PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots defense leading the league in fewest PA in 4th quarter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I believe the Patriots defense no matter how bad they look at times and how low ranked they are are actually leading the league in FEWEST points allowed in the 4th quarter....

So far IIAC they have given up 24 Points in 5 games,that is better than Pittsburgh & Baltimore

When the game is on the line late in the game the defense has not broken so far and has not allowed more than 1 score,its the other 3 quarters I hope to see improvement on.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I believe the Patriots defense no matter how bad they look at times and how low ranked they are are actually leading the league in points allowed in the 4th quarter....

So far IIAC they have given up 24 Points in 5 games,that is better than Pittsburgh & Baltimore

When the game is on the line the defense has not broken so far,its the other 3 quarters I hope to see improvement on.

I think a partial explanation is the platooning that Belichick, the DC, is doing. Everyone is just fresher in the 4th Quarter. Last year they were wearing down by then and other teams were catching up and passing us by. On the DL Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Brace. Pryor,and Deadrick are seeing minutes. At OLB Cunningham, Ninkovich Crabel and TBC are playing, but TBC is being rested for availability on obvious pass rushes.

The secondary has not had as much platooning, but hopefully it will, as players get healthy.

Late For Work 10/18: Pats Reveal Secret To Halting Ravens’ O Baltimore Ravens Blogs

One of the biggest questions for the Ravens following Sunday’s 23-20 overtime loss was how the offense, which rolled through three quarters, suddenly shut down on its final five possessions.

With few answers given from players and coaches, pundits, analysts and observers pinned the problem on conservative offensive play-calling. The number of dump-offs, screens, and quick outs were not pleasing to many in the final minutes of the game.

But not everyone believes the finger can be pointed so easily at the play selections.

When Patriots defenders were asked how they turned Baltimore’s offense upside down, they said one of the keys was a tactical change in their sub package, according to ESPNBoston.com’s Mike Reiss.

First, the Pats added an extra linebacker in exchange for a defensive lineman.

Second, the change allowed the New England defense to play more coverage rather than applying more pressure.

Third, the defenders got up in Ravens receivers’ faces to disrupt the timing of the passing game.

In the end, the Pats enjoyed success when sending just three pass rushers. On those plays, New England held Flacco to 81 yards and one throw downfield for 18 yards.

“The too-easy answer is that offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, who calls the plays, became overly conservative,” wrote CSNBaltimore.com’s John Eisenberg. “Sorry, I’m not buying that.”

Mike Reiss Patriots Post Game Report - ESPN Video - ESPN

But according to the buffoons in Boston media, the Ravens just gifted it away by being conservative. It has nothing to do with our players, coaches. It is all the opponent's large heartedness.

This Patriots victory had that nice old-time feel - The Boston Globe
The Ravens were conspirators in their demise, no question. For some odd reason, the team that trashed the Patriots last Jan. 10 in that miserable playoff game and that had dominated the first three quarters of this game went stone-cold conservative on offense. Joe Flacco (27 of 35, 285 yards, two TDs, no picks) was ordered to hand it off rather than pass it in overtime, and the results were a pair of three-and-outs and one drive of 35 yards. No doubt Belichick & Co. already have offered the silent prayer of thanks to Baltimore offensive coordinator Cam Cameron (Hey, wasn’t he the guy who flamed out in Miami?).

I’d be willing to bet that Coach Bill and his staff sat around afterward saying, “Can anyone here explain what just happened?’’ The Patriots did have lots of stagnant moments, and it’s not very often you get three cracks to win in an NFL overtime. The Patriots also badly squandered a chance to win in regulation, marching for a first down at the Baltimore 13, trailing, 20-17, with just over two minutes left, before stalling out and having to settle for a tying Gostkowski field goal from 24 yards.

Clueless. Just clueless analysts. No brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back