PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' Gronkowski and Amendola Didn't Travel to Atlanta, Both Out Against Falcons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots' Gronkowski and Amendola Didn't Travel to Atlanta, Both Out Against Falc

Even if both are not playing, why not have them fly with the team to Atlanta? That will probably force the Falcons to game plan against the two of them right up until the final inactive list is out.

Is it to save costs? Or to avoid possible injuries on the flight? I can understand if the flight will interfere with the recovery process but can't that continue in Atlanta as well?

I think this is a very valid question, but it has generally been Belichick's procedure that it's simply a waste of time and energy to have players who are known to be inactive travel with the team for away games. It's possible that he just treats it as an all-encompassing policy and does not stray from it for anyone. It's also possible that he feels that resting at home is the best for the injury.

Either way, one thing to keep in mind is that at this point in time there really wouldn't be much (if any) competitive advantage at this point in the week. The Falcons have already been forced to develop their gameplanning all week long and won't be changing it or practicing at this point in time, obviously. That would pretty much end as of Friday, so in theory he could've actually stated this information a day earlier without much consequence.

Re: Patriots' Gronkowski and Amendola Didn't Travel to Atlanta, Both Out Against Falc

I agree. Under the bright lights of a prime time game against a good team, I see a long, painful night. Much like the Jets night but against a team that actually has an Offense.

Maybe but the Patriots are 3-0 right and if they lose tonight they are still 3-1. A record of 3-1 is damn good when you consider we are operating with an almost entirely new passing game that is clearly a work in progress (it's almost as if the passing game is still in training camp). So why not see it from the positive, homeristic side? Every game the Patriots are playing without Gronk/DA/Vereen is one more week's worth of cultivating a strength that is adding above and beyond to the total strength that DA/Gronk/Vereen bring to the table.

Look, if Gronk/DA/Vereen were all here from day 1, which is all what we would have preferred, TB would not be forcing this sync with/increasing growth of JE, Dobson, Thomkins, maybe Bolden. And while this process has resulted in a lack of potency, poor stats for TB, a lack of first downs-a lack of 3rd down success- a significant increase in punts, less scoring, general ugliness etc etc etc, this is a bitter pill that had to be swallowed for the new/unproven guys to, as soon as possible, be a more real and more usable strength that adds to the strength of Gronk/DA/Vereen. Fortunately (and semi surprisingly) this bitter pill has gone down a hell of a lot easier than it should because this ugliness hasn't resulted in losses.

Bottom line: new/unproven guys are getting extremely valuable and abundant training, wins are still happening, upon the return of Gronk/DA/Vereen the passing game should have potency at a level few expected it to be. And if this is in part due to the football gods creating a schedule that allowed the Patriots to win games while conducting passing game training camp through week 3 of the regular season? Ain't one friggin thing wrong with that!

And that doesn't even touch on how this is forcing the defensive mindset to become a grit it out, can't rely on a high powered offense to win the game, have to dig and scratch to hold small 4th quarter leads when facing opposition possession after possession after possession. This is the kind of training/mindset the D hasn't had to have in quite some years (and arguably one it has been missing to go up against certain teams like the Ravens).

And that is how homerism is done! :D

It is a strange policy to risk injured players when you are 3-0 and playing a non-division game.

Come on MG, what may be strange in the real world is just your run of the mill Saturday night on an NFL posting forum ;)

I think this is a very valid question, but it has generally been Belichick's procedure that it's simply a waste of time and energy to have players who are known to be inactive travel with the team for away games. It's possible that he just treats it as an all-encompassing policy and does not stray from it for anyone. It's also possible that he feels that resting at home is the best for the injury.

Either way, one thing to keep in mind is that at this point in time there really wouldn't be much (if any) competitive advantage at this point in the week. The Falcons have already been forced to develop their gameplanning all week long and won't be changing it or practicing at this point in time, obviously. That would pretty much end as of Friday, so in theory he could've actually stated this information a day earlier without much consequence.

That's what I am thinking, what is the benefit of having them fly with the team on a Saturday afternoon if they are going to be inactive? The subterfuge has already had its time to take effect (whatever the effect it actually does have). By Saturday afternoon, I assume, Atlanta has its various studied and practiced plans in place and these probably aren't going to change in any tangential way by Saturday afternoon.

On something like this I utterly trust BB to know when there is a small competitive advantage to be gained. IMHO BB is the hands down greatest coach of all time when it comes to wringing out every scintilla of game day competitive advantage. To BB there seems to be no advantage that is too minute to not try to gain with no exception to that rule. So if DA/Gronk didn't fly to Atlanta, this tells me there isn't an advantage to be gained (unless BB sees a different minute advantage to gain by keeping them home....... to practice, to rest, to receive treatment, to ???).

Even if both are not playing, why not have them fly with the team to Atlanta? That will probably force the Falcons to game plan against the two of them right up until the final inactive list is out.

Is it to save costs? Or to avoid possible injuries on the flight? I can understand if the flight will interfere with the recovery process but can't that continue in Atlanta as well?

Why have Gronk fly when he is recovered from a broken back. Flying is uncomfortable enough with a healthy back.

Why have Gronk fly when he is recovered from a broken back. Flying is uncomfortable enough with a healthy back.

Folks recovering from broken backs do so well practicing in full pads too :confused:

Folks recovering from broken backs do so well practicing in full pads too :confused:

You've never flown Delta on a cloudy day, have you

;)

It is a strange policy to risk injured players when you are 3-0 and playing a non-division game.

Non- conference, in fact, which technically are the games a team can most afford to lose.

Rooks better be ready. Bright lights tonight. I want my 4-0!

It's strange to have a pro player who is ready to play sit out because Daddy says so.

Non- conference, in fact, which technically are the games a team can most afford to lose.

Same record as the Dolphins I would think the Pats want every win they can get.

Have the Patriots already conceded the AFC to Denver? Sure would like home field advantage in the playoffs instead of going to Denver and play.

I'm actually expecting the rookies to make the next step even from last week. The more practice reps they get with Brady, the more in sync they will get with the playbook the better they will perform on the field.

these games could be important for them/the team later in the year. because once Gronk/Amendola come back their load/responsibilities will lesson...but they will have already progressed enough to be key contributers and make this offense scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes