PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Draft 2008 & off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A boy can dream, my offseason looks like this.

The areas of most interest IMO are LB, CB and WR (in that order)
LB - Colvin, Thomas, Vrabel are back as starters, big questions at ILB with Bruschi and Seau being FAs

Internal Key Signings
WR - Moss, Stallworth (contract re-worked)
CB - Gay, damn I would love to say Samuel but don't think it will happen
LB - Bruschi comes back one more year, used in a rotation with Alexander, Lua and an unidentified veteran

External Signings
LB - I creally can't come up with any names to replace Seau, maybe Hobson from NY Jets (he is more of an OLB), or Dansby from Arizona (I think he will be expensive and I am not sold on him)

Key Losses
CB - Samuel
WR - Washington, Gaffney
LB - Seau
S - Wilson

2008 Draft
Round 1 (SF) 14 - (OLB) Quentin Groves (OLB) Auburn 6-3 250 4.46 - one dimensional but can get to the QB, takes over for Colvin in 09, allows Vrabel to take some snaps at ILB
Round 2 64 - (CB) Trae Williams (CB), South Florida 5-10 193 4.40
Round 3 (Oak) 80- (OT) Chris Williams Vanderbilt 3 6-6 315 5.25
Round 3 96 - (CB) Leodis McKelvin Troy 5-11 188 4.44
Round 4 128 - (ILB) Ben Moffitt South Florida 6-2 245 4.69
Round 5 160 - (SS/Nickel OLB) Wesley Woodyard Kentucky 6-1 215 4.49 - special teams and nickel while he develops as SS
Round 6 192 - (FB/RB) Jacob Hester LSU 5-11 228 4.63
Round 7 224 - (WR) Jordy Nelson Kansas State 6-3 215 4.62

Last edited:
SF really struggling to do anything offensively. I think they will struggle all year. I can see us picking 6-10. Would love to get Jake Long - LT - Michigan.
And, move M.Light to RT. Then draft all lb's and db's.

I have this really bad feeling about the off season where Seau and Bruschi retire, with rings of course, and the Jets over pay to get Wilson, Samuel and Gay. It would make some sense for them to do so. Granted Meriweather can probably step in and start for Wilson but it kills all of our depth.

If we lost those 5 it would mark the first time we would be drafting from a position of need in a while.

I hope that SF pick is better than 14 so we can trade down at least once.

I have this really bad feeling about the off season where Seau and Bruschi retire, with rings of course, and the Jets over pay to get Wilson, Samuel and Gay. It would make some sense for them to do so. Granted Meriweather can probably step in and start for Wilson but it kills all of our depth.

If we lost those 5 it would mark the first time we would be drafting from a position of need in a while.

I hope that SF pick is better than 14 so we can trade down at least once.

Paying big money to Revis and Dyson, and Rhodes due an extension, the Jets can't possibly over pay to get Wilson, Samuel, and Gay. Maybe if the three guys really want to play for Mangini and take a discount, but I don't think any of them are inclined to do that hitting FA for the first time in their career.

Is WR Washington gone after this year? I htought he had a 2 year deal.

Anyway, I think they'll need CBs and maybe a safety. An ILB would be ideal.

They have had good skill drafting CBs. OLB and ILB is a little trickier especially as OLBs are usually DE conversions.

So I think they'll draft a couple CBs high, like the CB from Ohio State, forgot his name (I think he would have to come out early). Maybe J Lehman ILB from ILlinois in the 4th or 5th...

Bruschi, Gay, Samuel, Wilson will all probalby be gone. There's a chance Gay and Wilson stay I think.

Woods can play OLB and "allowing Vrabel to move back inside" isn't a good thing. He's better outside, I think, and likes it there more. Good news is that ILBs are usually drafted lower and the bad news is that 3-4 ILBs are a rarity in college.

Paying big money to Revis and Dyson, and Rhodes due an extension, the Jets can't possibly over pay to get Wilson, Samuel, and Gay. Maybe if the three guys really want to play for Mangini and take a discount, but I don't think any of them are inclined to do that hitting FA for the first time in their career.

I forgot they paid Dyson the big coin. Revis is pretty cheap. But your point is taken.

I still hope we can resign at least 2/3.

I think the 49ers pick will be in the top 10, which means at least 1 of the many talented OT's will be available when we pick.

Long - Michigan
Oher - Ole Miss.
Baker - USC
Clady - Boise St.

Of these guys, I think only Long could come in and start from day 1 ala Logan Mankins.

Next we take CB Lowery San Diego St. at #61.
RB Davis of Clemson with the 3rd rounder from Oakland (#65-#70)
and Finally ILB Goff of Vandy at #95

I think the 49ers pick will be in the top 10, which means at least 1 of the many talented OT's will be available when we pick.

Long - Michigan
Oher - Ole Miss.
Baker - USC
Clady - Boise St.

Of these guys, I think only Long could come in and start from day 1 ala Logan Mankins.

I would be thrilled with that.

Long - Michigan
Oher - Ole Miss.
Baker - USC
Clady - Boise St.

Pick 61, you don't like the Pats to win the championship? Say it ain't so.

I would call that a good day 1, OT, LB, CB in any order works for me. If we get a top 10 pick it may make sense to trade back and land either Laurinaitis or Maualuga. Of the two Laurinaitis is a much better athlete but Maualuga is a big boy and could be a rare rookie who can play inside for the Pats.

I don't see running back until day 2 unless I real stud like McFadden or Stewart falls to them. Glass jaw Maroney is the main for the next 2-3 years.

After watching the Cowboys game some more speed in the back 8 would be nice but BB loves his vets.

Anyone have some ideas on who will play ILB for the Pats next year (rookies or vets accepted)? Thomas, Colvin, Vrabel are 3 out of the 4.

Bruschi can be effective around the line of scrimmage, but he looks very timid and awkward in space. Once he was the winged-god of pass coverage. IMO he should retire after this season with his dignity intact. better to leave too early than too late.

A player I would like the Pats to sign as a free agent is rb Mewelde Moore from the Vikings. He is the ideal Faulk replacement.

Obviosuly Moss should be resigned. IMO, after researching career paths of other great receivers, he has between 3 and 5 quality seasons left.

In the draft I would look at one of the Left Tackle prospects (Long, Oher, Baker, maybe Cherilus). then maybe a pass rusher, maybe Harvey, or elite ILB, maybe Laurinitis. My only concern with Laurinitis is that his father was a 'roided up professional wrestler, and I wonder if he may have helped his son's athletic career along with some "juice". I would want to make sure there was no "there" there before investing a high pick.

I would also look at Carlson, the TE from Notre Dame.

I'm intrigued by Shaun Crable's size, the OLB from Michigan.

I like Mike Hart as a late mid rd rb prospect. he's small and slow, but he's tough with great balance.

Obviously Howie Long's kid from Virginia, Chris, is worth a look at 3-4 DE.

The reason I said pick #61 is because we lost our first rounder in spygate.

It's really hard to bet against this team, I see injuries as the biggest obstacle they have left to overcome.

The reason I said pick #61 is because we lost our first rounder in spygate.

It's really hard to bet against this team, I see injuries as the biggest obstacle they have left to overcome.

I was just kidding around.. it will be pick 64 round 2, write it down.

I was just kidding around.. it will be pick 64 round 2, write it down.

It should be 63 as the First Round will only have 31 picks after the Patriots forfeit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back