Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Semi-useless thought of the day:

You don't make the big splashy moves others might, but you're an expert at sliding around just enough to open up opportunities. You never lock in on a single option but stay disciplined and go through your progression. Sometimes the best move is to toss it away and wait until next time.

All cuteness aside, this looks to me like a sliding around draft year. With Mangini & Co. picking at 25 with some major needs in common, neither team will be shy to move up a slot or two to secure, e.g., the last premium OLB prospect.

I can see the Pats trying to move up for a desirable first round selection, then again, considering how steep the learning curve is for DE to OLB, I can see them punting for field position in later rounds/drafts. Sigh, darned moving targets.

I don't think the Jets are any better or worse off in their player pool than the Pats and I'm not so sure there is a premium OLB conversion project likely to fall below the top 20 (Moss (FL), Adams (Clemson), and Anderson (Arkansas) read like the most athletic). Spencer and Woodley haven't swayed me, interested, but not swayed.

Nolan & Singletary apparently tested Moses (GA) and Pittman (LSU) after practice in LB drills...http://www.draftboardinsider.com/articles/2007sb_notes_0125south.html See last comment. I also will be taking a closer look at McDonald (FL) as I look at my Senior Bowl stash, he looks to be as athletic as Willie.

At this point, I'd still rather keep my eye on Bradley in hopes of developing him alongside Alexander and Mays inside, and take a flyer on DeOssie later on. I'm assuming the Pat's re-sign TBC giving them Vrabel, Colvin, TBC, and Woods for OLB duty - and Woods seemed to be ahead of TBC in his development thanks to Michigan's occasional morph to a 3-4. I'm also assuming Gardner will be brought back and will bulk up a little as he rehabs.

I can see the Pats trying to move up for a desirable first round selection, then again, considering how steep the learning curve is for DE to OLB, I can see them punting for field position in later rounds/drafts. Sigh, darned moving targets.

I don't think the Jets are any better or worse off in their player pool than the Pats and I'm not so sure there is a premium OLB conversion project likely to fall below the top 20 (Moss (FL), Adams (Clemson), and Anderson (Arkansas) read like the most athletic). Spencer and Woodley haven't swayed me, interested, but not swayed.

Nolan & Singletary apparently tested Moses (GA) and Pittman (LSU) after practice in LB drills...http://www.draftboardinsider.com/articles/2007sb_notes_0125south.html See last comment. I also will be taking a closer look at McDonald (FL) as I look at my Senior Bowl stash, he looks to be as athletic as Willie.

At this point, I'd still rather keep my eye on Bradley in hopes of developing him alongside Alexander and Mays inside, and take a flyer on DeOssie later on. I'm assuming the Pat's re-sign TBC giving them Vrabel, Colvin, TBC, and Woods for OLB duty - and Woods seemed to be ahead of TBC in his development thanks to Michigan's occasional morph to a 3-4. I'm also assuming Gardner will be brought back and will bulk up a little as he rehabs.

I'd rather have them bring Junior back for one year than to rely on Gardner. He didn't look that good in pre-season games.

I'd rather have them bring Junior back for one year than to rely on Gardner. He didn't look that good in pre-season games.
He didn't look that bad either, but I'm also hoping to see Seau back in the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes