in.

Peppers is used to be being double teamed as a DE and still he creates pressure.

Wouldnt it be counter productive to take your stud pass rusher and drop into coverage vs a TE? Manning and Rivers would be sending Belichick gift coupons to Mortons steak house if he used Peppers like that. One of the best pass rushers in the NFL is chasing 1 TE around the field. At this point, thats not his strength at all even if he can grasp the concepts of OLB in a 3 - 4.

How much coverage has Peppers played in the NFL? I'm not really convinced because he played basketball back in college that he can automatically pick up where he left off.

It makes the most sense to put Peppers in Seymours old spot and conduct business as usual for the time being. The transition could be almost seamless because Peppers doesnt have to learn an entirely new position.

When the Pats rush only three it is usually from a nickel or dime package which is not a 3-4 base. Also, Seymour lined up as a DT many times in this package with a Vrabel, Thomas, McGinest, or Colvin lining up as a DE with their hand on the ground.

Also, what does any of this have to do with Peppers' height?

As for dropping your best pass rusher into coverage, he wouldn't do it every play. They don't drop the OLB (or players who play OLB in the base 3-4) into coverage every passing play since in many passing plays there are only two players on the field. Dropping a pass rusher into coverage and delay rushing a safety or CB can cause confusion for the QB and the o-line causing breakdown in blocking and/or bad throws.

And BTW, Seymour's position is not the same as a 4-3 DE. His position was more of a hybrid of the DE and DT in a 4-3. Peppers isn't big enough to take on both the tackle and guard on the inside like Seymour. You really need to be north of 300lbs for that position. Peppers is used to rushing from outside the tackle and taking double and triple teams by tackles and TEs or RBs. In the 3-4 as a DE, he will see doulbe teams from the tackle and guards more because he lines up inside the tackle a lot. The OLB in the 3-4 fits Peppers' strengths far better than the the DE position. DTs from the 4-3 system usually are the ones who become DEs in the 3-4, not DEs from the 4-3. Below is the 3-4 alignment and the 4-3 alignment and you will see the DEs in each take on different parts of the line.

3-4 Defense
750px-34BaseDefense.svg.png

4-3 (actually a nickel, but I couldn't find a pure 4-3 image)
750px-NickelbackFB.svg.png

Last edited:
Then why the hell is [AD] still here? Get rid of his whiney malcontent underachieving ass and use the money plus a little extra to sign Peppers.

Gotta wait til after June 1.

It makes the most sense to put Peppers in Seymours old spot and conduct business as usual for the time being. The transition could be almost seamless because Peppers doesnt have to learn an entirely new position.

This ^. :agree:

Last edited:
Is it me or does this sound like a contradiction.

Will Peppers break the bank?

I mean isn't resigning Wilford the first priority. If so, Peppers should prepare to wait if he desires to play for New England.

But I think Peppers wants to play for a playoff contender, along with making a ton of money"

QUOTE=patsfan-1982;1731130]i can't see signing a 30 year old pass rusher who takes plays off. and asking him to play a new position. that he has never played befor. in a system that he will be asked to stop the run and cover just as much as he will be asked to rush the QB i see him as AD #2[/QUOTE]

This is most realistic viewpoint....could see him as AD part two....30 yr old..would hope they don't sign him...sign wilfork

If we get Peppers, why not just keep Adalius Thomas for the final year of his contract, sign or franchise Wilfork and have a real crack at Karlos Dansby depending on our salary considerations? Winning is a tonic that shuts even the most ardent of vocal fools up.

The front seven would look something like this

DE........Warren....Wilfork....Wright..........
LB Thomas.....Mayo.......Dansby.....Peppers

Pie in the sky I know, but I can dream.

Last edited:
If we get Peppers, why not just keep Adalius Thomas for the final year of his contract, sign or franchise Wilfork and have a real crack at Karlos Dansby depending on our salary considerations? Winning is a tonic that shuts even the most ardent of vocal fools up.

If Wright is starting, prepare to see the right side of our defense get run all over once again next season.

Not salary cap but Payroll for the pats have been around 100 million
every year so i see the same.

Now to run the above how confident are you that vince will not hold out.he can show up week 10 and get the year .Also, if he shows on week 1 i really question his game shape with no camp,no preseason .You throw a 40 million contract to peppers and 20 million to danby and then slap with a tag he will be pissed big and show up.Also last year he played hurt say good bye to that.

If Wright is starting, prepare to see the right side of our defense get run all over once again next season.
Between Wright and Green, something needs to be done about the RDE starting position. I was merely using who is already on the list without thought for upgrade at the position.

Not salary cap but Payroll for the pats have been around 100 million
every year so i see the same.

Now to run the above how confident are you that vince will not hold out.he can show up week 10 and get the year .Also, if he shows on week 1 i really question his game shape with no camp,no preseason .You throw a 40 million contract to peppers and 20 million to danby and then slap with a tag he will be pissed big and show up.Also last year he played hurt say good bye to that.
I have absolutely no confidence as it's a pie in the sky mentality as I already qualified.

Between Wright and Green, something needs to be done about the RDE starting position. I was merely using who is already on the list without thought for upgrade at the position.

Gotcha. 8910

4 picks in first 2 rd's ;)

Well, you don't always have to rush your best rushers. I don't think it is nonsensical to drop Peppers into coverage especially since he has a high amount of pass defenses and INTs for a DE. Some of the best defenses are ones where the QB doesn't know where the rush is on passing downs. If Peppers is rushing every play, that takes away some of the predictabilty. Heck when the Pats defense was at its best, it wasn't all that uncommon to see Seymour drop into coverage from time to time.

While I do agree that dropping Peppers back once in a while is a good way to keep offenses guessing, I just hope that if we do get him, we don't use him like the way we did Adalius.

Adalius coming in was known as an edge rusher. People got this crazy idea that he could play DB or all other positions because in one game (against Cincinnati), they lined him up across Chad Johnson. That was WAAAY overblown and happened because Baltimore's DBs all got injured in that one game and therefore was forced to use Adalius out there.

Adalius was misused here and we basically paid all that money for someone to cover TE's and RBs. I just hope that if we do get another high priced FA, we use that player for a role that they got good at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes