PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have spoken to representatives DT Sam Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...007/06/03/safety_is_in_a_comfort_zone/?page=3

A Sam Adams on tap for Patriots?

A Sam Adams in Boston seems like a natural fit, and the Patriots have apparently considered the possibility, as the team and representatives for free agent defensive lineman Sam Adams have talked in recent weeks.

How serious those discussions become remains to be seen, but the 6-foot-3-inch, 350-pound Adams -- who enters his 14th NFL season -- has been lauded by coach Bill Belichick.

Adams was cut by the Bengals after one unproductive season, but that hasn't stopped the Rams and Texans from visiting with him in the past two weeks. The Broncos are also considering the possibility of signing Adams, a mammoth run-stuffer who recently had surgery to clean up his knee.

As for where Adams would fit with the Patriots, he'd likely be a backup at nose tackle behind Vince Wilfork. He could also provide a sturdy 1-2 interior punch with Wilfork in 4-3 alignments, specifically in short-yardage situations.

The Patriots' top defensive linemen are Wilfork, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green, and Mike Wright. They also have second-year player Le Kevin Smith and rookie fourth-round pick Kareem Brown coming up the ranks, but with the death of Marquise Hill, the team might have more of a need for Adams.

This might be something to keep an eye on.

VERY interesting...I would not think its a bad move for the right money...would really make the DL solid.. and he would only be used here and there..saving WIlfork a bit so he doesn't get pounded down..

I still remember that TD he scored on us in 2003. Ugh.

VERY interesting...I would not think its a bad move for the right money...would really make the DL solid.. and he would only be used here and there..saving WIlfork a bit so he doesn't get pounded down..

If he's healthy, it's a win-win. The Pats get depth behind Wilfork keping that big run stopper in the middle even if Vince is on the bench catching a breather and Adams gets a chance for a ring.....I wonder what number his dad wore when he was with the Pats in the 70's.........

Adams would be a solid backup to wilfork or possible replacement especially with the passing of Hill. The only fear is that Adams will eat everything in foxboro

Good one year move if you can get it done.

I had a feeling they would look at him.

would be a good depth signing...:rolleyes:

Have a brewski, and make it a Sam Adams.

Seriously, he would make money on ads. And yes, #2 NT is a serious need. As has been stated, the backup NT also comes in to give Wilfork a breather for a series or two (or for a game or two) and could be used in short yardage situations.

Potentially a good depth signing - and it follows the mold of signing veteran guys who don't have a ring, but desperately want one. I don't know if I should be concerned about the lack of developmental time for a LeKevin or a Kareem, etc. You can only hide these guys on the PS for so long.

I've wanted a legit backup NT for a while, and probably would have drafted Alan Branch at #28. This would be a good solution for a year.

i like it but article mentions it could be bad news for Wright .. meaning possibly cut

i still think Wright would stay on roster. He plays DE and NT and works hard and hes done well at times. could be bad news for Smith :\

i like it but article mentions it could be bad news for Wright .. meaning possibly cut

i still think Wright would stay on roster. He plays DE and NT and works hard and hes done well at times. could be bad news for Smith :\
LeKevin Smith is the one who it could be bad news for. Kareem Brown will replace Hill on the roster. Wright will be the same as he's been, a backup DE and NT. LeKevin would have a good chance to be replaced by Adams.

Really? I read the article twice, didn't see any indication at all of "bad news for Wright." In fact, the only mention of him I see is a positive:

"The Patriots' top defensive linemen are Wilfork, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green, and Mike Wright."

Really? I read the article twice, didn't see any indication at all of "bad news for Wright." In fact, the only mention of him I see is a positive:

"The Patriots' top defensive linemen are Wilfork, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green, and Mike Wright."

my bad..its from rotoworld about the article

The Patriots have had talks with representatives for free agent Sam Adams.
Bill Belichick is a fan of the 342-pound Adams, who could help back up Vince Wilfork on the nose. An Adams signing might be bad news for Mike Wright.

I thought Sam Adams Sr. was his dad, not Julius.........

You're right. Sam Adams played in the same era as Julius Adams, but Sam is the father of the DT the Pats are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots