PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots defense fatigued...the new NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the OP's premise which is why I think last night's win was huge especially in jockeying for home field in the playoffs. At least we won't be playing an AFCCG in that dome with Polian turning the heat on high a la 2006.

I agree with the OP's premise which is why I think last night's win was huge especially in jockeying for home field in the playoffs. At least we won't be playing an AFCCG in that dome with Polian turning the heat on high a la 2006.

Not a given. Jets win the division anything could happen.

Fatigue set in largely because the offense started going into 3 and out mode like it did last season at the wrong time. Manning cut the lead to 10, and on their opening play, the offense comes out in an empty backfield formation, when it made absolutely no sense in any way to be doing that. The goal should have been to run clock, they had been running on the Colts all day, and they were playing against a defense that thrives on teams not using the run.

He played well, but Brady harping on how he's "more comfortable" in the shotgun ever since PollardGate is a cause for concern if it doesn't stop. Once Manning cut the lead to 10 their next drive they should have come out in the ace formation with Crumpler and Gronk at tight end, and they should have used play action a few times. Crumpler and Gronk were blocking Mathis and Freeney without any help on running plays, that front would have been most advantageous at the time.

No huddle and Manning on 3rd down.. well its always going to be tough.

This. The Colts and their no huddle not only tires you out but keeps you from subbing fresh players during a drive.

Are there really people on this board that didn't know Manning was gonna get a ton of yards passing. He's been doing that to us for a long time,

To us and every other team in the NFL.

The d-line needs to be improved in the off-season.There was no pass rush and this team hardly blitz.I thought the 34 defense was about blitzing.Our corners are still a weak spot.:mad:Too much time to throw the football.

A 1 gap 3-4 is about blitzing. A 2 gap 3-4 is about occupying the OL, freeing up the lb's and secondary to make plays behind them. Even with Seymour/Warren/Wilfork in their primes, this team wasn't about pressure from the DL and didn't blitz a ton. Those three occupied the blockers and you had smart, instinctive, veteran players like Vrable, Bru, Harrison etc who made the plays behind them. This unit will get there.

However, I agree that yes, another stud 3-4 DE would be nice as would another OLB who can get to the qb with regularity. This defense would be scary deep and young.

We need upgrades at a couple of positions but this young D is improving and will continue to improve. It will be interesting to see who is on the FA market this year.

Also, lets keep hoping that Oakland, Carolina, and the Vikes keep on losing enough to put us in good position come next April.

Gotta shore up the pass D. I would love to see another strong and fast (non-smurf) CB and speedy OLB. Meanwhile, that Monday night game is as big a regular season game as we've had in some time. A W puts us in good position to be relaxing on wild card weekend and playing at home the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes