Patriots Hall of Fame won't just be on paper anymore - Curran

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060604_04pats.8237d43.html

Curran goes into the musuem being built (in the future) and how guys should be honored (jersey retired vs. being in Pats HOF).

Closes out the article with this:
"Between deciding what to do about those already retired numbers and figuring out who ought to be in, fans could kill a few hours flapping gums on this topic.
And to think, five years ago, it would have been a challenge to talk this talk for five minutes. Does Mo Lewis deserve to get in?":D

The Krafts hit paydirt again with this idea IMO. Fans really want something like this (another excuse just to head to Foxboro in the offseason) plus it'll add to the $ stream, of course Dan Brown in Cincy will be happy, he'll get more blood from the Pats.

Last edited:
I agree, always thought Darryl Stingley should be a consideration for this honor...

GJAJ15 said:
I agree, always thought Darryl Stingley should be a consideration for this honor...
All great!! I agree!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, they'll assign someone #78 as soon as possible.

PatsRI said:
of course Dan Brown in Cincy will be happy, he'll get more blood from the Pats.

Mike Brown you mean?

I don't think Dan Brown needs anything from the Pats. The Da Vinci Code should be providing enough for Dan.

Last edited:
I'm really pleased that they are doing this and I think it's a great idea to have fans involved. This is what GREAT ownership does. I don't care about retiring the numbers though. It does create issues but a place to honor the Pats, past and present, is a wonderful idea.

I agree, Darryl Stingley should be in. Of course my first QB love, Steve Grogan would need to be in, and I'd like to see Leon Gray added since I really don't think Hannah would have been as good as he was if Gray hadn't been beside him. Bruce Armstrong, Sam Bam, Tippett, Mosi, The entire 2001 team.

They need to do one of those "ring of honor" things around the stadium.

Jacky Roberts said:
They need to do one of those "ring of honor" things around the stadium.

Wow, now that's an original idea.

I would like to see them have both a HOF (more stringently limited and whose #'s are also retired only if and when that player is elected to the NFL HOF), and a more expansive Ring of Honor.

Honoring my namesake would be tough in the event his victim is eventually enshrined in the ring of honor. ;)

The numbers thing is really tough in the NFL. I know some would go ballistic if they un-retired some of the retired numbers, but that is really the best approach. Start over with a clean slate and clear rules and re-honor all in an inaugural gala when the new digs open.

Only NFL HOF'ers should ever have their actual number retired in a Patriots HOF. And only then if the majority of the stats, accomplishments, honors that got them in to Canton occurred during their time as Patriots. But some who arguably deserve to be in Canton but are not could also be inducted as legends or such a result of their off field contributions or exclusive and lengthy service - like Gino who continued his career by becoming the voice of the Patriots, or Bingo or Tedy or Ted - who played the rare entire career here in the era of FA. The museum itself would be a vehicle to re-involve some of our former legends as board members and such and a clear path to maintaining a continuem of service for guys selected down the road. It would also be an excellent way to honor guys like RAC and Charlie and Dante and Pepper (not to mention Belioli, the Kraft's, and Billy Sullivan who would be shoe ins for the non player section of the HOF).

Because of the logo change our italian friend often laments, they could get around the early retired numbers issue somewhat by retiring throwback jersey's of inductees whether or not the actual # is retired. And going forward those who wear that jersey # could wear a small tasteful commemorative patch on the sleeve that honors the HOF or ring of honor player who previously wore it.

I like the idea the Packers have of honoring guys who only played a few seasons as well but whose contributions in that short time truly merit the recognition. We have some of those. Rodney immediately comes to mind even in a HOF setting. And so would guys like Antoine and Patten among others in a ROH setting as opposed to a HOF.

I also like the idea of involving the fans in some voting capacity. But I think it might be better to let fans narrow the list and leave the actual decision making (particularly on an actual HOF selection) to a board of voters (like a half dozen limited term rotating media reps, the BOD of the museum, prior Fan of the Year Award recipients, maybe the top 5 or 10 season ticket holders by continuing length of ownership, and the existing inductees of the HOF or ROH. If the public fandom at large votes in players there will likely be some bandwaggon imbalance - so there would need to be a veterans committee to insure guys who played when many of the current fan base weren't even aware of the team get the recognition they deserve whether they have remained a relative household name or not. There should also be an enshrinement waiting period for the players - maybe the 5 years the NFL uses or something slightly shorter for a ring of honor (from which you could theoretically be elevated later to HOF status). And of course guys who are already on whatever list exists are just in regardless - no hurtful hindsight demotions.

Curren is right - lots of issues but this is fun. More fun at the moment than debating backup roster spots in an information vacuum. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back