PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Draft Picks: Looking at the bigger picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Light, No Mankins.
LT Solder(cant sit a guy drafted this high)
LG Connolly-started more games than any G last year
C Koppen
RG Kaczur-easier adjustment from RT
RT Vollmer

If Cannon can play it would most likely be LG, easiest adjustment from LT. Connolly could be our future C too.

As Patriot fans, we have to prepare to be without Mankins. I can only hope that the organization can trade him for a draft pick.

This keeps on getting repeated. Why do you think that Mankins won't play for the patriots this year?

As Patriot fans, we have to prepare to be without Mankins. I can only hope that the organization can trade him for a draft pick.

Amen Brother !

Use Light's salary to help re-sign Mankins..Please..

I have a feeling that the Pats newly retooled OL and running game will slow down any team's pass rush and make TB even more effective in the play action passing game..How much more can they score over last season's prolific offense is the question.. :)

Agree 100% that the effect of an enhanced ground game on the effectiveness of our own play-action could be an enormous boost to the offense. But, actually, I've been thinking in terms of how it may help us in terms of clock ownership by enabling a higher percentage of our scores to come from sustained, time-consuming drives, rather than only increasing the number of points we can put up.

From an endgame perspective, it's fairly obvious to say that the number of points your lead needs to be in order to force the opposing offense to become one-dimensional is directly proportional to how much time you're leaving the opposing offense to work with. If your offense is taking 8:00 off the clock every time it touches the ball and you're scoring on nearly every one of those touches, AND your DL is capable of limiting the opposition ground game and your defense in general is designed to stifle big plays, even while yielding yardage (thus forcing the opponent to sustain a long drive in order to score), ultimately it reduces the effectiveness of THEIR play-action and puts them into one-dimensional desperation mode that much sooner (and, perhaps, increases pass-rush opportunities).

This is all especially effective if your special teams can consistently force the opponent to start all their drives from their own 20 or deeper.

No Light, No Mankins.
LT Solder(cant sit a guy drafted this high)
LG Connolly-started more games than any G last year
C Koppen
RG Kaczur-easier adjustment from RT
RT Vollmer

If Cannon can play it would most likely be LG, easiest adjustment from LT. Connolly could be our future C too.

What do you mean NO Mankins. When this lockout is over, Mankins will be the first guy to sign his tender, and the Pats will be happy to pay it. Remember that would mean they will have gotten the better part of 2 years from Mankins for less than $5.5MM/yr. In some places that would be considered a bargain. ;) Signing him long term IS still a question, but I don't think where he plays in 2011 is one.

Mankins

I don't think we can assume the franchise tag will even exist. I'd be surprised if Mankins suits up for the Pats this year.

If there's no tag we won't even be able to trade him.

But last year demonstrated we can be alright without him.

This team's getting younger and younger. You can almost put together a respectable starting lineup with only players drafted in the past 3 years. Not sure any team in the league will be as young as we will be.

still laughing at people who think Vereen is more "explosive" than woodhead. The thing Vereen has over woodhead when it comes to the running game is vision and balance. Vereen is a stronger back and can walk through arm tackles with ease. If anybody wants to question woodheads speed or quickness watch his TD runs against the bills and colts.

Pats have backs that can pound the ball...catch it and a couple of speedy elusive backs with YOUNG legs.....retooling their OL with Solder and maybe even Cannon at OG later should provide something Pats fans haven't seen in a while...a running game that will move the chains and eat up the clock when needed...

Just MHO :singing:

still laughing at people who think Vereen is more "explosive" than woodhead. The thing Vereen has over woodhead when it comes to the running game is vision and balance. Vereen is a stronger back and can walk through arm tackles with ease. If anybody wants to question woodheads speed or quickness watch his TD runs against the bills and colts.

TriplecHamp, yeah seriously. Woodhead is a freak. A little freak but still. If Woodhead got to play for Cal instead of, um, somewhere untelevised, he'd get more respect. Vereen is much better in the down field passing game. He's more of a natural receiver. So is Faulk.

Synovia, what you said cracked me up. Explosive = black, gritty = white. So true. When I said to friends that JJ Watt is one the most explosive guys in the draft they bring how he's a good character, hard worker etc. Lots of dog whistle terms in sports.

Last edited:
What I find crazy is that a similar athlete to Marcus Cannon was drafted in the first round in 2010, Mike Iupati. It seems like Marcus is more skilled and he has more potential. Iupati made the all-rookie team. I'm kinda rambling but anyway. The 49ers drafted a tackle and RG in the first round to shore up their oline. Iupati and Anthony Davis. We drafted a Solder in the first and Cannon in the fifth so we did it more cheaply and our guys might just have a higher upside short term and long term.

In terms of the RBs, this is all about scheme flexibility. The Pats did not have the biggest or fastest players last year, but they got by (to the tune of over 500 points scored.) The offense has a unique set of players that all have their own special skillset, and while they would not be that tough to defend with a vanilla playbook, they become really tough to defend when they are constantly rotating in new players that can beat you. I think the key this offense are the two tight ends they drafted last year, as those guy create nightmare matchups.

So with all of this emphasis on shifting personnel, why not just add more players to the mix? They now have four running backs that have different running styles are going to be really tough to defend.

I'm guessing you rarely see the same formation twice in the same game next season.

This keeps on getting repeated. Why do you think that Mankins won't play for the patriots this year?

Why do you think Mankins will play before week 10?

What I find crazy is that a similar athlete to Marcus Cannon was drafted in the first round in 2010, Mike Iupati. It seems like Marcus is more skilled and he has more potential. Iupati made the all-rookie team. I'm kinda rambling but anyway. The 49ers drafted a tackle and RG in the first round to shore up their oline. Iupati and Anthony Davis. We drafted a Solder in the first and Cannon in the fifth so we did it more cheaply and our guys might just have a higher upside short term and long term.

Iupati doesn't have cancer.

Cannon is a lot like D'Quan Bowers. If there are no long term health issues, he would have gone in the top half of the first. If he comes out of the Chemo fine, he'll be one of the best picks of the draft. There's a relatively large chance that he doesn't though.

Still, for a 5th, I think you take that chance.

Well, I guess we've heard from Dr. Synova. Cannon may be ready for 2011 camp. I don't know why you think otherwise. He is CURRENTLY taking chemo treatments for non-cancerous growths). Camp isn't for 2 months, at least.

HOWEVER, Cannon could be on the 2011 PUP list or even 2011 IR. In any case, there is absolutely zero reason for thinking that he will not be ready for 2012. It's sort of like not drafting Mallett because there is a large chance that he will flunk out of the leagues's drug program by the end of the 2011 season.

Iupati doesn't have cancer.

Cannon is a lot like D'Quan Bowers. If there are no long term health issues, he would have gone in the top half of the first. If he comes out of the Chemo fine, he'll be one of the best picks of the draft. There's a relatively large chance that he doesn't though.

Still, for a 5th, I think you take that chance.

Well, I guess we've heard from Dr. Synova. Cannon may be ready for 2011 camp. I don't know why you think otherwise. He is CURRENTLY taking chemo treatments for non-cancerous growths). Camp isn't for 2 months, at least.
2 months is an awful short time to start jogging after chemo, let alone get in NFL shape. He's got a tough road ahead of him. Chances are, he'll be fine, but the chances that he plays football this year aren't very high.

HOWEVER, Cannon could be on the 2011 PUP list or even 2011 IR. In any case, there is absolutely zero reason for thinking that he will not be ready for 2012. It's sort of like not drafting Mallett because there is a large chance that he will flunk out of the leagues's drug program by the end of the 2011 season.

They're both risks with really high upside. A franchise that goes 14-2 in a year where they rebuild half their defense is exactly the sort of franchise that should be making these sorts of risky picks.

I think Cannon is a great pick, but there's a very clear reason that right now, Iaputi did, and should, demand a higher cost.

2 months is an awful short time to start jogging after chemo, let alone get in NFL shape. He's got a tough road ahead of him. Chances are, he'll be fine, but the chances that he plays football this year aren't very high.

They're both risks with really high upside. A franchise that goes 14-2 in a year where they rebuild half their defense is exactly the sort of franchise that should be making these sorts of risky picks.

I think Cannon is a great pick, but there's a very clear reason that right now, Iaputi did, and should, demand a higher cost.

Well, I'm not an oncologist, but I HAVE had an up-close-and-personal encounter with cancer treatment.

I experienced six weeks of a 24/7 chemo drip, PLUS weekly radiation treatments, pre-surgery, and then six weeks of weekly full-bore post-surgical chemo at age 50 for colon cancer. The post-surgical chemo was the maximum strength the doctors would give anyone and they felt comfortable submitting me to it because I was "in such good health otherwise."

I worked full-time on the road doing computer and network security and landscape gardening on the side through the initial chemo/radiation round, was off work for a couple days just prior to surgery and for about three weeks after (it was a resection, so, y'know, no lifting, though I was encouraged to walk and be physically active). Then, I went back to work fulltime right through until the last couple weeks of the heavy-duty post-surgical chemo when I was admittedly exhausted. Through it all, the doctors continued to encourage me to stay active and exercise as much as my energy levels would allow.

Within 6-8 weeks after the end of the second round of chemo, I was back to probably 80%-90% energy levels and back to pretty much doing everything I'd been doing prior to my diagnosis six months earlier (minus about 10 inches of my lower colon).

Keep in mind that I was 50 years old and certainly no trained athlete.

That said, different types of cancer require different chemo concoction regimes and the one for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma may well be much more devastating than what I had. AND, of course, each patient reacts in their own way, regardless what kind of shape they're in at the start.

If Cannon finishes chemo in early June (as I've heard he will), full participation in TC may - or may NOT - be a stretch and NFI/PUP with the potential to move to the active 53-man after camp seems reasonable, but you never know. Based on my personal experience, saying that the chances of him playing at all this season "aren't very high" is not really all that reasonable.

I defer to your expertise on this, but it must be mentioned that different people handle things differently. Had a guy at work go through chemo for colon cancer and nobody knew until he got up during our yearly health care benefits explanation meeting and talked about how everyone over 40 should go out and get a colonoscopy right now.

At the same time, another guy in the company missed about 3 months of work becuause he didn't have the energy to get out of bed.

The point is, Cannon may be fine, and hopefully hes ready and healthy for 2011, but I don't think the Patriots should be counting on him to man a spot on the line this year. He's a for-the-future type pick.

If teams hadn't doubted his ability to be ready for 2011, he would have gone in the first round.

I defer to your expertise on this, but it must be mentioned that different people handle things differently. Had a guy at work go through chemo for colon cancer and nobody knew until he got up during our yearly health care benefits explanation meeting and talked about how everyone over 40 should go out and get a colonoscopy right now.

At the same time, another guy in the company missed about 3 months of work becuause he didn't have the energy to get out of bed.

The point is, Cannon may be fine, and hopefully hes ready and healthy for 2011, but I don't think the Patriots should be counting on him to man a spot on the line this year. He's a for-the-future type pick.

If teams hadn't doubted his ability to be ready for 2011, he would have gone in the first round.

I believe I did mention this above, though it does bear repeating.

There was a consensus among the numerous medical people involved in my case that athletically-conditioned people generally have a much easier time of it and recover much quicker, especially endurance athletes. I had run distance races, including marathons, into my mid-40s, so they felt I had that going for me. I probably could have been jogging 8 weeks after the end of chemo - if I'd felt my knees would hold up (not much chance of that).

As far as Cannon being a potential 1st-rounder without the cancer diagnosis, I never saw him ranked any higher than the late 2nd and mostly early 3rd, even before the announcement, which probably came too late for most teams to do anything more than take his diagnosis at face value and make a relatively arbitrary decision.

Its fun to think about. I was on board with the Solder pick, though I wanted Kerrigan.

However, I kept thinking about getting a guard to replace Neal, and was hoping BB would get it done. Two days later he gets Cannon, a guy who has the ability to be huge for us.

Cannon and Dowling, my two favorite picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back