PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have "preliminary" interest in Arian Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST is the core role for players like Bolden. He is as much emergency depth for RBs as Slater is for WRs. And there is nothing wrong with that.
That's oranges and grapefruits. Slater is #6 and only sees the field when every three years the Pats for some reason think it's a good idea for him to run straight and have Brady chuck it.

Bolden is ostensibly the second string backup to Blount. A 30yo RB coming off injury. Call me crazy to think a real NFL RB should hold that role.

If they keep him they should also carry a real backup RB as well.

That's oranges and grapefruits. Slater is #6 and only sees the field when every three years the Pats for some reason think it's a good idea for him to run straight and have Brady chuck it.

Bolden is ostensibly the second string backup to Blount. A 30yo RB coming off injury. Call me crazy to think a real NFL RB should hold that role.

If they keep him they should also carry a real backup RB as well.
As 2+ WRs are on the field much more often than 2 RBs having a STs only RB as 3rd or 4th on depth chart isn't that far fetched to compare to a STs only 6th WR.

I think a better argument would be how many STs only players can you carry? Combine that with carrying 3 QBs and having to possibly choose between a FB and a 4th TE or maybe keeping both and there is a lot less space on the back-end of the roster/role players.

Does Foster have anything left in the tank? He was a great RB in his prime. But he's coming off a really bad season and is turning 30 this year? I'm not against giving him a shot, but I'm honestly not sure how much he has left to give.

ST is the core role for players like Bolden. He is as much emergency depth for RBs as Slater is for WRs. And there is nothing wrong with that.

You underrate Bolden as a RB.

He isn't what you want as your lead back, but he is a serviceable RB who can help you when pressed into service, both as a runner and receiver
Slater can run fly routes, and may actually catch one on occasion, but the only reason he should be in there is when everyone else is unavailable, or the situation says a long pass attempt is called for.

Here is a Bolden RB highlight from just last year.

As 2+ WRs are on the field much more often than 2 RBs having a STs only RB as 3rd or 4th on depth chart isn't that far fetched to compare to a STs only 6th WR.

I think a better argument would be how many STs only players can you carry? Combine that with carrying 3 QBs and having to possibly choose between a FB and a 4th TE or maybe keeping both and there is a lot less space on the back-end of the roster/role players.
You bring up a good point. The three QBs will be rough. My guess is come week 5 Brisett tweaks a hammy in practice that won't fully heal and is placed in IR by week 7 ;)

He isn't what you want as your lead back, but he is a serviceable RB who can help you when pressed into service, both as a runner and receiver
Slater can run fly routes, and may actually catch one on occasion, but the only reason he should be in there is when everyone else is unavailable, or the situation says a long pass attempt is called for.

Bolden is a below average runner. Clearly a serviceable ball catcher but not one who will make plays consistently.

Slater can run fly routes but can't create space or catch the ball.

Last edited:

I used to share your same feelings regarding his backup RB capacity, but it was rather apparent down the stretch last year that no one saw him as a viable option.

Bolden had 63 carries last year, and 200+ for his career. He has 44 receptions. He is an emergency fill-in RB. Slater has 1 reception in his career. He is strictly a one dimensional ST player.

Bolden had 63 carries last year, and 200+ for his career. He has 44 receptions. He is an emergency fill-in RB. Slater has 1 reception in his career. He is strictly a one dimensional ST player.
Slater has had a few more targets but you are right, he's a wide receiver in name only; Brandon Bolden does have a 100 yards rushing game to his credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back