PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have filed an amicus brief in support of Brady/NFLPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this is more than just some symbolic gesture to win back fans. The Pats are taking shots at the top members of the NFL in an official court document. Kraft pissed off a lot of people who can hurt him again.

Man, I don't know how you read the brief and not see that the Patriots are throwing some serious shade on Goodell. That they likely worked in conjunction with Brady's legal team and just go 'yawn', but that's your business. It's good when people admit to no longer being rational on a topic.
It might be a big deal if anyone that counted was actually going to read it. I doubt anyone will, and I also believe the timing was orchestrated to insure that. Don't appeal the team discipline at all. Don't show up for Brady's appeal hearing. Don't provide any filings at either of the previous court proceedings.

Now that there's the slimmest of chances that Brady will even get a rehearing, and even slimmer chances of winning, now we'll file this brief that no one is even required to read. It looks good for the fans, and how mad can Goodell and the 31 get when they threw their 2 cents onto the pile in a doomed effort? It's win/win for Kraft, big loss for Brady.

Just read PFTs Cliffs Notes version.

Pleasantly shocked that the Pats did this.

Damn shame it's a year too late.

IMO, this is more than just some symbolic gesture to win back fans. The Pats are taking shots at the top members of the NFL in an official court document. Kraft pissed off a lot of people who can hurt him again.

Yeah, I really don't get the people who are hand waving this away as an empty gesture.

Say what you want about how the Patriots organization has handled this to date (I'm tired of that argument) this is a real and meaningful shot over Goodie's bow that he likely won't forget.

That's my reaction. This was deep.

Bob bashed Goody formally, directly, legally and publicly.

Something must have happened at that owners meeting.

Maybe some of the owners are in Bobs corner now and want Goody gone?

Rename thread: May-June Kraft Love thread, since that's what it's going to be.

I think Kraft had this prepared and presented it at the NFL meetings and gave them the option of squashing the suspension or else. The rest of the owners chose "or else".

Yeah, I really don't get the people who are hand waving this away as an empty gesture.

Say what you want about how the Patriots organization has handled this to date (I'm tired of that argument) this is a real and meaningful shot over Goodie's bow that he likely won't forget.
I admit I'm surprised he went this far. However, it's not going to do Brady any good when he's sitting at home in September.

I admit I'm surprised he went this far. However, it's not going to do Brady any good when he's sitting at home in September.

Honest question - what more do you think the Patriots could have done to help Brady?

Is there actual arbitration law that Goodell must abide by when he arbitrates?
Yes, there are laws regarding the fundamental fairness of arbitrators

The only event which might satisfy the Kraft haters around here would be if Kraft shot Goodell dead between the eyeballs at midfield during a coin toss. And then they'd ***** because he didn't hit a more vital organ. This entire thread is a waste of time and energy. With that said, this gesture is negatively significant in terms of Kraft's relationship with The Dope (Goodell) and his Coterie of Stooges (the other owners), but it would have been much more meaningful if it came a year ago in any form it could have at that time.

Ill answer
Not having a press conference where you give your support to Goodell the other 31 and say you are not fighting this.
That might help
I will say this does paint Kraft more favorable to me at least.
However definitely would of been much more effective a year ago.

I wonder if this is more an FU to a circle of owners more than Goodell. I have no idea how this will be received by the courts but it is a very loud statement to the NFLPA that something unfair is going on. The NFLPA can use this in the next CBA negotiation in which some of the lower income teams might be extremely hurt if they have to conceded money to the players in order to avoid strike. The richer owners of which Kraft is one don't get hurt as much by shifting money in CBA negotiations.

I still think the Patriots are sitting on the nuclear option...a whole bunch of emails from the league that completely blow up Deflategate.

We shall see if this is just the first shot.

Just to defend Kraft vs those who think it's too late which it might be but this was something he wouldn't have considered until he exhausted all back door negotiating possible. Now that point may have still been last July or he could have been trying all year and finally just said F it.

Tomorrow is the first media access at OTAs. With reporters gathered for that, will we get another surprise Kraft statement? If he was willing to put the team name on this brief, then I have to assume he has some additional things to say that are relevant more toward the league and public than the court.

Honest question - what more do you think the Patriots could have done to help Brady?
1) Use their own appeal of the team punishment.
2) Apply pressure in every possible way, both public and private, from the moment the punishments were announced until they were rescinded or the team was taken away. That means holding up meetings, quitting committees in dramatic fashion, public denouncements of Goodell and every complicit member of the FO at every opportunity. Outing of owners who are backing the punishments despite knowing the charges are BS. Denial of hugs and handshakes. Threats to expose every damaging secret he knows about the inner workings of the league. Everything.
3) Attend Brady's appeal to Goodell.
3a) Not try to pass the blame on to the lawyers!
4) Since this amicus is such a strong statement for you, how about filing one for the first court case? How about the first appeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back