PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots HAD to go for it on 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

solman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
If BB wants to run up the score, I won't have a problem with it.

But going for it on 4th down (instead of kicking a FG) is NOT running up the score.

You should always go on it on 4th down if:

1. You have a big lead late in the game
2. You are in field goal territory
3. You have a makable 4th down

If you kick a field goal you get an unimportant three points, but at considerable cost:

1. You give the ball back to the other team, giving them more opportunities to come back.
2. You have to kick the ball to the other team, giving them the chance for a game changing return.
3. You give the other team the opportunity to make a game changing play by blocking the field goal, perhaps running it back for six.
4. You give the other team the opportunity to gain momentum from a missed FG.

Kicking the FG is stupid football. That is one thing that you'll never see BB do.

Keeping Brady in the game (to get his third TD) could be considered running up the score. Going for it on 4th was a necessity.

Good points dude, but we know all this! You should somehow try to explain this to the media!

Nope the 2 yard punt...that what others want us to do. Kick it straight up in the air.

If BB wants to run up the score, I won't have a problem with it.

But going for it on 4th down (instead of kicking a FG) is NOT running up the score.

You should always go on it on 4th down if:

1. You have a big lead late in the game
2. You are in field goal territory
3. You have a makable 4th down

If you kick a field goal you get an unimportant three points, but at considerable cost:

1. You give the ball back to the other team, giving them more opportunities to come back.
2. You have to kick the ball to the other team, giving them the chance for a game changing return.
3. You give the other team the opportunity to make a game changing play by blocking the field goal, perhaps running it back for six.
4. You give the other team the opportunity to gain momentum from a missed FG.

Kicking the FG is stupid football. That is one thing that you'll never see BB do.

Keeping Brady in the game (to get his third TD) could be considered running up the score. Going for it on 4th was a necessity.

Kicking a FG also runs less time off the closk than getting a first down and a new set of downs to work with.

No!!!

We should have just HANDED them the ball.

Or "fumbled" it to them.

Or said "ok, we know you are so SUCKY that we'll just give you the football here, so that your precious self estemeeies aren't hurt".

This "running up the score" BS makes me want to puke.

How weak, how CLASSLESS to expect or demand that an offense "take it easy" on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why was Brady playing at that point?

Kicking a FG also runs less time off the closk than getting a first down and a new set of downs to work with.

what was the score? Was anyone actually worried about losing?

Personally, I don't care if they throw hail mary's until the 2 minute warning, but I think PASSING it after going for it on 4th down in a decided game is what raises the red flag for the media/observers. If we'd run it off tackle repeatedly after making the 4th down, it'd be better received than bringing in Vrabes and Seau and then passing. But...who gives a rat's a*s about perception. This Patriots team is cold-blooded and is shooting for 'all-time' status. These are bad men.

I'm just tickled watching Pats fans defending this after years of hearing it from many Pats fans over the last few years. I've heard complaining from Pats fans when the Colts were scoring in the THIRD QUARTER! I've got no issue with the number of points the Pats are scoring, it only counts for one win if you win by one or one hundred.

But it sure is fun watching so many Patriots fans try to justify how their team got to 8-0. It's awesome as it is, don't try to justify it!

regardless of going for it or not... the Pats have ironically been in this situation in about half their games this season and we have tis same conversation.

I was shocked when they went for it. In fact when it became 4th down I got up to grab another beer because I was so certain they would just kick it. Come on folks, make it a 41-0 game and force Washington to score 7 TDs in 11 minutes to win... It seems Belichick is just on a crazy mission to lash out at the whole league. Having said that, I hope they can put up a 50 spot on the Colts next week.

I was shocked when they went for it. In fact when it became 4th down I got up to grab another beer because I was so certain they would just kick it. Come on folks, make it a 41-0 game and force Washington to score 7 TDs in 11 minutes to win... It seems Belichick is just on a crazy mission to lash out at the whole league. Having said that, I hope they can put up a 50 spot on the Colts next week.

well what other way does he have to stick it to the league?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The 'proper' play was a run up the middle. Now, he chose to throw either because of trying to get Brady his 3rd td or to stick it to the league. Either one is defensible, but neither is laudatory. I'll defend BB on having Brady in on the drive, but the 4th down play was probably over the line.

Why does everyone care about the Pats "running up the score"? I'm sorry, but they were up 38-0, went for it on 4th down, and then PASSED for a TD. It's damn near impossible to justify that as anything other than running up the score. I'm not sure why Pats fans care about this. The team we're cheering for is dominating teams and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Last edited:
Let's not kid ourselves here. The 'proper' play was a run up the middle. Now, he chose to throw either because of trying to get Brady his 3rd td or to stick it to the league. Either one is defensible, but neither is laudatory. I'll defend BB on having Brady in on the drive, but the 4th down play was probably over the line.

Isn't McDaniels the one calling the plays? Maybe he's the evil one and BB is at his playcalling mercy. :D

I'm just tickled watching Pats fans defending this after years of hearing it from many Pats fans over the last few years. I've heard complaining from Pats fans when the Colts were scoring in the THIRD QUARTER! I've got no issue with the number of points the Pats are scoring, it only counts for one win if you win by one or one hundred.

But it sure is fun watching so many Patriots fans try to justify how their team got to 8-0. It's awesome as it is, don't try to justify it!

There's no need to justify anything. The Patriots are just BETTER than everyone else so far.

Why does everyone care about the Pats "running up the score"? I'm sorry, but they were up 38-0, went for it on 4th down, and then PASSED for a TD. It's damn near impossible to justify that as anything other than running up the score. I'm not sure why Pats fans care about this. The team we're cheering for is dominating teams and I wouldn't want it any other way.

:agree: There is no argument that the Patriots ran up the score. The Patriots of old were on the wrong side of that plenty of times. The only justification I'd have involves two issues: 1) You don't kick a FG. Those are just cheap points. You run it and make the opposition stop you. 2.) Anything scoring through the third quarter is justified, given the ability of teams to come back and (this is an issue oft-overlooked) the need for teams to work on their offensive timing through more reps.
Even with those caveats, there was no need to score 52 points. I do think the whole "eff you" thing has been blown out of proportion, though. It might just be the O tinkering and seeing what works while giving opposing scouts something to think about.
But what the hell do I know? :confused:

I don't get this logic. So by not putting points on the board, you are giving yourself a better chance to win? I'm not buying it.

I do not understand all of these unnecessary discussions usually started by the media... there is no mercy rules in the NFL only in little league or pop warner. The Redskins came in with a highly touted D, supposedly prior to this game they held opposing QB's to a 62 rating.. we beat the crap out of them and showed them who is boss.

What are we supposed to do in this situation, we were taking time off of the clock.. I think much of this is a function of bored media who do not do their homework.. an NFL team is supposed to win, anything short of this is not acceptable. If we win by 21-20 or 52-7, a w is a w.. I don't get the argument of running up the score, what are the Pats supposed to do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes