PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots host FA's DE Erasmus James and CB Brian Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

The Patriots tried out free agent DE Erasmus James and CB Brian Kelly this week.

Neither was signed, but this is interesting because the Pats were likely looking at James as a 3-4 OLB. At this stage of his career, he's in desperate need of some kind of change. James is 6'4/260, so he'd fit well at that position if he has any explosion left. Kelly was recently cut by the Lions.

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Last edited:
Re: Patriots hosted FA's DE Erasmus James and CB Brian Kelly

Can't imagine either of these guys adding much at this point in time given lack of familiarity with the Pats D. Erasmus would be learning 3-4 OLB, that seems like a project.

And Kelly, isn't he a Tampa 2 DB?

Both are interesting guys to be looking at. I would guess Kelly is being looked at for the present, and James for next season.

I LOVED James in that draft, but he didn't look good at Minne even before his injuries. Maybe a switch to OLB is worth a look.

Brian Kelly was, imo, by far the better of the two Tampa corners during their heyday, but he really didn't look like he had anything left even before this year. Maybe an experienced head for playoff-type games.

Both are interesting guys to be looking at. I would guess Kelly is being looked at for the present, and James for next season.

I LOVED James in that draft, but he didn't look good at Minne even before his injuries. Maybe a switch to OLB is worth a look.

Brian Kelly was, imo, by far the better of the two Tampa corners during their heyday, but he really didn't look like he had anything left even before this year. Maybe an experienced head for playoff-type games.

BB is likely looking at DEPTH as opposed to finding a 'starter'. So the issues become what's left in the tank, and can they learn quickly enuf to become situational playiz?

Slow injured DE do not become OLB who are DE with tremendous explosion and speed.They might be doing some ground work if Wright does not sign next year.
Please BB No more ex lion CB

Last edited:

You think Kelly was better than Rhonde Barber? That is surprising.

I almost forgot, give us your weak, give us your poor... the Pats are like Ellis Island.

Last edited:
If the FO signs Kelly, it can waive/re-sign to PS either Richardson or the less-than-useless Slater.

You think Kelly was better than Rhonde Barber? That is surprising.

I almost forgot, give us your weak, give us your poor... the Pats are like Ellis Island.

Give us your weak, your poor, your stranded Dolphins and disgruntled Raiders yearning to be free. . . . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back