PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Patriots don’t even call real passing routes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Patriots don’t even call real passing routes"

I really wish Branch wasn't an a**hole. He was a great receiver who fit what we do perefctly. If we could've kept him, even at a fairly high price, I would've been really happy.

Sounds good but Stallworth, Welker and Moss did more then just make up for Branch's loss. The problem has been a defense with NO BIG PLAY ability. How about replacing the Willie McGinest's and Ty Laws?

I wish someone would tell Ben Watson that an "option route" doesn't mean that catching the ball is optional.

:disagreement:Ben Watson is the best! Brady said so...many years ago...I think...

Re: "Patriots don’t even call real passing routes" Article

Good points all around. Not sure I get Burress' comment either. Options routes are still routes....

If Burress is right then its a good thing McDaniels got his job when he did... that would call into question his non-role as OC.

Of course Burress is far over-simplifying. There are countless situatonal plays where there's no question they have plays and routes called, and as you point out, Option routes - if a WR and QB are smart enough to take what's given to them - are still routes.

Think Seattle would take a #2 for Branch?

it's obvious they were cheating in that video. The video camera was not up in the press box, it was at field level, so Branch must have been stealing Brady's signals as he blinked his eyes in a Gaussian distribution of random numbers that Branch ran though a Kalman filter that Belichick had installed in the lenses of his eyes and besides BB can be seen up in the stadium seats using an old U.S. Navy signaling light that his dad Steve gave him from the Naval Academy surplus warehouse after John Wayne was done using it in the movie "Flying Leathernecks." True story.
The sad thing is that some Steeler or Jets fan will probably take that quote, and link it to their own fan message boards as proof that Pats fans admit that the Pats could not have won the three Super Bowls without the videogate cameras.

It's a short clip of a great story that 60 minutes did on TB. Short and sweet, Branch lines up wide, TB whispers what he's going to throw to Steve Kroft. He does a hut hut thing and hits him on a perfect slant. Kroft asks TB if it was his count numbers that that tipped off Branch and he says nope, it was the way I looked at him. Then he asks Branch how he knew where the ball would be thrown and he says "I just Knew."

Cole's narration and Burress' words don't match up. Burress' quote says the Pats could just run into space if they wished; Cole calls those option routes.

An option route isn't free-rein to run into space, like you would in playground football. An option route is a branching tree of routes with decision making cues both the receiver and QB read.

For example:

Receiver and QB both read Cover 2 coming off the line on an option route - that means yes to fly and no to out. By 10 yards, receiver and QB read the safety is dropping very deep. That says no to fly and flag but yes to curl and cross. QB and receiver then read its a Tampa 2 with the Mike dropping deep as well, making the middle open, so its yes to cross and no to curl.

yeah,thats how I see it too.....:)

"This video is not available in your country." :mad:

Chinese democracy? Oh, you have that Internet 2 thing going on, don't you?

How is that I2? Does everything have to get "filtered" before they think you can watch it?

It's going to come here eventually, and I don't look forward to it.

Don't tell Maverick this.. According to him, the Pats just called the same plays over and over again.

I wish someone would tell Ben Watson that an "option route" doesn't mean that catching the ball is optional.

LOL. When you consider his sub 50% catching rate for balls thrown his way and you add in the flubbed catches that he should have had turning into interceptions or fumbles, Ben has been vastly underachieving compared to his athletic ability level. *sigh*

LOL. When you consider his sub 50% catching rate for balls thrown his way and you add in the flubbed catches that he should have had turning into interceptions or fumbles, Ben has been vastly underachieving compared to his athletic ability level. *sigh*

There is a very big problem with you touting that number. You offer no context on it.

Of the 47 targets, Watson caught 22 and dropped 4. Of the remaining 21, 13 of them were either over-thrown, thrown away, or thrown wide. Three were batted down at the LOS. 3 were defended by whomever was covering him.

So, most of the passes that Watson didn't catch was because of bad throws. Not because of his hands.. But, you'd rather ignore that and harp on him as a player.

yeah,thats how I see it too.....:)

Option Routes are definitely pre-determined reactions to various looks and coverages. What Burress is describing is probably a "move the chains" type deal where Welker just tries to find a hole in the zone past the sticks and get a first down. I am sure it was the same with David Givens; he was a first down machine and always seemed to be in the right spot on 3rd and 1 to 8.

buress is just angry that he cant run "fake" routes...

eli manning isnt good enough

and neither is the reciever

During their SB run NYG sitched from an option principle to a more dedicated route principle, because that's what Eli needed and prospered from. Every game after Minn (a 40+ drubbing at home), they used a dedicated system. Allot of teams use option principle's we just happen to have the slot machine and the best QB in the game to pull it off to it's fullest extent. Unfortunately to the victors go the spoils.

If Burress is right then its a good thing McDaniels got his job when he did... that would call into question his non-role as OC.

How so? It would speak to a tremendous job of teaching by the coaches.

Interesting and makes sense. We've heard about how complicated the Pats offense is, how its predicated on option routes and how much its based on what the D is doing.

20 bucks says ESPN somehow - and I have no idea how - uses this to say we cheat.

There was an article on Football Outsiders about 2 years ago about how the Patriots Wide Receivers have the most complicated assignments in the nfl. What route they run is based off of what the CB in front of them does, how he lines up, etc. IE, almost never is a route set at the beginning of the play.

I can't remember what they called it, but they said a lot of receivers aren't capable of making the reads.

This helps explain why the majority of our plays in 2007 and in 2008 were the same shotgun formation. McDaniels basically called a "pass play", and the QB and receivers read the defense and made the play. Unfortunately, when it came to making adjustments or adding complexity to respond to what the defense was doing, our OC was befuddled.

This helps explain why the majority of our plays in 2007 and in 2008 were the same shotgun formation. McDaniels basically called a "pass play", and the QB and receivers read the defense and made the play. Unfortunately, when it came to making adjustments or adding complexity to respond to what the defense was doing, our OC was befuddled.

Other than, as usual, being about 100% wrong, you might be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back