PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots In the Lead of Peppers Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - ESPN’s Tim Graham reported on Tuesday that the Patriots may be in the lead of landing Carolina Panthers defensive lineman Julius Peppers should Carolina not franchise him.Graham points out that in a chat with CBS’ Pat Kirwan he pointed out that New England is the team that’s shown the most interest, and that he may [...]

If we put a capable DE in front of him who isn't a liability against the run (which is not Jarvis Green), then he would be an excellent three down OLB. However, if we are unable to draft or make a move in free agency/trade for a capable DE, then the right side of our defense is still going to be a liability against the run. I will say, though, that our pass defense will be formidable with him in there. If we can pull the trigger on him AND Dansby, our LB corps will be set.

I still wonder if this team is going to sign these big time,big money Free Agents when they have to sign Wilfork and Brady to long term contracts soon,not to forget Bodden who is also looking for some money...I think the team wants to settle on long terms for both Vince and Tom BEFORE the season starts and that leaves little chance to get high priced players...even in an uncapped season

I personally think that if this team is going to sign someone that is noteworthy it would be a cost effective guy like Deion Branch or Jason Taylor

If we put a capable DE in front of him who isn't a liability against the run (which is not Jarvis Green), then he would be an excellent three down OLB. However, if we are unable to draft or make a move in free agency/trade for a capable DE, then the right side of our defense is still going to be a liability against the run. I will say, though, that our pass defense will be formidable with him in there. If we can pull the trigger on him AND Dansby, our LB corps will be set.

The chance of signing Dansby and Peppers along with satisfying contracts for the players CURRENTLY on this roster is about as much chance as you dating Ashanti

Last edited:
The chance of signing Dansby and Peppers along with satisfying contracts for the players CURRENTLY on this roster is about as much chance as you dating Ashanti

I don't think Wilfork is going to get his contract this year. IMO, it's pretty clear that he's going to be playing under the franchise tag.

I don't think Wilfork is going to get his contract this year. IMO, it's pretty clear that he's going to be playing under the franchise tag.

Sooner or later the team needs to start paying thier guys and not use the Franchise...This year would be a good start to show prospective FAs that the Patriots are not headaches to deal with when it comes to renewing contracts

Come on,think about it - If Wilfork gets tagged and gets pissed like the others in the past have,I think you would see big name players hesitate quite a bit before deciding to come and play or not to play for the Pats.

Its time to pay your boys who produce and Vince would be a start to it.

The Patriot way or the highway method DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE,time for a change...a financially reasonable one,but still time to change and start making your solid players happy to be here,yet stay away from any future cap problem....if there is one down the road.

Last edited:
I still wonder if this team is going to sign these big time,big money Free Agents when they have to sign Wilfork and Brady to long term contracts soon,not to forget Bodden who is also looking for some money...I think the team wants to settle on long terms for both Vince and Tom BEFORE the season starts and that leaves little chance to get high priced players...even in an uncapped season

I personally think that if this team is going to sign someone that is noteworthy it would be a cost effective guy like Deion Branch or Jason Taylor

The Pats have a lot of room cap wise and real dollar wise. They extend Brady and his cap number won't go that high anyway for this year since it is already $11.2 million. In real dollars, they have about $30 million to go before they even spend the lowest amount of payroll they have the last five years and about $60 million to go to match the highest level.

Then again, I think people are going to be surprised how small of a deal Peppers gets no matter who he signs with. He isn't going to get DeMarcus Ware money.

Sooner or later the team needs to start paying thier guys and not use the Franchise...This year would be a good start to show prospective FAs that the Patriots are not headaches to deal with when it comes to renewing contracts

Come on,think about it - If Wilfork gets tagged and gets pissed like the others in the past have,I think you would see big name players hesitate quite a bit before deciding to come and play or not to play for the Pats.

Its time to pay your boys who produce and Vince would be a start to it.

The Patriot way or the highway method DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE,time for a change...a financially reasonable one,but still time to change and start making your solid players happy to be here,yet stay away from any future cap problem....if there is one down the road.

I hope they pay Wilfork too. However, I'm just being realistic. The road of the offseason is taking us down a path where it appears as if Wilfork will be franchised. I can only hope that the contract talks heat up next season.

The Pats have a lot of room cap wise and real dollar wise. They extend Brady and his cap number won't go that high anyway for this year since it is already $11.2 million. In real dollars, they have about $30 million to go before they even spend the lowest amount of payroll they have the last five years and about $60 million to go to match the highest level.

Then again, I think people are going to be surprised how small of a deal Peppers gets no matter who he signs with. He isn't going to get DeMarcus Ware money.

At his age there is no way I would think the Pats would give him Adalius Thomas type money either.

I think that Pat Kirwin telling Tim Graham there has been interest in Peppers from the Patriots is a lot different than if was Peppers saying that...Kirwin was driving the Peppers to NE trade bandwaggon last summer that never left the barn. This is akin to him saying I still persist in believing I was right even if nothing came of it...

While this team seldom articulates it positon in public, I think they are doing exactly what the Steelers have publicly declared they are going to do...operate as if there is a cap this year and going forward. And also fully realizing there may be no football played in 2011. That makes it tough enough to sign your own impending elite FA and far less likely you sign someone else's or do a lot of one year frontloading that will just set the bar unrealistically high for all the guys on your own roster anxiously awaiting their turn at FA or that all important second contract.

At his age there is no way I would think the Pats would give him Adalius Thomas type money either.

Why? Thomas was the same age that Peppers is now when he signed his deal. Adalius Thomas money three years later isn't that overpriced. In fact, it might be considered an above average deal, but not top dollar.

Unlike Thomas, Peppers is an elite level player. Personally, even without I know now, if I had a choice to pay Thomas at his salary or Peppers at his salary, I would choose Peppers. Peppers has the ability to be that gameplan changing defensive player that requires a double or triple team and Thomas was never that guy. I loved the Thomas pick up when the Pats signed him because of his versatility, but I never thought he could be an elite player. I think Peppers could in this defense. I see that he could make the transition like McGinest did.

Last edited:
Why? Thomas was the same age that Peppers is now when he signed his deal. Adalius Thomas money three years later isn't that overpriced. In fact, it might be considered an above average deal, but not top dollar.

Unlike Thomas, Peppers is an elite level player. Personally, even without I know now, if I had a choice to pay Thomas at his salary or Peppers at his salary, I would choose Peppers. Peppers has the ability to be that gameplan changing defensive player that requires a double or triple team and Thomas was never that guy. I loved the Thomas pick up when the Pats signed him because of his versatility, but I never thought he could be an elite player. I think Peppers could in this defense. I see that he could make the transition like McGinest did.

I would say that back in 2007 that Adalius was looking as salivating of a player to have on your team as Peppers is now...Its easy to say that Peppers is much more of an athlete becasue we already know that Adalius was a bust here but go back 3 years ago and have these two guys up for sale and I think the prices for both would be pretty close to what teams would offer them - it would be neck and neck.

I would say that back in 2007 that Adalius was looking as salivating of a player to have on your team as Peppers is now...Its easy to say that Peppers is much more of an athlete becasue we already know that Adalius was a bust here but go back 3 years ago and have these two guys up for sale and I think the prices for both would be pretty close to what teams would offer them - it would be neck and neck.

I considered AD an elite player and despite last year, I am still glad that the Pats signed him. I will never fault the Pats for spending money on impact players that they think will make them superior.

I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest in getting Peppers.

Peppers has the ability to be the best or one of the three best pass rushers in the league. I don't know if the price for both in a normal year would have been the same. Thomas had only one year with double digit sacks (11 in 2006). Peppers has six including 25 in the last two years. Thomas had 13 forced fumbles coming to the Pats (0 his last year with the Ravens), Peppers has 30.

Thomas was never the player that Peppers is. What made him appealing to the Pats was his versatility. Without it, he was just another above average player. Peppers is an elite player when he is on and at a level that Thomas never reached.

I was estatic about the Thomas signing. But I was never under the illusion he was an elite player. I thought he was a very solid player who could do very well in the Pats' system because it does require versatility. I think Peppers is an elite player (at least a pass rusher), but I do have concerns about him making the transition to a 3-4 OLB, but he seems to have the skills to do it.

A lot of people forget that the Pats targeted Thomas not only because he could rush the passer, but also because he was capable of covering both RBs out of the backfield, and WRs on go routes (was capable of lining up at CB if needed because of his speed). He was ultra-versatile. That's what made BB and Co. go out and acquire him.

EDIT: Rob beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
I just think if they're afraid of 2011 being a no football year, you just "get by" in 2010. Not what I want, but maybe what a shrewd business-man wants.

On the other side, maybe you go all-out to grab a Lombardi in the same situation. Dunno.

Still, Peppers and Dansby... ugh. That would be nutty.

I think Peppers would stay at DE for the most part if NE landed him.

Hes 6' 7". That would be one tall OLB, IMO.

I think Peppers would stay at DE for the most part if NE landed him.

Hes 6' 7". That would be one tall OLB, IMO.

Would be a big waste of his talents at DE, IMO.

Would be a big waste of his talents at DE, IMO.

I mean to say 3-4 DE of course. Could be easily double-teamed and likely would be chipped off the line with the lack of passrush from the opposite side.

I just think if they're afraid of 2011 being a no football year, you just "get by" in 2010. Not what I want, but maybe what a shrewd business-man wants.

On the other side, maybe you go all-out to grab a Lombardi in the same situation. Dunno.

Still, Peppers and Dansby... ugh. That would be nutty.

I don't think the solution to being caution in a labor uncertainty is sitting it out. You get creative. You can offer attractive contracts to players that have roster bonuses tied to the 2011 season. That way you protect yourself in a work stoppage. I am sure that is how most teams will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots