PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots in serious talks with DL Kevin Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he was a poor player or a bad signing. I just pointed out that at the biggest moment of his career. He took himself out of the game. Many veterans played 15 years and never got that opportunity. Rodney Harrison played one play after breaking his arm in the Super Bowl against Carolina. Most players spend their whole career talking about the opportunity to win it all. K. Carter literally had the opportunity in his grasp(qb sack) and chose to take himself out of the game. He didn't make a bad play like Buckner. Or miss a long fg like Norwood. He opted to take himself out of the game. A big difference IMO.

Would you have a higher opinion of him if, finding himself winded and unable to contribute he stayed in the game to protect his ego, and your opinion of him? Thereby, of course, diminishing his teams chance of winning?

I didn't say he was a poor player or a bad signing. I just pointed out that at the biggest moment of his career. He took himself out of the game. Many veterans played 15 years and never got that opportunity. Rodney Harrison played one play after breaking his arm in the Super Bowl against Carolina. Most players spend their whole career talking about the opportunity to win it all. K. Carter literally had the opportunity in his grasp(qb sack) and chose to take himself out of the game. He didn't make a bad play like Buckner. Or miss a long fg like Norwood. He opted to take himself out of the game. A big difference IMO.
You said your vision of him is based on one moment in one game. My point was only that yeah, lots of people do that, as you can tell from my examples. Ask most anyone other than New Englanders about Paxton and they say, "Snow Angel." They don't care about his achievements. Only that he made a snow angel. That is the comparison I made to summing up Carter's career with one request to leave the game.

Do you even know why he asked to come out? Did you know the guy has played 14 years and never missed a game? He has played every game in 14 years. You cannot play every game for 14 years without playing hurt A LOT. If he needed to come out, maybe, just maybe, he had a reason.

Harrison tried to come out right away, but couldn't. He came out the next play. It was the smart thing to do. If Harrison tried stayed in the game for one play or a dozen with a broken arm, he wouldn't have shown anything but stupidity and a lack of understanding that the needs of the team come before his desire to finish the game personally. One missed tackle due to the inability to wrap up and the Pats are tied with the Steelers at two superbowls each this decade. Harrison did the right thing, and I'll give Carter the benefit of the doubt that he did also, based on his never missing a game. Perhaps in the superbowl Carter felt that he couldn't perform for whatever reason and believed the team would be better if his backup was on the field.

BTW, the Pats won without Harrison and the Rams won without Carter.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make too big a deal of this. It could very well be that BB is just making the contacts that he needs to make in case something bad happens and he needs a DLman on speed dial. From what I can see Kevin Carter wouldn't be a bad guy to have on speed dial, along with Willie, Junior, and whomever.

Also we have a number of DLman out right now. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a guy in here to take some reps. when you think on it we are pretty thin there now, and the guys out there are being worn down.

So again, bring him in, and if he looks like he can still play, you either keep him or put him on speed dial, and if he can't you have a guy who took some reps in camp when you needed a body.

Seems like Carter would be Ty Warren insurance, if the latter isn't ready for some action within the fortnight.
FWIW, Adam Caplan ranks Carter as currently the 3rd-best DE available:
Scout.com: Updated Best Available Free Agents-Defense

Would you have a higher opinion of him if, finding himself winded and unable to contribute he stayed in the game to protect his ego, and your opinion of him? Thereby, of course, diminishing his teams chance of winning?

Hadn't he just chased McNair all over the field on the previous play trying to tackle him????

Is he really going to provide more production than if they had converted Redd?

Carter is 6'6 and 300 lbs.. He'll be playing on the D-line. Redd is 6'5 and 260 lbs.. To convert Redd, he'd have to put on 35 lbs... I don't see that happening..

Carter is a better player.. Though, what does it say about Green, Wright, LeKevin Smith, and Brace that they are looking at Carter...

Last edited:
It doesn't say anything, DB. I read once where during training camp while others are trying to figure out who their 53 man roster is, BB and his staff is out there trying to figure out who their SEVENTY man roster is, the so called shadow roster.

I wouldn't read anything more into this proposed signing than what it is, a coach getting prepared for a long war of attrition. He's just marshalling his future army...especially his reserves.

Carter is 6'6 and 300 lbs.. He'll be playing on the D-line. Redd is 6'5 and 260 lbs.. To convert Redd, he'd have to put on 35 lbs... I don't see that happening..

Carter is a better player.. Though, what does it say about Green, Wright, LeKevin Smith, and Brace that they are looking at Carter...

Carter would be a good reserve on our 53 man roster. So far,

Pryor and Richard look headed for PUP, IR, or practice squad.

This would give the Pats a leg up on 2010 when Green, Seymour,

LeKevin Smith, and Wilfork may be leaving.

So, you would keep Carter over Wright who we just extended?

As it is, we have 7 DL's with three signed past this year: Warren, Wright and Brace.

Some think that we should keep only six DL's. Where's the roster room for Carter?

Carter would be a good reserve on our 53 man roster. So far,

Pryor and Richard look headed for PUP, IR, or practice squad.

This would give the Pats a leg up on 2010 when Green, Seymour,

LeKevin Smith, and Wilfork may be leaving.

As it is, we have 7 DL's with three signed past this year: Warren, Wright and Brace.

Some think that we should keep only six DL's. Where's the roster room for Carter?

He has a better chance of ending up here than some of the other guys on the 80man roster.

Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Brace are locks, IMO. Green, Smith and Carter would be competing for 2 or 3 spots.
I think its obvious that the answer to the question ;does he stand a decent chance of making the team' is yes, he should be signed. We arent cutting one of those 7 now to sign him, and last I checked we are walking wounded at that position. Yes its early but if ONE of them turns out to be severe, a spot is open.

The reason you see so many DL's on the roster is that the Pats will be playing a lot more 4-3 this year. They have to with the weak linebacker corps they have right now.

The reason you see so many DL's on the roster is that the Pats will be playing a lot more 4-3 this year. They have to with the weak linebacker corps they have right now.

Well, they've been doing it in camp but that's not a foolproof indication of what they'll be doing September through February. We shall see, but we can't say we know.

This guys to old we might as well sign willie back up at least he knows the defense.

Right now, Green, Seymour, Warren, LeKevin Smith, Pryor. and
Richard are banged up. I'm sure this is why the Patriots are
looking at Carter. Normally, I am not thrilled when the Patriots sign
a 35 year old player but Carter is a pretty good player who has never
been injured.

His being on the final roster would depend on Warren being
on Reserve/PUP to start the season. In this circumstance, Carter might
be a better alternative than LeKevin Smith. As you mentioned above,
Wright is sort of an untouchable since his contract runs until 2012.

I can see why we drafted 3 NTs. Hopefully, Richard and Warren will be back soon.

I certainly have no problem with signing Carter as insurance against Warren being on PUP. In the end, I am also fine with him beating out LeKevin.

Right now, Green, Seymour, Warren, LeKevin Smith, Pryor. and
Richard are banged up. I'm sure this is why the Patriots are
looking at Carter. Normally, I am not thrilled when the Patriots sign
a 35 year old player but Carter is a pretty good player who has never
been injured.

His being on the final roster would depend on Warren being
on Reserve/PUP to start the season. In this circumstance, Carter might
be a better alternative than LeKevin Smith. As you mentioned above,
Wright is sort of an untouchable since his contract runs until 2012.

I certainly have no problem with signing Carter as insurance against Warren being on PUP. In the end, I am also fine with him beating out LeKevin.

Or Jarvis Green.....because it was very unclear at the end of last year whether Smith or green were higher on the depth chart.

I can see why we drafted 3 NTs. Hopefully, Richard and Warren will be back soon.

I still can't. Prior is a bad fit for this defense; he's better-suited in a Tampa-style DLine.

If there is any issue with Warren starting the season, I want Carter to sign. Carter is needed to play the run. He is better than Green and Wright versus the run game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes