PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots field being kept in shabby condition on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they don't normally practice inside Gillette doesn't mean they can't.

From Reiss on the 6th:

Reiss said:
October 06, 2006
Field day
Speaking at his Friday press conference (10:30 a.m. ET), Bill Belichick explained that the Patriots practiced on the Gillette Stadium field on Thursday because the surface is "a little different than it was in the Denver game, after the [Rolling Stones] concert."

Belichick said the big difference is that there is less sand. He said Thursday's practice was aimed at helping players get used to the surface, which seemed to affect the team's field goal unit most against the Broncos on Sept. 24.

With all the national press this has received, I'd be surprised if the field wasn't pristine next time they are at home.

Could someone who takes the position that this bad field is our advantage in December and January please answer my question. If the filed is a frozen hard mass that doesnt move at all, how is the loose turf problem an advantage? I am not argueing, I just cant understand the how a frozen formerly loose turf is an advantage. (not talking about north vs south or indoor vs outdoor teams)

I don't think the "the field is crap for an advantage" position makes much sense anyway. It's not like the old Garden where you can learn where the dead spots are - everyone knows where the sand is, right in the middle of the damn field, and neither team can ignore it more than the other.

Do you realize how many times a year you'd have to play on that field to be able to get used to playing in sand? A lot more than 8. The Pats players hate the field, it's not doing them any good, it's hurting them and the opposing team, and I can't think of a compelling argument that says it screws the Pats any less. Feel free to try, however, I'm willing to listen to theories.

Digger44 said:
Could someone who takes the position that this bad field is our advantage in December and January please answer my question. If the filed is a frozen hard mass that doesnt move at all, how is the loose turf problem an advantage? I am not argueing, I just cant understand the how a frozen formerly loose turf is an advantage. (not talking about north vs south or indoor vs outdoor teams)

I don't know? But I have heard that they have a heating system under the field so maybe that warms it up just enough to allow the dirt to be loose? Not sure. I don't think the Pats make it this bad on purpose, I do believe the stuff about not covering the field before the Colts game in 04.

Digger44 said:
The field has radiant tubing running through it so I'm not sure how frozen it is for games.

jaychamp said:
The field has radiant tubing running through it so I'm not sure how frozen it is for games.

Correct. The only way that field freezes solid is if the system fails, or possibly when temps get ridiculous, like the Titans game in 2003.

It's quite evident when they have a light snowfall during the game. It melts. Heavier snow does accumulate though..

FYI, today, Bryan Morry, formerly of Patriots Football Weekly, (wholly owned by the Pats), now a drivetime sports radio guy on 790am, said the last groudskeeper that quit, Dennis something, butted heads more than once with BB. He said Dennis, when asked by BB to clear the field to let the team practice on it, refused to remove the tarp, until Kraft had to intervene and told him BB was in charge. As Morry put it 'he's no longer employed by Kraft'. Likely his choice, but he didn't say that.

For the record, Morry did not say he thought it was a deliberate effort by BB to keep the field in sorry shape, but, then again, he still covers the team and likely has relationships he'd rather keep, rather than be frozen out ala Ron Borges.

As to injuries, if it happens, there will be an outcry. In the meantime, is my memory failing, or is it true that there has not been one significant injury that can be identified as being caused by the field at Gillette? In over 5 years? Ty Laws ankle sprain(s) are the worst I can think of. Cleats don't get stuck in that field, they slip, so knee's haven't been torn apart as they have most places in the league, right? Most of the significant injuries suffered by the pats occurred on the road. I could be wrong, but I can't think of the last time they lost a starter to anything relating to the field at Gillette.

I can believe that BB did not like the field after the Stones game. I can believe that, with Maroney on the team, he may want to have a faster surface....but not until the defense is revamped and speed replaces veteran savvy. Can you imagine them trying to defend against teams like the Colts? They couldn't do it, not with the age in the secondary at the moment, with Harrison, Hawkins, Scott, all starting.

mgcolby said:
The fact that they don't normally practice inside Gillette doesn't mean they can't.

From Reiss on the 6th:

Reinforcing mgcolby's evidence,
Gost was asked how the field effected him and he replied,
All I Can Do Is Wear The Right Cleats And Get Used To Kicking On It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes