PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have spoken to representatives DT Sam Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially a good depth signing - and it follows the mold of signing veteran guys who don't have a ring, but desperately want one. I don't know if I should be concerned about the lack of developmental time for a LeKevin or a Kareem, etc. You can only hide these guys on the PS for so long.

If I'm not mistaken, Sam Adams was the big body next to Tony Siragusa that allowed Ray Lewis to be the best linebacker in the world for the Ravens for a number of years, including their Super Bowl season of 2000-1.

He also played for the Raiders when they were Super Bowl runners-up in 2002-3, then moved to the Bills, and then the Bengals.

I'd take him if he has anything left in the tank. Sometimes he's a great player with uncanny speed for his size (with the Bills in the 2003 opener :(), other times he's fat, unathletic, and can't move (like the Raiders Super Bowl).

Last edited:
I wonder if he has anything left.

He was pretty much a non factor last year.

And were he to be signed I doubt it would mean Wright would be out. He has worked his way up the depth chart and is a solid contributor, and is very versatile. Plus he is a special teams ace. It's not everyday thay you find guys his size who can still move as fast as he does. Le Kevin Smith would probably be the odd man out. Poor Keegs.

Last edited:

As was all of the Cincinnati defense. I like him for a back up to Vince, a series here or there. Wright can still play some de/nt as necessary.

Would be a great signing........

For -- goal line / short yardage plugger.

For -- Back up, to give VW a few blows.

For - quality depth in case of injury.

For - high character and hunger for a ring.

And were he to be signed I doubt it would mean Wright would be out. He has worked his way up the depth chart and is a solid contributor, and is very versatile. Plus he is a special teams ace. It's not everyday thay you find guys his size who can still move as fast as he does. Le Kevin Smith would probably be the odd man out. Poor Keegs.
Was Keegs banned over his LeKevin Smith fan club? I was sure it would catch up to him some day. Too bad, I was looking forward to his hitting the post count milestones he made famous in his inimitable fashion.

Was Keegs banned over his LeKevin Smith fan club? I was sure it would catch up to him some day. Too bad, I was looking forward to his hitting the post count milestones he made famous in his inimitable fashion.

I have no idea why Keegs was blocked from posting on this forum. I hope that he is allowed back. He was both fun and irritating at times but I did not see anything that he did that warrented banning/blocking.

Anyway, back on subject. If Big Sam can be signed for the vet min, he could be an idea backup in our 3-4. It would be nice to see him win a ring as a "legacy" player.

Julius wore number 85. He was a beast!
Sam Adams' father is Sam Adams, OG. They are Jr and Sr.

Julius Adams' NFL son is Keith Adams, currently playing LB for the cowboys.

Keith is actually a UFA who was last on the Dolphins and Eagles.

As people have said, I like him as a depth signing. Right now if Wilfork goes down we don't really have anyone who can step in and really fill his role of huge guy in the middle.

I don't think Wright will be affected by this, as he seems much more suited to playing DE. He's also fast enough that he makes a good contribution on special teams which should not be over looked.

I expect LeKevin Smith to make a case for himself as Vince's #2. He came from a gap control defense and has the relative build/strength to get under the OC/OG. Big Sam would be a nice veteran, camp fodder pick-up to create depth at NT (especially if Vince was to go down), he would platoon well with LeSchmit and Wright the way Keith Traylor did with Vince.

Yeah...we covered that. Didn't know Julius's son played too.

Last edited:
Keith is actually a UFA who was last on the Dolphins and Eagles.
Are you sure he's a FA? I didn't see the "Keith Adams has been released should we sign him" thread.

Or, since I'm as old as Julius, maybe my mind is a little behind times.

Are you sure he's a FA? I didn't see the "Keith Adams has been released should we sign him" thread.

sam adams is the son of former pat gaurd sam adams kieth is the son of former pats de julius adams

Yep. Ended the season with the Dolphins, has yet to be signed.

Sam would make a real good NT backup and be good in goal line type situations. The only drawback with him and Chad Brown would be it means a young guy(or two) probably won't make the roster or PS for the future.

Sam Adams on the 53, and Smith on the Practice Squad is just fine. We would have a stronger DL.

Starters: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
Backups: Green, Adams, Wright
Developmental: Brown (could be inactive all year)
Practice Squad: Smith and Thomas
--------------------------------------------------

A veteran linebacker would likely send Lua and Mays to the Practice Squad. Again we would have a stronger LB corps with the addition.

I would add that the signing of a running back (Chris Brown anyone) would likely move Mills to the Practice Squad. And, we would have a stronger offense.
---------------------------------------------------

Sam Adams on the 53, and Smith on the Practice Squad is just fine. We would have a stronger DL.

Starters: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren
Backups: Green, Adams, Wright
Developmental: Brown (could be inactive all year)
Practice Squad: Smith and Thomas

A veteran linebacker would likely send Lua and Mays to the Practice Squad. Again we would have a stronger LB corps with the addition.

I would add that the signing of a running back (Chris Brown anyone) would likely move Mills to the Practice Squad. And, we would have a stronger offense.
---------------------------------------------------
why would Mays go to PS? He was 1 of our best ST players.
Mills to PS? He would get taken away quickly.

I agree that the DL would be stronger with Smith on the PS and Adams on the 53. It also could strengthen the DL for the future, giving Smith another year to learn. Who better to learn from than Adams and Wilfork?

However, Mills on the PS would not last. I read an article last week (Banks?) that cited trends in the league and one was the use of h-back type of players and Mills is just that. He'd get snatched up by someone.

Count me in the camp of sign Adams, sign Chris Brown, and get the rooks in so we can get this super season under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back