Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots Going "Green"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NYPatsFan, Nov 12, 2007.

1. NYPatsFan

NYPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Looks like the Patriots are the latest victims...

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the Pats looking for ways to reduce energy usage at Gillette Stadium, but I'm sick and tired of companies claiming to be "green" simply because they purchased some offsets from an environmental group or an energy company.

As the article says, the Pats aren't going to reduce their energy usage or power the stadium with renewable energy. They are simply going to pay a 3rd party some cash so they can claim to be "environmentally friendly." :rolleyes:
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's just a way for liberals to alleviate the guilt they are feeling at their own amount of consumption. Mark my words: The day will come when some news crew does an expose on those "carbon offset" companies and finds out that all they are doing is taking money and pocketing it and not doing a damn thing they say they are.
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

And to the political forum we go.....
  4. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yes, it should. Some simply cannot control themselves. The entire point of this thread was to elicit some political reaction and it appears to have worked.
  5. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Forget the bogus carbon credit scams. They could buy and install a wind turbine on that property; solar voltiac power is another option. Both sources need not always be available since they're obviously on the power grid. Give a needed boost to those nascent 'green' industries that need it; don't play the carbon credit shell scam.
  6. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +238 / 22 / -10

They could chose to buy their electricity from Cape Wind...:p :p :p
  7. 420jim

420jim Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When I saw the thread I was afraid the Pats were going to have a green uniform. Thank god it was only political
  8. 420jim

420jim Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I got an idea, the Pats could give all the fans a little hand powered generator that powers the opposing teams electric sideline heater for the rest of the season. That way all the good people of Patriot nation can do their part in not letting those soft dome teams freeze in the cold of New England ;)
  9. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm far from a greenie, but it would have been cool if they had planned on installing some solar panels somewhere or were going to do some green roofs at some of the new construction around the stadium. The offset stuff is a crock but it does allow the purchaser a claim in the "environmentally friendly" movement. It's good for marketing/publicity too since the majority of people won't know what's behind it.

We are looking at it from a business standpoint, not only from the marketing/publicity standpoint but from bottom line. Solar can be incredibly expensive, at least initially. For our 40K sq.ft. facility we'd require a $450K system which after tax incentives and rebates comes out in the $275K range. After about 13 years it would pay for itself and then your on free electricity until you have to replace the panels at the 20 yr. mark. It's a big nut to break for a small business. That got us on the green roof path. Still looking into that, though.

It was probably the right move even though it's more lip-service than anything else. It's another notch up there with the grey water recycling they already do.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

From the title of this thread, I thought it referred to the Patriots' composting of their opponents.........
  11. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

I thought we were benching Seymour in favor of Jaris
  12. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's a pretty good line.
  13. NYPatsFan

NYPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It's a sports business post, not a political one. There are lots of things the Pats could be doing with their money instead of this. I still don't like the fact that they sold the rights to the original PVN on Patriots.com to Comcast. Instead of flushing money down the toilet with a purely symbolic gesture, they could have kept PVN on Patriots.com for everybody to enjoy.