PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots defensive gameplan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Lot of threads about pats offensive plan and ravens defensive response (are we the 2000 colts now?;) ) not much has been said about the pats defense other than "they need to stop the big play" . So what else do they need to do and how will they do it ? I will start off by some quotes from bedard

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard
Amazing how many people think Patriots matchup Talib vs best WR. They've only done that vs HOU (a little vs Colts). It only has 1 outside Talib, Ravens targets much taller than Pats. If I'm BAL, I'm throwing to Jacoby Jones vs Dennard all day

Patriots dont really matchup besides Wilson vs TE vs WR.

The Patriots don't want to play man today; they want to stop run while playing two-deep. They do that, they win

If Patriots are playing a lot of man, it means they need a safety to help against run. Advantage Ravens

outside Talib, Ravens targets much taller than Pats. If I'm BAL, I'm throwing to Jacoby Jones vs Dennard all day

Interesting insight from Bedard.

how about Smith gets double team often, front seven stops run. On 3rd and
long PATs in Nickle D. PATs mix up blitz packages to confuse Flacco.
PATs have some new creative plays to pressure Flacco.
Biggest thing is for PATs D to be very unpredictable at least until PATs get a good lead. if PATs get a good lead Ravens will put the game in Flacco's
hands which will probably end up in one or more turnovers.

Based on what I've heard this week, I'm pretty sure this is the defensive gameplan:

ahhhhhhhh.gif

I have to think that Ray Rice is always priority number 1. If he has a big day the Patriots are going to be in some trouble. The big plays are always a concern but putting the Ravens in 3rd and long comes first. they don't convert well at all and if they can win the TOP battle convincingly then the Patriots will win this game.

If they keep Rice in check then i see Flacco throwing 3 picks and a big Patriots win.

We're gonna need a solid game from our weakest link on D, which in my opinion is the SS position with Gregory/Chung/Wilson.

Talib on Boldon
Dennard will step up against Jones
Mcourty will sit over Smith ar safety

Front seven will have to control the LOS and take care of Rice.

We all saw how denver did when they went man so imo bb will keep a two deep zone except for a few exotic blitzes to confuse Flacco who does not move well. Chandler Jones could be big if he can get to Flacco when we rush four.

Talib on Boldon
Dennard will step up against Jones
Mcourty will sit over Smith ar safety

Front seven will have to control the LOS and take care of Rice.

We all saw how denver did when they went man so imo bb will keep a two deep zone except for a few exotic blitzes to confuse Flacco who does not move well. Chandler Jones could be big if he can get to Flacco when we rush four.

We didnt touch flacco in week 3. Hopefully it changes today, although ravens revamped oline is playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes