PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots express interest in Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
im telling u, this half of the season were gonna see maroney the full time back, and its about time too

I would applaud this. He's been electric the few carries he's had. He's running with more power, with his shoulders lower. I like that he's getting 2 hands on the ball more of the time now too.

All this said, I wouldn't mind having Corey to mix it up or have as a back-up. But this is purely sentimental. I really like him.

Why have a guy on the roster who serves no purpose other than running the ball when he only runs it 5 times a game? :confused:

Goal line and short yardage, some of the most important carries of the game.

I'd love to re-sign Dillon. Even if he's not in shape now, he'd have weeks to get there as we wouldn't really need him until down the road if Maroney or Faulk get hurt. A reasonably in shape Dillon still has a nose for the goalline as his 13 TD last year showed. And with 9 weeks until the playoffs start (probably 10 until our first game) he would have more than enough time to be in good shape by then.

So you are going to carry him as a game day inactive for 4+ weeks while he gets in football shape and hope by week 15-16 he can actually get into game shape and tie up a roster spot that leaves us short handed somewhere, not to mention up against it if other more pressing needs arise? Did you see how he came out of camp the last two seasons either struggling with injuries or tapping that helmet and disappearing for long stretches that often maddeningly included failed goal line situations with Maroney or Evans?

He looked not just slow last season but stiff - almost artheritic through the hips. If we need Dillon we've got a problem. If he's in shape by then you take a flyer as the best of a poor set of options. I think given the nature of the injury as we know it, they likely IR'd Morris because they weren't comfortable with him taking up a roster spot for another 4-6 weeks. Signing Dillon now would be replacing that problem with an identical one.

So you are going to carry him as a game day inactive for 4+ weeks while he gets in football shape and hope by week 15-16 he can actually get into game shape and tie up a roster spot that leaves us short handed somewhere, not to mention up against it if other more pressing needs arise? Did you see how he came out of camp the last two seasons either struggling with injuries or tapping that helmet and disappearing for long stretches that often maddeningly included failed goal line situations with Maroney or Evans?

He looked not just slow last season but stiff - almost artheritic through the hips. If we need Dillon we've got a problem. If he's in shape by then you take a flyer as the best of a poor set of options. I think given the nature of the injury as we know it, they likely IR'd Morris because they weren't comfortable with him taking up a roster spot for another 4-6 weeks. Signing Dillon now would be replacing that problem with an identical one.

Easy on the logic there, you'll leave no room for sentiment.
As cools as it would be to see Dillon ride in and bolster the rb corps and ride off with another ring, I don't think a Clydesdale could handle the load.

What many seem to be overlooking is the passing attack the PATs have this
year vs last year. Maroney is now averaging 4.8 yds per carry.

If Dillion is in shape I sure would like to see what he can do in this
offense as Defenses back off to cover.
I sure would rather have Dillion, in shape, vs Evans or Eckle as a back up to
Maroney.

Maroney better stay healthy. This is his chance to show everyone who says he is injury prone that he can carry the load. If he gets hurt again I want all the kool aid drinkers who called me an idiot for being concerned about this kids health to step up and let it be known they are guilty of some serious douchbagery.

I think Maroney has all the talent he needs to be a awesome back. I am worried about his health with Morris gone.

Last edited:
Maroney better stay healthy. This is his chance to show everyone who says he is injury prone that he can carry the load. If he gets hurt again I want all the kool aid drinkers who called me an idiot for being concerned about this kids health to step up and let it be known they are guilty of some serious douchbagery.
\.

funny stuff

how well have we run the ball in the red zone since morris went out? not much, we have thrown the ball a lot .Probably means we need a goal line back..no ?

Last edited:
I'd be in the No column--rarely works to go back to things. I do have such trust in the organization, though, that were he to come back, I think it would probably work.

Chris has bingo.

Go back and watch last year's AFC Championship, that's all you need to see... the guy couldn't hit the hole anymore.

I suggest you take your own advice...The entire run game didn't so well.. So to sit there and just sh!t on dillon for his performance there is pathetic.

OH, if dillon couldn't hit a hole, how'd he get that 35 yard run?
:bricks:

I think given the nature of the injury as we know it, they likely IR'd Morris because they weren't comfortable with him taking up a roster spot for another 4-6 weeks. Signing Dillon now would be replacing that problem with an identical one.

First I agree with the Reiss analysis posted that Eckle is more valuable right now because he's a good ST player. Secondly, IR-ing Morris assuming his outlook to heal was long, allows a roster spot for Chad Jackson without cuting valuable ST/backups at the oft-injured DB positions.

If Corey works out seriously, BB can re-evaluate his depth situation just before Christmas and make the decision off the shadow roster then with more info on his depth chart injuries and Dillon's real physical ability.

Why have a guy on the roster who serves no purpose other than running the ball when he only runs it 5 times a game? :confused:

I agree - I would rather have them bring in Patrick Pass. Not only does he know our system, he is more versatile as a back and he is good special teams player.

I agree - I would rather have them bring in Patrick Pass. Not only does he know our system, he is more versatile as a back and he is good special teams player.

A fork has been stuck in Patrick Pass. I cannot forget the attitude towards him expressed by Charlie Weiss in 'Patriots Reign."

boy do I hope so, I don't see why he wouldn't want to, its a chance to get another ring and say you were part of the '07 Patriots (which is going to be like saying you were part of the '85 Bears only better)

No question guys like Eckle and Evans are very valuable for their blocking skills along with terrific special teams play.

However, let's not forget that we have only two real running backs on this team right now and one of those is a third down / special player at that (Faulk), leaving us with only one bona fide running back (Maroney). Given his history in the NFL so far, this could be a sudden, major problem.

What I am trying to say is we are now one hit away from serious trouble.

I think we need to sign a guy that is able to carry the load for a 1/2 or 1/4 of a season, before it is too late.

Dillon, if he is in shape, is the solution. He knows the offense and fits right in. He would also help with short game / red zone as he did last year, while giving us that insurance policy we badly need.

Not that I want Dillon back at this point, but my problem is that Eckel and Evans are literally the same player basically. Evans is slightly better/more valuable, and is a better runner. Why do we need two of the same player?

I would much rather see a guy brought in who can bring a similar skill set as Morris...I.E. actually a decent runner who hits the hole and goes. Faulk is a scat back, Evans in slow, and Eckel is a terrible runner. If Maroney can stay healthy, great, this is all irrelevent, but if not...oh ohhhh is all I can say.

One problem witjh Dillon coming here, the offensive line is using zone blocking scheme now. I thought we held off doing that for Maroney because Dillon was still here ? Am I wrong ?

Last edited:
getting some guys half way thru the season like seymour, hopefully troy posibbly Chad or Eddie Jackson could help so why not throw corey in the mix. Imagine if he is actually motivated (like 04).....He has been at home for half a season now he is suposed to be retired but he is watching us, his former team that he got a ring with, play as good as we are playing. He wants in on it and he wants to be a part of it he will get in shape and be ready for when we need him.

Doesnt seem far fetched to replace four or five guys in the next few weeks due to various reasons....We will see who can make it onto this roster from the list above....Troy, Chad, Eddie, and Corey.

He looked not just slow last season but stiff - almost artheritic through the hips. If we need Dillon we've got a problem.

Again, he might've looked that way at times, he might've showed it by constantly checking himself out after runs, but his production was still solid. A 4.1 ypc is pretty solid particularly considering the number of short yardage situations he was in on.

Again, as one poster above said, if Maroney is healthy the rest of the season, this is a non-issue. But Dillon would be a good insurance policy and also good in short yardage & goal-line situations.

If we lose Maroney for any length of time, we'd be in serious trouble. I'd have more confidence in Corey Dillon no matter what shape he is in. He can roll right off the couch with potato chip crumbs falling off of him and I'd rather see him get the ball 10-15 times a game than a combination of Eckel and Evans.

I would love to see Dillon back, he is a pounder, and that will wear teams down in the 4Q.

Get him back, get him into a workout routine, and coming on the end he may pay dividends for our team.

Bring back Cory please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing