PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Impressive 13-Year Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concussion Protocol

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Most people would see this phrase and assume it has to do with the Brady era, but as someone who started following this team in the late 80s, it's surprising to look back to the stretch from 1976-1988 realize that they only had ONE losing season (1981). Of course 5 years is an eternity for a kid, so by the time 1994 came around, it felt to me like they had been bad forever, but that's not the reality at all. It's just such a myth that this team was "wandering in the wilderness" until Parcells arrived. They had 4 straight losing seasons up until that point, that's all. Whenever you older fans talk about the underrated Patriots teams/players of the past, you aren't just remembering fondly, you are remembering accurately.

8 losing seasons in the last 39. This franchise may have been owned by clowns and run by clowns, the old stadium was a joke, the attendance was poor, but the players could play. And win.

There's another team I randomly picked whose longest streak of winning seasons...

throughout their ENTIRE HISTORY...

is 3.

And by 'randomly picked', I mean 'randomly picked from our division who plays in New Jersey'. ;)

Love this thread. You should check out this article though, because it is more than about having winning seasons that makes the Brady/Belichick era so unique from anything this franchise has experienced

In the thirteen seasons with Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, the New England Patriotshave earned:

12 Division Titles

11 Divisional Playoff Rounds

9 Conference Title Games

6 Super Bowl Appearances

4 Super Bowl Titles

Over the past twelve seasons, including the Matt Cassel year, the Patriots have hit the 10-victory benchmark each time, the second longest 10-win streak in NFL history. There are six other teams with multiple-season streaks of 10+ victories and none of them have more than three in a row. New England is in the midst of a twelve-year streak.

The 83-98 San Francisco 49ers strung together 16 straight seasons of 10+ victories, spanning two Hall of Fame quarterbacks in Joe Montana and Steve Young. A strike-shortened 3-6 1982 season separates an additional Super Bowl victory 1981 season from that streak.

If we include those two seasons, for a total of eighteen, the 49ers earned the following accolades:

13 Division Titles

14 Divisional Playoff Rounds

10 Conference Title Games

5 Super Bowl Appearances

5 Super Bowl Titles

Since the Cassel year and the Strike Season both don't affect these playoff standings, it's a pretty straight forward comparison. New England has four seasons to earn one Division Title, reach three Divisional Playoff Rounds, get to one more Conference Title Game, and win one more Super Bowl to match the 49ers streak of success.

New England could already compare themselves to the lengthiest dynasty in football history, all while doing it with a salary cap.

The Patriots are also coming off a streak that the 49ers never achieved: four straight conference championship games. New England became the seventh team to reach four straight and the second to do it in the salary cap era. The first team to make four straight in the Super Bowl Era might be able to make a claim for one of the greatest dynasties in football history.

The Oakland Raiders reached four straight confernce title games from 1967 to 1970, including an appearance in 1967's Super Bowl II. After an 8-4-2 season in 1971 where they missed the playoffs and a 10-3-1 season in 1971 that resulted in a Divisional Round loss, the Raiders went to five straight conference title games from 1973 to 1977, including a Super Bowl victory in 1976.

To restate, the Raiders reached nine conference championships in eleven seasons.

Over that time span, the Dallas Cowboys reached four straight conference titles from 1970 to 1973, including a Super Bowl loss in 1970 and a Super Bowl victory in 1971. This could have been considered the most successful consecutive run until the 1992-1995 Cowboys reached four straight conference title games along with three Super Bowl victories.

Two of those Super Bowl victories came against the Buffalo Bills, who were in the midst of one of the most brutal stretches in sports history. The Bills didn't just reach four straight conference title games, they reached four straight Super Bowls from 1990 to 1993, losing all of them.

All three of these teams and all five of these streaks happened before or during the implementation of the salary cap.

The 2001-2004 Eagles were the first team in the salary cap era to reach four straight conference title games, losing the first three, before making it over the hump and losing to the Patriots in the 2004 Super Bowl.

The 2011-2014 Patriots have reached four straight conference title games and have collected a Super Bowl win and loss along the way. It's not as noteoworthy as their three Super Bowl titles in four seasons at the start of the era, but it's not far behind in degrees of difficulty.

If the Patriots can reach another conference title game in 2015, they will be the second team, and first since the 73-77 Raiders, to reach five straight. New England is already in the middle of the best run of the salary cap era; with another year at the top of the league, they could have a claim to the best run in the history of football.

Last edited:
But while we're on the topic of how Patriots players from the previous era are underrated, is there anyone in this forum who feels that Jim Plunkett should be inducted into a Hall of Fame? He is better known for winning two Super Bowls with the Raiders, but he played as starting quarter back for the Patriots for several years. I think Plunkett might've had the potential to bring greatness to the franchise, had he had a more functional system to work within.

Here's an obituary column for Chuck Fairbanks - one of the best coaches this franchise has ever had.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/ob...ts-fortunes/0KELi39nb9MOYgjoSsDyFN/story.html

In December 1976, a couple of weeks before The Sporting News named him coach of the year for guiding the New England Patriots into the playoffs, Chuck Fairbanks reflected on the challenges he had faced improving the fortunes of what had been a lackluster team.

“After I got here and looked over the situation I knew we had a long way to go,” he told the Globe. “It was even worse than I thought.”

Robert Kraft said in a statement.

“He delivered the franchise’s first 11-win season in 1976 and earned a home playoff game after winning the division in 1978,” Kraft said. “It was the first time in franchise history that we hosted a playoff game. He introduced the 3-4 defense to the NFL during his Patriots tenure, which remains a part of his NFL legacy.”

By the end of his tenure, Mr. Fairbanks had also provided the Patriots and the team’s fans with ample off-field drama. As news broke in December 1978 that he had accepted the Colorado coaching job, Billy Sullivan, who then owned the Patriots, suspended Mr. Fairbanks for the last game of the season, saying he “could not serve two masters 2,000 miles apart.”

Mr. Fairbanks made his final New England coaching appearance as the team lost in the playoffs to Houston, but the Patriots and the University of Colorado continued a tug-of-war over his future that played out for months in and out of the courts. At one point, the university suggested it was prepared to go to the US Supreme Court to bring him to Boulder. A Colorado booster organization eventually paid a lump sum to the Patriots to help end the battle.

“I don’t think any of you can know how really pleased I am to be here,” Mr. Fairbanks said in April 1979 during a Denver news conference after the situation was resolved.

Born in Detroit, Charles Leo Fairbanks graduated in 1955 from Michigan State University, where he played football, and took his first coaching job that fall at Ishpeming High School in Michigan.

Three years later he entered the college ranks as an assistant coach at Arizona State, spending four years there followed by another four years as an assistant at the University of Houston.

Mr. Fairbanks moved to the University of Oklahoma in 1966 as an assistant coach, only to be promoted to the top job after head coach Jim Mackenzie, only 37, died of a heart attack in April 1967.

Though he coached the Oklahoma Sooners to three titles during the next six seasons in what was then known as the Big Eight Conference, Mr. Fairbanks missed securing a national title.

The anger of Oklahoma fans at his departure after the 1972 season to take the Patriots job foreshadowed what lay ahead when he left New England behind in 1979. NCAA rules violations during his tenure kept Oklahoma ineligible for bowl games for two years after Mr. Fairbanks left.

However, in Oklahoma, as with the Patriots, Mr. Fairbanks had a sharp eye for coaching assistants. His assistant Barry Switzer pushed Mr. Fairbanks to use a wishbone offense that helped turn Oklahoma into a powerhouse, and Switzer led the Sooners to national titles after succeeding Mr. Fairbanks.

Among those who served Mr. Fairbanks on New England’s coaching staff was Ron Erhardt, who succeeded him as coach. Red Miller, the offensive line coach, went on to coach the Denver Broncos, and Ray Perkins, the receivers coach, later was head coach of the New York Giants.

The players Mr. Fairbanks brought to the Patriots include John Hannah, Mike Haynes, Steve Grogan, Sam Cunningham, and Darryl Stingley.

In Colorado, Mr. Fairbanks met with little success, compiling a 7-26 record over three seasons. He left in 1982 to coach the New Jersey Generals. The Generals, part of the short-lived United States Football League, posted a 6-12 record in 1983 with Mr. Fairbanks as coach.

Mr. Fairbanks then left football to become a real estate developer in Arizona and California.

Information about a service for Mr. Fairbanks and his survivors was not immediately available.

In 1985, Mr. Fairbanks met with Globe columnist Will McDonough in LaQuinta, Calif., where his football career and the Patriots seemed more than a continent away. By then, Mr. Fairbanks was a vice president at a large development company, and the allure of coaching was fading fast.

“Once in a while, the urge comes back,” Mr. Fairbanks told McDonough. “Like when I’m watching a football game that’s really something, I feel myself getting excited again. But not that excited.”

But while we're on the topic of how Patriots players from the previous era are underrated, is there anyone in this forum who feels that Jim Plunkett should be inducted into a Hall of Fame? He is better known for winning two Super Bowls with the Raiders, but he played as starting quarter back for the Patriots for several years. I think Plunkett might've had the potential to bring greatness to the franchise, had he had a more functional system to work within.

I doubt it (that there's anyone in this forum that thinks Jim Plunkett should be in the Hall of Fame). But as a wise man once said (P T Barnum)...

I see it somewhat different, I switched from my Cleveland Browns loyalties around 1970.. while there were some bright spots, there seemed to have been a lot more lows.. particularly in the early 90's..

I always tell the story of how in the 80's when NFL really started marketing, would look forward to the JC Penney and Sears Christmas Catalog to see if they had any Pats Mdse. They didn't, instead Dallas, SF, Chicago, Detroit, Giants, Jets and Dolphins all made the grade. The first Pats Gear I ever owned was a cheap "Squish the Fish" T-shirt, in 1985... I used to meet the plane at Greene Airport when they were on that fantastic run...

In the 90's used to go to work on Sunday's and the Jets fans would be wearing their "puke green" jackets or the Miami jackets, we were blacked out consistently and was reduced to the dulcid tones of Gil and Gino..

Say what you will, but as a long time fan the past was not all that rosy.. there were some good players, but nothing, absolutely nothing compares to this run.. enjoy this ride.

Most people would see this phrase and assume it has to do with the Brady era, but as someone who started following this team in the late 80s, it's surprising to look back to the stretch from 1976-1988 realize that they only had ONE losing season (1981). Of course 5 years is an eternity for a kid, so by the time 1994 came around, it felt to me like they had been bad forever, but that's not the reality at all. It's just such a myth that this team was "wandering in the wilderness" until Parcells arrived. They had 4 straight losing seasons up until that point, that's all. Whenever you older fans talk about the underrated Patriots teams/players of the past, you aren't just remembering fondly, you are remembering accurately.

8 losing seasons in the last 39. This franchise may have been owned by clowns and run by clowns, the old stadium was a joke, the attendance was poor, but the players could play. And win.

In the past we were kind of like the Buffalo Bills right now. We had some talent, a devoted fan base by lacked a QB. We had some great characters and players, Tippet was amazing, Fryar was a lot of fun, Tatupu as our goal line back was a fan favorite. When we got Drew Bledsoe things changed for us we felt that we could compete with the big boys. Drew is loved by us, not because he was a great QB (he was overall good and at times very good/great), but because he gave us hope and a fighting chance to beat anyone. BB and TB made us the greatest football franchise of all time, but we always need to remember the players of the past who were great, but never had BB and TB.

bucko kilroy had a knack for putting together insanely athletic rosters......alot of the players weren't necessarily that good, but man, they could wrangle with any team

bucko kilroy had a knack for putting together insanely athletic rosters......alot of the players weren't necessarily that good, but man, they could wrangle with any team
I remember when Kilroy was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back