PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots in serious talks with DL Kevin Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just a question, not a totally idiotic one as you seem to make out considering Carter is unsigned t this point.

All due respect, it was pretty idiotic. He's 40 lbs too light, never played the position before, and would be a total shot in the dark. Its like suggesting Chung could bulk up and play OLb.

The rub is that Warren, Seymour, Pryor, LeKevin Smith, and

Richard are all banged up.

All due respect, it was pretty idiotic. He's 40 lbs too light, never played the position before, and would be a total shot in the dark. Its like suggesting Chung could bulk up and play OLb.

exactly and my apolgies for coming off as insulting.

Last edited:
It cannot be good news that we need veteran help at DE. It seems likely that at least one of our DE's will not be seen for awhile.

I wouldn't make too big a deal of this. It could very well be that BB is just making the contacts that he needs to make in case something bad happens and he needs a DLman on speed dial. From what I can see Kevin Carter wouldn't be a bad guy to have on speed dial, along with Willie, Junior, and whomever.

Also we have a number of DLman out right now. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a guy in here to take some reps. when you think on it we are pretty thin there now, and the guys out there are being worn down.

So again, bring him in, and if he looks like he can still play, you either keep him or put him on speed dial, and if he can't you have a guy who took some reps in camp when you needed a body.

Last edited:
exactly and my apolgies for coming as insulting.
Wildo thinks it's all about him today, he single handedly ruined the Political Board this afternoon; but that's another story I guess.

Carter's a character guy. I doubt he's more than an average 3-4 DL at this point, but you don't have to waste time teaching him the scheme. Presumably he helps fill in the void at LDE while Warren heals up. It's probably a better option than putting Brace, Green or even Wright there to start the season.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make too big a deal of this. It could very well be that BB is just making the contacts that he needs to make in case something bad happens and he needs a DLman on speed dial. From what I can see Kevin Carter wouldn't be a bad guy to have on speed dial, along with Willie, Junior, and whomever.

Also we have a number of DLman out right now. So it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a guy in here to take some reps. when you think on it we are pretty thin there now, and the guys out there are being worn down.

So again, bring him in, and if he looks like he can still play, you either keep him or put him on speed dial, and if he can't you have a guy who took some reps in camp when you needed a body.

Right. This would not be the first training camp where BB brings in several different vets, they play some games, he evaluates them, they're cut, and one or two join the Shadow Roster on speed dial. This is just one way BB uses training camp.

The rub is that Warren, Seymour, Pryor, LeKevin Smith, and

Richard are all banged up.

Grrr... can't be that we're going to endure another entire position of bad luck. Hopefully Carter is just a "let's see what's there" type situation, rather than a "we're going to need an extra body because a few of these guys are down for a while" type situation...

I hope Warren will be ready before that, and Seymour is who he is anymore.. D line is our strength, would rather see a pursuit of a OLB....

Looks like a year where we are gonna be lucky to get 10 sacks on opposing qbs.

Last edited:
exactly and my apolgies for coming off as insulting.

No worries, it was a dumb question, but I knew BF was just gunning for me.

He did play DE in a 3-4 before though so I wasn't wrong about that :cool:

"Hey Richard! Do you have a few minutes?"

"Sure. What's on your mind?"

"Well, are you ready for camp? How are you feeling?"

"Oh you bet I'm ready! I feel great! Never felt better. Fit as a fiddle!"

"That's terrific! The fans will love to hear that. Hey, umm, what's in the bag?"

"Oh that's my hamstring."

"Hmmm, it's a pretty big bag."

"Well it's pretty swollen and kinda detached as you can see. Don't tell anybody, alright? Tom said he knows how to fix these things now. I should be ready, err, sooner or later. But other than that, I feel awesome!!"

Looks like a year where we are gonna be lucky to get 10 sacks on opposing qbs.

Oohhhhh noooooo.... we're dooooommed! :blahblah: :rolleyes:

Relax and get over it- all teams have injuries, the good ones rise above it.

BB has spoken highly of this guy......so i guess he has some value for him

In December, 2003, Pro Football Weekly reported, "Patriots head coach Bill Belichick argued that DL Kevin Carter — who starts at the DLE spot and plays inside on passing downs — could be considered for league MVP." [6]

Scott Norwood missed a FG, Adam Vinatieri made one, Dwight Clark caught a pass in the end zone, and Nat Moore spun around like a helicopter when he was tackled.

Player evaluation is much easier when you use one TV highlight per player instead of fooling around with all that game tape... :D

I didn't say he was a poor player or a bad signing. I just pointed out that at the biggest moment of his career. He took himself out of the game. Many veterans played 15 years and never got that opportunity. Rodney Harrison played one play after breaking his arm in the Super Bowl against Carolina. Most players spend their whole career talking about the opportunity to win it all. K. Carter literally had the opportunity in his grasp(qb sack) and chose to take himself out of the game. He didn't make a bad play like Buckner. Or miss a long fg like Norwood. He opted to take himself out of the game. A big difference IMO.

I didn't say he was a poor player or a bad signing. I just pointed out that at the biggest moment of his career. He took himself out of the game. Many veterans played 15 years and never got that opportunity. Rodney Harrison played one play after breaking his arm in the Super Bowl against Carolina. Most players spend their whole career talking about the opportunity to win it all. K. Carter literally had the opportunity in his grasp(qb sack) and chose to take himself out of the game. He didn't make a bad play like Buckner. Or miss a long fg like Norwood. He opted to take himself out of the game. A big difference IMO.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're not a Scottie Pippen fan.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back