PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots franchise Logan Mankins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on PFT that the Franchise tag will mean he will earn a lot more in one year than he has in his entire career so far... I think he will do what Asante did, skip camp and then turn up for week 1, that is just too much money to turn down. That is of course, subject to change with the CBA.

At the end of the day, I understand why players don't like the Franchise tag, but it some cases, it works out in the players favor, like Walter Jones, who was tagged every year, missed camp, and ended up with even more $$$ than he would have got if he had signed long term.
Asante didnt skip camp, and there really is no reason for Mankins to.

Re: Mankins Franchised

Yup! Move #1 Finalized. Now what's move # 2?

Considering what's brought our offense down in the last three playoff games, hopefully a long term deal.

MEH ....

I don't get all revved up over these anymore ... Lawyer Milloy was the last one and I was glad he was let go. It's business ... we spend the money ... either he is here or someone else will be. If he's here I like him ... if not I wish him well he always gave us 110% ... he is the anti- dog faker type of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Considering what's brought our offense down in the last three playoff games, hopefully a long term deal.

He was the Patriots left guard in the last 3 playoff games. I swear he was out there for just about every snap of them.

Retaining him wouldn't solve it, changing what's around him would.

I hope they keep him, but I hope they do it in a way that still allows them to strengthen the team. If he won't allow that, sayonara.

Last edited:

He was the Patriots left guard in the last 3 playoff games. I swear he was out there for just about every snap of them.

I hope they keep him, but I hope they do it in a way that still allows them to strengthen the team. If he won't allow that, sayonara.

Are we better off with one 10 million player or two 5 million players on the line? I always think we're better off with the two players with the exception being the QB where more is not better ... the one is best at that position.

because I'm not hearing any news about him, and that's what people are anticipating based on what I've read.

light said he's not talking about his contract till after the CBA... so thats why you haven't heard anything about him. Based on what i have read and heard i thought most people thought he'd be back.

And while he and the entire O-Line sucked in the Super Bowl, he played extremely well in the Wild Card against the Ravens in '09 and against the Jets this year. Would retaining him solve it? No. But not retaining him would just cause that problem to get that much worse. Mankins is a top five guard in the league. We all saw the change in the O-Line when he came back this year. Why continue to toy around with him. Both sides need to bury the hatchet and put together a sound offer to make Mankins a Patriot for a long time to come.

:)

And Mankins, as a guard making 2 year's worth of salary each year, will say "thank you very much". BTW, he would make over $10M this year and $12M next.

The thing is if you look at this as a 2 year plan over 2010 2011. we would have paid him what? 11.7 million over 2 years and how many games did he take off? 7? sooooo its basically like he signed a 2 year deal last year for just under 6 mil a season (after a holdout).

Not really going to much matter until this CBA thing is resolved, nothing of this matters now....

Last edited by a moderator:

light said he's not talking about his contract till after the CBA... so thats why you haven't heard anything about him. Based on what i have read and heard i thought most people thought he'd be back.

Matt Light deserves more praise for this. I'd rather have Light than Mankins just because Light shows more dedication to the team and the players.

Asante didnt skip camp, and there really is no reason for Mankins to.

Why dosn't any one check out their facts before calling someone else wrong. Asante did indeed hold out till late August before reporting to sign his franchise tag and only after getting the Pats to agree not to franchise him again.
Samuel ends holdout, rejoins Pats | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

AND there is a reason for Mankins to hold out, playing under the franchise tag holds no security. If he suffers a career ending injury on the one year deal he is done. At this point in his career he can hold out for the deal with the high pay out with large up front and guarenteed money long term. Or he can hold out LIKE ASANTE DID trying to get a guarentee that the Pats won't franchise him the following year.

Glad we have him for [at least] another season. Gotta resign Light and add another mauler on the inside. 8 picks in the top 4 rounds and hopefully Bodden/Warren back. Already getting excited for 2011!

I hope this was done similarly to Wilfork: clear communication that this is a procedural move enabling flexibility to construct a long-term deal under the uncertain labor situation. The Patriots can point to the Wilfork transaction as the archetype of what they want to see. Worst case, you make $10mm.

Mankins has shown the propensity to get caught up in the respect side of contract negotiations (the reason the Red Sox avoid salary arbitration although it is their right). He could just as easily see this as the man trying to restrict his freedom. Based on how the RFA situation played out, communication between Mankins, his agent, and the Patriots was not perfect. The Patriots move to cut his RFA tender, which was their right, could certainly be considered spiteful by the player. There may be a bridge still to mend.

However, this is purely procedural. In the absence of a new CBA, there is no certainty that there will be a franchise tag, nor rules on how it will work. There is no free agency. While any tag transactions from Feb 2011 may be rendered moot, failure to utilize the tag may well cause losses for the team.

I hope all the issues work out and Mankins gets a longterm deal from the Patriots.

Have to wonder how much this is related to the uncertainty about the labor contract?? Pretty confident that the pats want him around, if they didn't they would not pay him 10 Million a year.

Have to wonder how much this is related to the uncertainty about the labor contract?? Pretty confident that the pats want him around, if they didn't they would not pay him 10 Million a year.

It could just be a tag and trade thing,,,,,assuming there's a cba again :D
By tagging him, they have control. It doesnt mean they want to pay him what he was wanting before.

By tagging him, they have control. It doesnt mean they want to pay him what he was wanting before.

Perhaps. Another dynamic at play here is Mankins' willingness to actually sign the franchise tag. Hes pretty stubborn ala Asante.

Exactly. With Asante the sides were a lot farther apart, couple of million per apart, whereas in this case they are roughly a million apart. But looking at the situation as a period in time it wasn't a bad deal for the team either way you looked at it because the two year average for each player was well within the limits they'd have paid either in a long term extension plus they had the couple of million difference between a tag cap hit and the hit a long term deal would have generated. The tag therefore became a win win for the team because it allowed them to either make the determination to move on with compensation or retain the player at a reasonable cost for one more season while both sides continued to ponder whether or not a long term deal could be struck. They seem to have chosen the latter with Asante, but I'm not sure he had the marketability in early 2007 that Mankins does now. He was coming off what many felt was a fluke 2006 season where his late season INTS vaulted him into the limelight. Mankins has been hyped as a pro bowl caliber guard for some time now.

The CBA may make this all a moot point though as there will either be a flooded UFA market if one is reached before the draft or their may be no FA or need to tag anyone if a work stoppage drags out into the summer. The owners have already formulated a plan for skipping FA altogether in that instance and simply paying the affected players a premium for one more season, so Mankins could end up getting swallowed up in the grand scheme again at a lot less than $10M.

Either way the NEP have simply stated their intent to stake their claim to his rights for another season by whatever available means. And as Logan has grown fond of stating, it's just business.

Agree, but my gut(incredibly scientific) tells me that they want him, the offensive numbers do not lie.. thought when he came back that they had a deal in place, wrong again, but there could be the outlines of an agreement in place that awaits implementation dependent on the current CBA negotiations..

Not sure if you are going to get anything close to his value, via trade.

Perhaps. Another dynamic at play here is Mankins' willingness to actually sign the franchise tag. Hes pretty stubborn ala Asante.

Agree. If Mankins wanted to really cross up the Patriots, he'd sign the tag immediately. That would put pressure on the Patriots to sign him to a long-term deal, or trade him to a team that would.

As Wilfork showed, there is no requirement that a tagged player actually play under the tag (also see: Cassel, Matt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes